IGNORED

Erika Shupe *grim rictus* Large Families on Purpose Part 4

keen23

41 minutes ago, WhiteRun said:

My dogs need at least 2 clean, fresh bowls of water and I'm so so strict on that. 
Can't her kids learn responsibilities by taking the dog out?!
Happy is probably supplementing water for whatever it can find which is bound to end badly. 

Remember, this is a woman who didn't trust her 9 year old son to bathe himself properly and insisted on doing it for him. It already seems like Karen and Melanie are in charge of most of Happy's needs. I doubt she'd let any of the younger kids take on any other responsibilities involved. 

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just when I think my opinion of someone cannot go any lower Eirka goes and brags about restricting and scheduling a poor dog to water and peeing twice a day. 

Fuck You Erika, may you grow old and be put in an awful nursing home where you are only offered a ship of water twice a day.  

Free Happy!

3 hours ago, 16strong said:

Chiropractors for everyone! ...even the dog. *CHUCKLE*

I was curious, so a google search lead me to find that veterinary chiropractics is a thing.  Clearly, people do not have enough money and are desperate for people to take theirs away.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqqXOMg4mJk

5 hours ago, Pianokeeper said:

Of course, this is an entirely different situation from just... not wanting to take your dog out.  Goodness.  And I thought the belly band things were for dogs who for age or other reasons couldn't hold it any more, not just convenience...?

I hadn't heard of belly bands so I googled them.  It appears they are designed to discourage male dogs from scent-marking with urine -- when the dog tries to mark, 1) no scent goes onto whatever they were trying to mark, which makes it less likely they will try to re-mark that same spot based on finding their own scent there, and 2) they will feel the "discomfort" of the band being wet -- which I have no idea if that would actually discourage a dog, since I don't know that they would make the connection between trying to scent-mark and suddenly finding their belly feeling wet. But that's what the site I looked at claimed, at least.

@Eternalbluepearl: You have summed up why although I like dogs, I don't own dogs.  Instead, I have cats, who don't need to be walked and who think sleeping in on a rainy morning is purrfect.

Of course Erika would probably have freakouts about litter boxes...

2 hours ago, desertvixen said:

Of course Erika would probably have freakouts about litter boxes...

If you have ever thought, "I wish I had a literal box of crap in my house right now," a cat may be the pet for you!

18 minutes ago, Honeysuckle said:

If you have ever thought, "I wish I had a literal box of crap in my house right now," a cat may be the pet for you!

Proud owner of a literal box of shit. :D

Yup, I like dogs, I donate to various animal charities, I enjoy other people's dogs but I don't want one of my own.  Besides, my feline headship wouldn't approve.  Erika seems like less of a dog person than I am.  I hope she gives him more water when it's warm, at least, but I'm not holding my breath.  Maybe Karen and Melanie sneak him some extra water (or has Erika found a way to lock the faucets)?

Poor Happy sounds as if he may be anything but happy. I'm not a dog person, but I would take this dog in a heartbeat if it meant he could have a normal dog's life...you know, where he's got access to water whenever he feels thirsty, not when it conveniences the control freak who owns him.

Talk about a literal box of crap - my family used to live in an old farmhouse out a rather rural area. Random cats would show up from time to time, so we'd set bowls of food and water out for whoever may need it, and when it got cold, we'd let them in when they wanted a warm place to be. One year we had about two feet of snow outside and six cats inside. I had to clean that box out so many times a day over a week span that I lost count.

I didn't mind, even though I certainly didn't enjoy it. The cats gotta go when they gotta go, and in that weather, I'd far prefer scooping cat poop inside to scooping dog poop outside.

I literally LOLd at thinking about Erika having a cat like mine.

Food bowl is empty at four in the morning. Cat gently inserts claw into my nostril and tugs to let me know. 

After feeding cat and falling back into bed, cat re-awakens me so I can tell her how pretty she is while she eats. 

Cat lays on computer while I try to type an assignment for school.

Cat vomits in the most inconvenient places, then purrs while I clean it up.

Cat is generally an adorable pain in the ass. I don't think Erika wouldn't last a day with one like any of the ones I've had (the cat she pet-sat before being an obvious exception. Apparently it was really low maintenance?).

23 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

Food bowl is empty at four in the morning. Cat gently inserts claw into my nostril and tugs to let me know. 

Well, what do you expect when you fail your headship in such blatant manner? Proud servant of 2 big, hungry cats here.

Also, Erika should have no pets, or children, or much human interaction in general.

15 hours ago, LovelyLuna said:

Just when I think my opinion of someone cannot go any lower Eirka goes and brags about restricting and scheduling a poor dog to water and peeing twice a day. 

Fuck You Erika, may you grow old and be put in an awful nursing home where you are only offered a ship of water twice a day.  

Free Happy!

Karma's a beyotch & will be paying her a visit. Her & any other asshole pos that is cruel to an animal or child.

1 hour ago, princessmahina said:

After feeding cat and falling back into bed, cat re-awakens me so I can tell her how pretty she is while she eats. 

Cat is generally an adorable pain in the ass. I don't think Erika wouldn't last a day with one like any of the ones I've had (the cat she pet-sat before being an obvious exception. Apparently it was really low maintenance?).

Reading old posts/looking at old photos, I think they once had a cat, like years ago when Karen and Melanie were still small and they lived in an apartment. But then when they moved and had a ton more kids Erika probably thought she wouldn't get another cat. There was some photo of one of the girls cat-sitting and Erika was commenting asking whether it was really necessary for cats to have a litter box each. 

Erika seems like she was a little less psycho when Karen and Melanie were really young. Perhaps old Erika could handle a cat, but new, neurotic Erika couldn't possibly do it. She seems like she's barely hanging on right now as it is. 

