IGNORED

Royal Families (Sweden, specificially) anyone?

notfundy

Does anyone here besides me have a slight or not-so-slight infatuation with the royal families of Europe?  

Interesting to know they still exist, beyond the British Kate & William we tend to read more about in the U.S. press.  

The eventual queen of Sweden (after her grandfather the King and ger mother the Crown Princess)  will be Princess Estelle of Sweden.  I think she's four years old now and she is incredibly cute.  Here's a picture of her with her parents.   

There are entire tumblr blogs devoted to her!   Just another (more pleasant) rabbit hole to fall into.

Princess Estelle of Sweden Kicks up Her Heels in Adorable Royal Family Photo

Future Supreme Queen Estelle 5ever. She is absolutely adorable.

My mind tells me "no, monarchies are antiquated and the money for their upkeep would be better spent on improving healthcare, education, science, technology, et cetera" but my heart tells me "PRETTY DRESSES AND ADORABLE PRINCESSES AND ALSO CORGIS YES THESE ARE ALL AWESOME LET'S KEEP THEM FOREVER"

Some FJite, whomever it was I can't remember now, posted a link a few years ago how the European monarchies actually tended to bring way more money into the economy through tourism than they cost the country. .

Princess Estelle is adorable and I love that leg lifted high!

Princess Estelle looks like she has a spark in her eyes.   

Estelle is adorable.  Isn't Victoria pregnant again?  The European royals seem more down-to-earth than the British. 

I don't follow the royals really but I have a soft spot for Queen Marguerite of Denmark's dress sense.    Unlike QEII, who seems to have decided on a style in 1952 and never changed, Daisy rocks the gowns and has some really off-beat combinations.  She is quirky. I only wish she'd leave off the furs because I prefer fur on its original owner.

One of my friends is really into the royals especially their hats and fashion.  She also swoons over tiaras.  She spends probably as much time on Sartorial Splendor as I do on FJ and most of what I know about the royals comes from her.

The adults in that photo appear to be the same person, just dressed differently and photoshopped together. I assume the pair is husband and wife, not brother and sister (or a guy in drag photoshopped into a photo of himself and his child)? Is she royal born also, like they are actually cousins or something?

5 minutes ago, Mrsaztx said:

The adults in that photo appear to be the same person, just dressed differently and photoshopped together. I assume the pair is husband and wife, not brother and sister (or a guy in drag photoshopped into a photo of himself and his child)? Is she royal born also, like they are actually cousins or something?

They are husband and wife.  Crown Princess Victoria is the blood royal, her husband (who was her personal trainer) wasn't born royal, but became Prince Daniel upon marrying Sweden's (most likely) future Queen.  

5 minutes ago, Mrsaztx said:

Unless Sweden is playing a serious prank on the rest of the world, they're all real. ;) He used to be her fitness instructor, is a "commoner", not related, as far as I'm aware. But I agree, they do look very similar.

I am obsessed with the British royals, and have recently found that I enjoyed reading about Sweden's royals as well. So neat! :) I even remember being angry with my then-boyfriend that we hadn't gotten engaged and married on the same day as Kate and William. *blush*

Sidenote: my husband's side thru the male line are almost directly related to Prince Philip whose cousin, Julia of Battenberg, is the link to my husband's family. BOOM.

I love Sartorial Splendor.  I could look at tiaras for hours . . . . 

I go through phases with royals.  I'll be on the pages for forever and then not go back for months.

I vaguely follow them through Suri's Burn Book. Estelle is such a cutie with a top-notch wardrobe. I also like little Miss Infanta Sofía.

19 hours ago, Geechee Girl said:

I vaguely follow them through Suri's Burn Book. Estelle is such a cutie with a top-notch wardrobe. I also like little Miss Infanta Sofía.

Yes, sofia may be cute, but her aunt and uncle are schedule to be trialed tomortow morning, for corruption. Her grandfather used to go on trips to botswana with his lover to hunt elephants, those trips being paid by the state.

Royals can go fuck themselves and get a job

On 9/1/2016 at 8:48 PM, FlamingFundie said:

I am obsessed with the British royals, and have recently found that I enjoyed reading about Sweden's royals as well. So neat! :) I even remember being angry with my then-boyfriend that we hadn't gotten engaged and married on the same day as Kate and William. *blush*

Sidenote: my husband's side thru the male line are almost directly related to Prince Philip whose cousin, Julia of Battenberg, is the link to my husband's family. BOOM.

Ummm Julia of Battenberg (Julia von Hauke) was the paternal great grandmother of Prince Philip.

15 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Ummm Julia of Battenberg (Julia von Hauke) was the paternal great grandmother of Prince Philip.

