IGNORED

Bontrager family hobnobbing with Ted Cruz

NachosFlandersStyle

Ted Cruz is rolling out a group called "Homeschoolers for Cruz," and Marlin Bontrager, patriarch of the singing family,  gets top billing as chair. I guess they're the most prominent Iowa homeschoolers? Anyway, it sounds like the Cruz group is going to campaign nationally. The Bontragers have a post up on their blog about singing at one of his events. I'm picturing a bus tour like the Duggars did for Santorum, guess we'll have to wait and see. If Cruz does well, I could see this raising the family's profile a bit. 

http://blog.4president.org/2016/2016/01/ted-cruz-for-president-announces-homeschoolers-for-cruz-coalition-totaling-6670-members.html

Ohhh, shit. My family is tight with the Bontragers and have spent a lot of time at their house. I knew they were pretty hardcore (as has been my family) but had no idea they had these sort of connections in fundieland, that's creep as fuck! Not cool, not cool at all.

• 4 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, doggie said:

come on duggers where you at?

sobbing over Huckabee's suspended campaign, I guess?

This sentence in the Bontrager tv profile really got to me:

"All of the elder Bontrager siblings, including Carson, who is 20, live at home and help out on the farm, though they also have additional jobs and hobbies apart from music and agriculture. Allison, 21, is interested in pursuing a career in editing and public relations; Joshua has thought of running for public office someday."

That's bullshit, Bontragers, and you know it. She's homeschooled, isn't pursuing any sort of higher education, and is being raised to be a stay at home wife & mother. 

Thanks for posting the article. I love the comments from Matt Wells.

I am close to all of the members of this family. You don't know a thing about them. They love each other and they are kind to everyone. I count my blessings every time I'm around the dinner table with them. Saturday, we spent hours talking and laughing without a TV or anything to get in the way of being with one another. I count the oldest 4 among my closest and dearest friends and Marlin and Becky are the best parents I've ever seen. I'd appreciate it if you didn't talk about people you don't know in such a judgemental tone.

Todd, you need help. They had nothing to gain by accepting me as a friend other than the fact that we share similar beliefs and ideas. Marlin helped me find my church home. I have cookies from Allison in my refrigerator (her no bake cookies are the best thing ever, I'm not kidding) and I've done much work with them in the political arena but I've also just had Sunday dinner at their house because they are kind. When Chelsy takes care of our pastor's children, it isn't because she wants fame or notoriety, it's because she has a heart for little children unlike anyone I've ever met.
I ask you to leave them alone. Find someone else to bother. Better yet, find Jesus and know peace. I asked about why you are bitter. I know the truth. I think you need some help. I was sent the link to this story by one of the family members because I know them(in real life). Meaning, I didn't search for it like you have. Let it go. Find another outlet for your time and energy. Please, leave this family alone.

I love them like they are my own family. When I moved to Iowa, Marlin was one of the first people to greet me and get to know me. Since then, they've shown what true Christian love looks like. They reach so many people when they travel and sing. Feel free to come to Kalona, IA on Labor Day and I'll introduce you to my friends. They have a festival at their farm every year at that time. You could see what I see. A family that still talks to each other and loves one another.

It's interesting that the family spends 6 months on the road performing and have a number of investments. They must make some money performing. I wonder if they pay their children for performing.

Today, the family spends six months a year on the road, performing at venues across the United States, Canada and Mexico. The shows combine traditional entertainment with a strong evangelical Christian message.

When they’re not on tour, the Bontragers are back in Kalona, tending to the family’s 500-acre corn and soybean farm. The family also owns a hotel in town, the Dutch Country Inn, and are shareholders in a biodiesel plant in central Iowa.

Trip Advisor Review of the Hotel:http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g38033-d645786-Reviews-Dutch_Country_Inn-Kalona_Iowa.html

I know they also have livestock--a dairy and some hogs, not sure how many. Funny they never mention hired help, which is what they'd have to have to be gone so much. Cows have to be milked 2X a day and all the stock have to be fed, watered, and beds tended to etc. Most farmers I know can't afford to be gone from home as much as these folks are.

54 minutes ago, maple802 said:

I know they also have livestock--a dairy and some hogs, not sure how many. Funny they never mention hired help, which is what they'd have to have to be gone so much. Cows have to be milked 2X a day and all the stock have to be fed, watered, and beds tended to etc. Most farmers I know can't afford to be gone from home as much as these folks are.

They do talk about their hired hands on their website. I think they have chickens too, which the kids help with.

Archived