IGNORED

2016 Resolvers: Fitness Support

FundieFarmer

6 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

If you are 5'2 and at a healthy BMI, your BMR will be around 1200 calories. That's not "very very petite" -- that's a healthy weight at a short height. Also, way the fuck to be insulting to those of us who are short.

1200 calories is fine. Stop spreading lies and contributing to the obesity crisis. 

Sorry Maggie Mae - I really didn't mean to insult the short.  I struggle with exactly how to say I am "no longer thin".  Both in my head and in terms of trying to discuss the whole weight issue in general.  

ETA  - I agree 1,200 calories is fine for some individuals.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Whoosh said:

Sorry Maggie Mae - I really didn't mean to insult the short.  I struggle with exactly how to say I am "no longer thin".  Both in my head and in terms of trying to discuss the whole weight issue in general.  

Weight is really tricky to talk about. 

I think blanket statements like "I can not support 1200 calories a day" are very wrong. Someone who is 5'1 and on the lower side of a healthy BMI might need less than 1200 calories a day to maintain their weight. That would be someone who fits into "petite" clothes, but I hesitate to use the blanket statement "petite." I struggled for a very long time with people not taking me seriously as a person due to my shorter stature. One of the few things that actually works is age and gaining weight. Unfortunately, I do not enjoy a sedentary unhealthy lifestyle. So I had to lose weight. 

One person's "I can't survive on that" could be someone else's overeating. So maybe we should all just calculate our own BMRs and TDEE, and stick to those and not advise each other on what is and isn't healthy. 

2 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Weight is really tricky to talk about. 

I think blanket statements like "I can not support 1200 calories a day" are very wrong. Someone who is 5'1 and on the lower side of a healthy BMI might need less than 1200 calories a day to maintain their weight. That would be someone who fits into "petite" clothes, but I hesitate to use the blanket statement "petite." I struggled for a very long time with people not taking me seriously as a person due to my shorter stature. One of the few things that actually works is age and gaining weight. Unfortunately, I do not enjoy a sedentary unhealthy lifestyle. So I had to lose weight. 

One person's "I can't survive on that" could be someone else's overeating. So maybe we should all just calculate our own BMRs and TDEE, and stick to those and not advise each other on what is and isn't healthy. 

Totally agree and that last paragraph is actually what I was trying to say.  I do think it is very individual and for ME over the past few years my own personal "I can't survive on that" has become my own personal overeating.  I think it is really important to listen to our bodies and/or someone who knows what is going on with our own individual body.

I appreciate all the comments, even the conflicting info, because it's helping me to understand where there are points of contention in this process.

And just to make sure no one thinks I'm bordering on starvation mode, let me emphasize that it's not normal for me to eat so few calories -- and I am not being extreme in any way in my eating.  I've been 165ish for months and months, and a few months ago I dropped to 161 and have now been there for a few months.  So for the most part I'm eating about however many calories I'm burning.  Other than my hopefully working my way toward better fitness, anything that looks dramatic in my results is more about me learning to navigate the fitbit program than it is about any extreme behavior.

I'm not sure what people's definition of "starvation mode" is, but I will say that I've spent literally half of my life learning about nutrition and metabolism from professionals. There is definitely a point at which you can eat too little for your body, and your metabolism will slow down as a result (well as many other things, depending on different factors). But there's no one calorie range for everyone - it varies from person to person. I can probably provide some links, later, if you're interested.

Also, way to go, everyone! :happy-cheerleadersmileyguy: 

ETA -  I'm not talking about anyone's specific calorie intake because that's just none of my fucking business :) 

If there's one thing I've learned from my weight loss program, it's that these conversations should be had with physicians. Nobody on the Internet can say what the right caloric intake is for you, no matter what their training. Anybody with a question should talk to a doctor.

Fitness goals: Be in as good of shape as I was last spring. However, I was in such good shape last spring because I was super depressed and so had no focus and could only pass time reasonably well by working out. So this is a double edged sword...

I would like to 

1. Pass Beta level in figure skating and become a Gamma (I can spin well, I just need to get skating backwards down)

2. Have strong and toned legs and butt like I did last year and feel really comfortable in my skin. 

3. Just generally make good decisions this winter and not throw in the towel and spend nights watching YouTube videos shoveling Soba pasta into my mouth. Eat enough vegetables and fruit.

2 hours ago, halcionne said:

I agree that finding your BMR and TDEE are crucial, and your calorie goal should be somewhere between the two. Here's an easy calculator, but using one that takes military body fat percentage into consideration would be more accurate: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Thanks for that link.  Just so I understand, am I correct in assuming that TDEE is the amount of calories you need to maintain your weight while doing your normal level of activity, while BMR is what just compensates for what the body burns just existing, if one was bedridden and did not exert beyond just laying there.  Is that right?

If so, then I agree that somewhere in between those is the right level for someone who wants to lose weight.

2 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

Thanks for that link.  Just so I understand, am I correct in assuming that TDEE is the amount of calories you need to maintain your weight while doing your normal level of activity, while BMR is what just compensates for what the body burns just existing, if one was bedridden and did not exert beyond just laying there.  Is that right?

If so, then I agree that somewhere in between those is the right level for someone who wants to lose weight.

That's my understanding as well. Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor or dietician and I'm not making any recommendations, I guess? I'm >200 pounds and thinking about eating less than 1200 calories makes me want to cry, but that's just me. :D

How I flipped this week: finally got a personal blender that works, yay! Protein shakes ahoy over here. Plus I walked one day after I was sick just to get up and moving which was a huge plus!

How I flopped: pretty much everything else but I'm alive and don't have a migraine/aneurysm so I'll take it. I ate what I could keep down and called it a day. I miss my workouts though so I'm eager to get rested enough to get back to them.

When I did WW, my points for the day would total around 1100 calories. People who have gastric bypass aim for 1000/day. All those weight loss clinics are low calorie. And Jillian Michaels says 1200 is ok ;)

Anyhow, I got a head start and started the first of December! I have lost 19 lbs doing Atkins. I'm all about low carb/high protein and fat. I've started limiting my calories to Less than or equal to 1200 and I walk on the treadmill one hour a day. I'm highly motivated! There's a specific guy I want to have sex with. Yeah you heard me! 

I'm @notaloserlikeyou on MFP. I need a Fitbit.

I have lost and gained a ton of weight and last year I was at my highest. I want to lose 50 more lbs and I want it done quickly. I'm willing to suffer. Actually I feel pretty good. It's nice to be off sugar which is my drug of choice. And my hypochondria is better since I'm worrying less about things like diabetes and high blood pressure.

tomorrow I'm walking around Disneyland with my daughter for her birthday so that'll be my exercise. I can't cheat because I'm a binger. I think I got into this mess by allowing myself Halloween candy three years ago. It's been a record binge.

I do enjoy emotional support so this is great. I love to follow wlstories on Instagram, which posts success stories, and other fitness people.

Good luck and thanks for having me.

I honestly believe that losing weight is 80% food choice and 20% activity. Switching to a low carb, high protein diet makes all the difference in the world in my body. Oh, and portions. The best thing I got out of Weight Watchers was a realistic view of what a portion really is. When I'm losing, it's because I'm measuring my portions and not cheating by eyeballing the portions.

1 hour ago, keen23 said:

I honestly believe that losing weight is 80% food choice and 20% activity. Switching to a low carb, high protein diet makes all the difference in the world in my body. Oh, and portions. The best thing I got out of Weight Watchers was a realistic view of what a portion really is. When I'm losing, it's because I'm measuring my portions and not cheating by eyeballing the portions.

If one's goal is to lose weight, then eating less is absolutely the most effective way to do that. If the goal is to become physically fit, then exercise is a crucial part of that as well. 

(I dropped 3 pants sizes in 2015)

What worked for me--

If I want junk food, I have to make it from scratch.
Investing in a Vitamix (even bringing the thing on the road with me).  I have at least one green smoothie a day (make ahead and freeze in mason jars when I'm on the road)
Drinking way too much coffee (appetite suppressant)
Fitbit 
I don't track calories, portions, or anything like that.  I just eat when I'm hungry.
Intermittent fasting 5 days a week.  Between the hours of 7 PM and 9 AM I can't have anything but water.  
Aside from coffee, I don't drink anything but water (and typically a lot--- I have an app called Plant Nanny that reminds me).  No soda, juice, etc.  If I do have something alcoholic, it's a social occasion.
My other rule of thumb about eating is that I won't eat things that were developed in a chemistry lab.  
I'm (mostly) vegetarian.  I'll eat meat occasionally at someone else's house or when out, but I VERY rarely buy it/prepare it at home (Flexitarian is the term being used).

