IGNORED

Royal Families (Sweden, specificially) anyone?

notfundy

Monaco has an interesting royal family for sure, even though it has its skeletons! I don't really follow them and could care less, but I do enjoy celebrity gossip whether it is a celebrity or some kind of royal family official cheating on their spouse. 

On 9. Januar 2016 at 8:54 PM, Palimpsest said:

<snip> The European royals seem more down-to-earth than the British. </snip>

Maybe it was just a typo, but sorry, can't let this slide: Britain is in Europe.

Now on to the actual topic of this thread: I like the Dutch royals. Those girls are cute!

3 hours ago, Paperplate said:

Maybe it was just a typo, but sorry, can't let this slide: Britain is in Europe.

Now on to the actual topic of this thread: I like the Dutch royals. Those girls are cute!

Not speaking for @Palimpsest, but I don't think it was a typo. I think "British royals" and "European royals" is a perfectly acceptable way to group them and I think her meaning was clear. "British royals" and "Continental royals" might be preferable to some, but would exclude Scandinavia by most definitions (and they have some royals we definitely don't want to exclude :D). Indeed, I've heard many Brits as well as other Europeans of various nationalities refer to them this way.

5 hours ago, Paperplate said:

This I know, being British by birth. :my_biggrin: 

And what @withaj said - although I suppose I could have said the "other" European royals.

I will never cease to be amazed at how Sweden's current aristocracy are descended from a common born Frenchman.  Personally, it's the French aspect which is odd to me, though at the time he ascended the throne, it was his "base" birth to which people objected: http://www.thelocal.se/20100423/26250

History is awesome, and also so weird. 

5 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

I will never cease to be amazed at how Sweden's current aristocracy are descended from a common born Frenchman.  Personally, it's the French aspect which is odd to me, though at the time he ascended the throne, it was his "base" birth to which people objected: http://www.thelocal.se/20100423/26250

History is awesome, and also so weird. 

Yep. I find the history of elective monarchy, particularly in Scandinavia, fascinating. 

2 hours ago, withaj said:

Not speaking for @Palimpsest, but I don't think it was a typo. I think "British royals" and "European royals" is a perfectly acceptable way to group them and I think her meaning was clear. "British royals" and "Continental royals" might be preferable to some, but would exclude Scandinavia by most definitions (and they have some royals we definitely don't want to exclude :D). Indeed, I've heard many Brits as well as other Europeans of various nationalities refer to them this way.

59 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

This I know, being British by birth. :my_biggrin: 

And what @withaj said - although I suppose I could have said the "other" European royals.

Ok, ok.

It just always rubs me the wrong way when people (i.e. non-Europeans) act as if Britain isn't as much a part of Europe as any other European country. Contrasting "British" with "European" implies that. But Europe isn't divided into Britain and a clump of other countries.

Back to the topic: How much longer will the European monarchies last?

22 minutes ago, Paperplate said:

Ok, ok.

It just always rubs me the wrong way when people (i.e. non-Europeans) act as if Britain isn't as much a part of Europe as any other European country. Contrasting "British" with "European" implies that. But Europe isn't divided into Britain and a clump of other countries.

Back to the topic: How much longer will the European monarchies last?

Perhaps we should break that news to the British!  :pb_lol:

18 hours ago, FundieFarmer said:

In case anyone loves following the fashion, as well as the historical jewels, of the royals as much as I do: http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com

Every time you post I think "OMG Fundie Farmer and I are soulmates" except you're already getting married so maybe we're just twins :pb_lol: I think I posted this earlier. Love love love Splendorists.

8 minutes ago, withaj said:

Every time you post I think "OMG Fundie Farmer and I are soulmates" except you're already getting married so maybe we're just twins :pb_lol: I think I posted this earlier. Love love love Splendorists.

I could get with that!!!! It's so my favorite site. It makes me wish I lived a slightly more formal life. But only slightly. 

2 minutes ago, FundieFarmer said:

I could get with that!!!! It's so my favorite site. It makes me wish I lived a slightly more formal life. But only slightly. 