1 hour ago, princessmahina said:

Erika seems like she was a little less psycho when Karen and Melanie were really young. Perhaps old Erika could handle a cat, but new, neurotic Erika couldn't possibly do it. She seems like she's barely hanging on right now as it is. 

She is clearly full of anxieties and worries.  Her writing is very pompous and self-assured, but the few speaking clips she's released show much more nervous energy.  I think the writing reveals her need to over-control and over-plan every aspect of her world to keep things going her own way.  She's also absurdly image-conscious.  I agree, @defraudingjezebel, if Happy had serious issues, Happy would be rehomed, and also replaced -- because what happy home doesn't have a dog?  I think it fits with her mental image of "how a godly family looks," so she has one. However, she can't let the kids learn responsibility by taking care of it, nor can she relinquish control over the dog's bladder, so everything remains under Erika's psychotic rule.  

In a way, I get it.  Having a lot of kids is stressful. When I watch a group of kids, I worry about them breaking bones, breaking each other, breaking windows...and that's just short-term watching.  If that hypothetical group were all my own children, I'd also have to worry about feeding them, paying for their insurance, keeping them clothed, discussing the world, identifying emotions,  helping with schoolwork, providing for their college educations, etc.  I'd be a mess if I had eleventy kids, so I didn't have eleventy kids.  It didn't seem like a good idea, even if they were cute.  

3 hours ago, princessmahina said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ffwDYo00Q

4 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Reading old posts/looking at old photos, I think they once had a cat, like years ago when Karen and Melanie were still small and they lived in an apartment. But then when they moved and had a ton more kids Erika probably thought she wouldn't get another cat. There was some photo of one of the girls cat-sitting and Erika was commenting asking whether it was really necessary for cats to have a litter box each. 

My parents used just the one when we had two cats. I know you're not supposed to do that but they cleaned it everyday and all. I think 2 to 1 is livable, but 3 to 1 is asking for a disaster and/or territorial issues. It also depends on the personality of your cat -- how much shit will they tolerate in the shit box before they start to shirt elsewhere in protest? Are they bonded or super territorial? Some are more or less picky about this.

19 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I was curious, so a google search lead me to find that veterinary chiropractics is a thing.  Clearly, people do not have enough money and are desperate for people to take theirs away.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqqXOMg4mJk

My gramma, in addition to making sure her dogs go to the vet regularly, also had had them get massages and swimming therapy. It was to help ease pain in their joints as they were getting older. I don't know if she's brought her dogs to a chiropractor, but I could see her doing it. 

She loves taking care of her dogs and gets a lot of enjoyment from them, and they certainly adore her, so I think it's probably money well spent. 

But, she also wouldn't think of depriving her dogs of water nor would she go to alternative treatments first before consulting with her veterinarian. 

Many dogs will self-regulate their water. I know of some that wait till their owners are home to take a big drink, even though they have access all day.

And housebreaking an average, not-stressed dog should take a month MAX.

25 minutes ago, Antimony said:

My parents used just the one when we had two cats. I know you're not supposed to do that but they cleaned it everyday and all. I think 2 to 1 is livable, but 3 to 1 is asking for a disaster and/or territorial issues. It also depends on the personality of your cat -- how much shit will they tolerate in the shit box before they start to shirt elsewhere in protest? Are they bonded or super territorial? Some are more or less picky about this.

We have one for three cats. It gets cleaned every day, and doesn't seem to be an issue. I always kind of thought that was more of a guideline than a rule, to paraphrase a delightful pirate :pb_lol:

19 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

I hadn't heard of belly bands so I googled them.  It appears they are designed to discourage male dogs from scent-marking with urine -- when the dog tries to mark, 1) no scent goes onto whatever they were trying to mark, which makes it less likely they will try to re-mark that same spot based on finding their own scent there, and 2) they will feel the "discomfort" of the band being wet -- which I have no idea if that would actually discourage a dog, since I don't know that they would make the connection between trying to scent-mark and suddenly finding their belly feeling wet. But that's what the site I looked at claimed, at least.

Ugh, no matter which post I try to quote, or even just regular reply like now, that quote shows up ^^^

The last town we lived in, we had the most amazing vet. Our dog is old and she has arthritis and incontinence issues and the vet would give her chiropractic adjustments at our visits. I had never heard of such a thing before that, but they really helped her a lot and only added something like ten bucks to the bill.

We had only one litter pan for awhile for my 2 cats... Turns out one of them got super territorial and wouldn't let the other go in that pan. 

Once we got two litter pans that same cat got super territorial over the food. She would eat all the food so the second cat couldn't.

Erika's behaviour is probably the most disturbing I've read about.

Even the Duggars / Quiverful make some sort of sense - they subscribe to a semi-coherent belief system if nothing else. She on the other hand clearly has out of control mental health issues and not much else going on.

I hope the kids make it out ok but I'm far from convinced they will.

Back to the dog peeing training thing, we still haven't fully trained our cockapoo dog yet, but we haven't been hyper-vigilant about it unfortunately. Sometimes our dog hits the bell he needs to ring, but more often than not when he goes outside he just messes around. They're supposedly intelligent dogs, but I've also heard that they can be a little slower than other dogs, although I'm not sure if that's relating to reaching full maturity or cottoning on to training. We do take him outside regularly, and give him treats etc, but a lot of the time he just messes around not really doing anything. My mum is a SAHM though, and SURPRISE SURPRISE can be bothered to take him outside. Hopefully our dog will cotton on eventually. 

Also: for a while when I checked the FB page, some of the recent posts were missing as I scrolled down, like the snow day posts etc. I could see the photos, just not the posts on the main page. Going back to the page now, the posts have magically reappeared. I'm confused.

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived