IGNORED

Jill & Jessa Special, Part 2: The Spurgening

keen23

This was the add on menu at the restaurant I went to on New Years.  Everyone thought I was nuts when I started laughing upon receipt.

I have no idea why its oriented sideways... 

sturgeon1.jpg

"The Spurgening" sounds like a parody of a horror movie.  

At the Aquarium in Chattanooga you can pet Sturgeons.  You can pet sharks too.  The Shark petting was more recent than the Sturgeon petting.  Now I sound like a molester of fish.  

The sturgeons were a little icky.  I'm not a river, lake, or ocean person.  Pools are where it's at!  The little bonnet head shark was sort of like a Labrador!  It wanted to be petted and was obnoxious about it!

I just spent far too long trying to figure out why I couldn't quote a post from the last thread! 

Regarding laws on the books that could catch the fake midwife - it depends on the state for specifics and I'm not familiar with their state's laws, but yes, most (maybe all) states have laws against practicing midwifery, as well as medicine, without a license.

So, for example, in my state only Nurse Midwives are licensed and they're legally able to attend home births so any other midwife attending a birth wouldn't be licensed and that's a misdemeanor here. In the next state over practicing midwifery without a license is a felony and they license non-nurse midwives for birth center and home births. 

Now, if a midwife in my state was doing things like administering medication or suturing a tear, then she would be getting into practicing medicine without a license territory and that would be a felony. 

If Teresa is not passing herself off as a midwife, then I don't think there's much that can be done. Jessa can invite anyone she wants to her birth. As long as she's there as a friend, then she's safe. (JMO)

I believe that as long as Teresa does not actually 'catch' the baby, does not suture, or administer any medications, she is not considered as practicing midwifery.  I could be wrong though.  She's supposedly there just as a 'doula', which is just a labor coach.

6 hours ago, Elvis Presby said:

At the Aquarium in Chattanooga you can pet Sturgeons.  You can pet sharks too.  The Shark petting was more recent than the Sturgeon petting.  Now I sound like a molester of fish.  

One time I was there and this kid who worked there tried very persistently to get me to pet the sturgeons. I wasn't feeling it and he was like "why not? are you scared it will feel gross? stroke this piece of plastic that's textured like a sturgeon, you'll see there's nothing to be afraid of" like... damn, what sort of hideous affair are you having with a sturgeon that makes you so passionate about touching them...?

5 hours ago, Valerie3kids said:

What is sad is that Jessa and Ben probably do not know what a sturgeon is.....

Whoa, this is the first time I've even thought of this. Good point! 

9 hours ago, Elvis Presby said:

I imagine sometime Ben and Jessa can take their little Fishee to pet his cousin the Sturgeon.

I once dated someone who's last name was Sturgeon. He was a horrible person. What kind of 18 year old serially dates 14 year olds? That guy, apparently.

19 hours ago, Valerie3kids said:

What is sad is that Jessa and Ben probably do not know what a sturgeon is.....

Eh, it's a pretty common food to eat... 

I would be terribly surprised if they didn't know before the name was released but they definitely know now. 

22 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

If Teresa is not passing herself off as a midwife, then I don't think there's much that can be done. Jessa can invite anyone she wants to her birth. As long as she's there as a friend, then she's safe. (JMO)

If she's performing midwifery duties then she could be prosecuted (in my state) for doing that without a license. It doesn't matter what she calls herself, it matters what she does or doesn't do. 

21 hours ago, slp said:

I believe that as long as Teresa does not actually 'catch' the baby, does not suture, or administer any medications, she is not considered as practicing midwifery.  I could be wrong though.  She's supposedly there just as a 'doula', which is just a labor coach.

Yep. This. As long as she didn't do anything clinical then there's nothing anyone can do to her for just being there.

And really unless the family complains, and they aren't going to, nobody's going to do anything. Most legal issues for midwives begin with a client complaint OR with an inquiry into a baby's death. Neither of those happened here (and thank goodness the latter didn't!). 

Yes, GiggleOfGirls, exactly. It would be illegal if she charged them anything, but again-- who is going to complain?  I suppose if she was caught practicing medicine without a license the courts might bar her from attending any births but as you say that would probably take a death before the law intervenes.

Archived