Bah. My apologies. Not sure why I recalled cousin. These royal genealogy flow charts are sometimes confusing for me. *blush* Especially since so many weave in and out of the same families. Thank you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battenberg_family#Relations_to_royal_families

22 minutes ago, FlamingFundie said:

Bah. My apologies. Not sure why I recalled cousin. These royal genealogy flow charts are sometimes confusing for me. *blush* Especially since so many weave in and out of the same families. Thank you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battenberg_family#Relations_to_royal_families

No problem. I'm really good at genealogies, especially the Battenbergs.. I would be fascinated to know the genealogy of your husband, if you're okay with it you can PM me! I did articles about them in Royal Central :)

I mostly follow the British Royal Family, but the Swedish Royal Family is my second favorite. Princess Estelle is so adorable. The SRF is just more laid back and that makes them more fun to follow. I would drop dead if The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge ever did a photo similar to the one in this thread of the Crown Princess family. I also appreciate that the Swedish love to wear tiaras. The BRF is so stinking stingy with their tiara occasions and even stingier with releasing photos. I was shocked when they allowed a live stream of the China state visit in London. I follow a bit of the Dutch Royals too. I was so mad I could not get off of work to see King Williem-Alexander and Queen Maxima when they came to Michigan. 

(seriously NO offense meant here but...) Why on earth did they go to Michigan? I could see people traveling to big-name, exciting places like New York City, Los Angeles, places like that. But, Michigan?!

6 hours ago, FlamingFundie said:

(seriously NO offense meant here but...) Why on earth did they go to Michigan? I could see people traveling to big-name, exciting places like New York City, Los Angeles, places like that. But, Michigan?!

No offense taken. Michigan has a very high population of Dutch people. It was their last stop after seeing President Obama and a stop in Chicago. Since it was their first visit here since Williem-Alexander ascended to the throne it made sense for them to stop somewhere with a high Dutch population. 

Royals tend to go to oddball places when it isn't a fundraising trip such as The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's NYC or L.A. visits. 

On 1/9/2016 at 1:50 PM, PennySycamore said:

Some FJite, whomever it was I can't remember now, posted a link a few years ago how the European monarchies actually tended to bring way more money into the economy through tourism than they cost the country. .

Princess Estelle is adorable and I love that leg lifted high!

I don't know if this is it, but it's similar to what you are talking about at least:

On 14/1/2016 at 3:56 AM, Boogalou said:

I don't know if this is it, but it's similar to what you are talking about at least:

That only fits the royal of the UK. For the rest is different. Amd the biggest problem i have with them is the way they laugh at our face. At least in spain.

Ahh, how did I miss this thread before? Yeah I'm a little obsessed, more with the continental royals than William & Catherine, though their kids are suuuuper cute.

Queen Margarethe (not Marguerite) is badass. Love Daisy!

The Swedes are currently my favorite since they've had so much going on the last few years (wedding! baby! another baby! another wedding! another baby on the way! plus another baby on the way!) and they're so accessible. Madeleine and Chris recently did a really adorable appearance and interview of sorts on, I think, a Swedish talk show based in London (it was in English).

If you don't read the Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor blog, you're seriously missing out. (Large Estelle fan club there, to boot.)

http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com

2 hours ago, withaj said:

Ahh, how did I miss this thread before? Yeah I'm a little obsessed, more with the continental royals than William & Catherine, though their kids are suuuuper cute.

Queen Margarethe (not Marguerite) is badass. Love Daisy!

The Swedes are currently my favorite since they've had so much going on the last few years (wedding! baby! another baby! another wedding! another baby on the way! plus another baby on the way!) and they're so accessible. Madeleine and Chris recently did a really adorable appearance and interview of sorts on, I think, a Swedish talk show based in London (it was in English).

If you don't read the Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor blog, you're seriously missing out. (Large Estelle fan club there, to boot.)

http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com

Quoting because the edit window ended -- it's Margrethe, not Margarethe (or Marguerite) but autocorrect added an extra A :) 

I don't follow Swedish royalty, but my paternal grandmother's middle name was Ingeborg, and she said that was in honor of Princess Ingeborg, who married Prince Carl of Sweden in 1897.  Apparently, she was quite popular in Sweden.  Per Wikepedia, "Ingeborg was admired for her handling of the economic difficulties experienced when a bank they invested in crashed in 1922 and they had to sell their home. She was portrayed as a symbol of a wife and mother in many magazines and was for many years the most popular member of the royal house."

My grandmother was born in the United States (I think right around the time of Ingeborg and Carl's marriage), and both her parents were Swedish immigrants.

1 hour ago, FundieFarmer said:

Omg I'm the biggest tumblr fangirl of royal families ever.

If I allowed myself to tumbl I would be incorrigible. I would also never, ever sleep.

Archived