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having a tiara to wear in the bathtub a la Princess Margaret.

MARGARET+BATH+full.jpg

1 hour ago, FundieFarmer said:

When I was little, my FAVORITE edition of Nat Geo had the British crown jewels.  I could have WORN that thing out.  (I spent a lot of time imagining I was the REAL queen.  ROFL)

Now, I just spend my time oogling at OSS and the sister sites.  Did either of you follow Luxerazzi's (sp?) tiara competition this summer?!  Oh my tiara!  I was drooling.

4 minutes ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

When I was little, my FAVORITE edition of Nat Geo had the British crown jewels.  I could have WORN that thing out.  (I spent a lot of time imagining I was the REAL queen.  ROFL)

Now, I just spend my time oogling at OSS and the sister sites.  Did either of you follow Luxerazzi's (sp?) tiara competition this summer?!  Oh my tiara!  I was drooling.

I don't follow Luxarazzi super closely, but did see some of the tiara stuff. Pretty fun. (I do really like Stephanie and Guillaume.)

1 hour ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Prince Carl Philip is hot.  

He is a good-looking dude. All of the Swedish royals of their generation are. It's really interesting how very different Victoria, Madeleine, and Carl Philip all look, though (Victoria is the SPITTING image of her mother -- that chin! -- with a few features from her father thrown in to the mix).

47 minutes ago, withaj said:

He is a good-looking dude. All of the Swedish royals of their generation are. It's really interesting how very different Victoria, Madeleine, and Carl Philip all look, though (Victoria is the SPITTING image of her mother -- that chin! -- with a few features from her father thrown in to the mix).

Princess Madeleine looks more like Princess Sibylla (her paternal grandmother) to me.

22 minutes ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Princess Madeleine looks more like Princess Sibylla (her paternal grandmother) to me.

Yes, I do think Madeleine favors Sibylla. And Carl Philip definitely has his father's wider-set eyes and perhaps his mouth, though he got at least got Silvia's chin, so his face is much better-proportioned than his father's.

Aww, little future queen Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway is growing up! The palace just released photos for her 12th birthday. I love that she looks her age. Also, talk about a kid that looks just like BOTH her parents! 

2016-01-25-1.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is old (older than Prince Oscar lol), but I don't know how we didn't talk about it. Princess Madeline threw a royal tea party for kids a part of one of her charities. She came dressed in full formal dress. Gown she wore to the Nobel Prize, Orders, and tiara. The pictures are awesome. She even brought her kids. Too bad they weren't wearing their baby Order sashes. Yes, the King inducts newborns into the highest order and there are baby sashes.

http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20395222_20989052,00.html

I can't figure out how to insert pics to show Princess Estelle wearing her baby sash at her christening. :( 

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2016 at 6:56 PM, lynn0810 said:

This is old (older than Prince Oscar lol), but I don't know how we didn't talk about it. Princess Madeline threw a royal tea party for kids a part of one of her charities. She came dressed in full formal dress. Gown she wore to the Nobel Prize, Orders, and tiara. The pictures are awesome. She even brought her kids. Too bad they weren't wearing their baby Order sashes. Yes, the King inducts newborns into the highest order and there are baby sashes.

http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20395222_20989052,00.html

I can't figure out how to insert pics to show Princess Estelle wearing her baby sash at her christening. :( 

Baby sashes are the best! When Prince Nicolas got his I actually squeed.

No one has mentioned the Danish royals, yet. I really admire CP Mary, but it's my understanding that she's not well-liked. Do any Danes here have any insight to this if it's true? The video of Fredrick standing at the altar holding back tears is so sweet; he was so happy to be getting married to his love.

No one has mentioned the new Swedish royal baby, Prince Alexander. I'm rather liking the fact that they're going with a less traditional name, even though it can be considered a traditional name, supposedly "No Swedish royals have been called Alexander, although during the 1800s, some princes had it as one of their names."

http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20395222_21002201,00.html

http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20395222_21001558,00.html

Archived