A typical day's food intake is coffee, green smoothie, cottage cheese (my main protein source), veggie/rice dish, cheddar cheese slice (not usually one for single serving things, but Cabot makes slices preportioned and it helps a lot as I could eat a block of cheese in 1 sitting), and roasted root vegetable (beets/turnips).  

My typical green smoothies vary by season and I hardly use recipes (and buy most of the ingredients frozen) but always includes spinach, kale, and mint (from the garden/dried in the offseason) for about 60%.  Today I included grapefruit, pear, and mango.  (NEVER banana).  The only liquid I use is the natural fruit juices (ie from the grapefruit) and water.  No specail juices, nut milks, protein liquid, etc.  

A high protein low carb diet would mean the death of me.  I've struggled to eat protein since I was a kid (I was nagged about eating my protein instead of my veggies).  When I don't have carbs, I feel lightheaded/dizzy and see stars, so I literally NEED the carbs (that's my body's way to telling me that).

Yeah, my week day meals are pretty structured.

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 tbsp shredded colby jack cheese, 2 tbsp salsa

Snack: fruit- apple, banana, dried cranberries. 100 calorie pack of nuts

Lunch: Turkey sandwich- deli turkey on a "sandwich thin" with a single slice of cheese and mustard

Snack: carrots, celery and peanut butter or hummus

Dinner: grilled chicken, vegetables, some type of complex carb- barley, couscous, brown rice, quinoa. Brussels Sprouts are a revelation. Never broccoli though, because broccoli is gross.

Protein Shake (chocolate flavor, generally) made with water and frozen fruits after my workout. @19 cats and counting NEVER BANANA too. If I time it right, I can get my husband to make the shakes, and he makes awesome ones like strawberry cheesecake flavored (it involves sugar free pudding mix and a variety of other things) or pumpkin pie flavored.

I've got my first 20 mile run tomorrow in preparation for my "marathon" (marathon-distance training run, really).  Eek!  I'm nervous... hoping to run in an 8:15-8:30 pace.

This week was pretty good...I made it to the gym 4 times, and I realized that I do well with external motivation. Thanks @Destiny for including me in the Fitbit challenge, it really helped keep me aware of doing things like taking the stairs to my 4th floor office. I also realized that while I get much closer to my step goal on weekends when I'm chasing my kid around and outside more, I really need 40-45 minutes of cardio at the gym to make up for my desk job.

i also need to figure out food. I am tracking food, but I have limited time and I need to cook mostly from scratch since most lower calorie processed foods I can't eat. I need to spend some Pinterest time this weekend figuring out some good make ahead grab and go type stuff for breakfast and lunch

10 minutes ago, meda said:

This week was pretty good...I made it to the gym 4 times, and I realized that I do well with external motivation. Thanks @Destiny for including me in the Fitbit challenge, it really helped keep me aware of doing things like taking the stairs to my 4th floor office. I also realized that while I get much closer to my step goal on weekends when I'm chasing my kid around and outside more, I really need 40-45 minutes of cardio at the gym to make up for my desk job.

i also need to figure out food. I am tracking food, but I have limited time and I need to cook mostly from scratch since most lower calorie processed foods I can't eat. I need to spend some Pinterest time this weekend figuring out some good make ahead grab and go type stuff for breakfast and lunch

Re "i also need to figure out food" -- I think that is the story of my life. Amen. 

Mister Destiny and I started the low carb shenanigans yesterday, so I feel like utter shit, and I felt meh at best asthma wise on tues and wed, so my steps this week have not been awesome. We did run by the gym this afternoon to get our accounts turned back on, and are hoping to make it this weekend.

On the victory note: mister destiny has lost 6 lbs this week, so the low carb torture is worth it so far. I'm very proud.

5 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Mister Destiny and I started the low carb shenanigans yesterday, so I feel like utter shit, and I felt meh at best asthma wise on tues and wed, so my steps this week have not been awesome. We did run by the gym this afternoon to get our accounts turned back on, and are hoping to make it this weekend.

On the victory note: mister destiny has lost 6 lbs this week, so the low carb torture is worth it so far. I'm very proud.

Speaking of the low carb thing... could you try to make dinners where there's something you can add as a higher carb option?  Like, say you make stir fry.  You can throw some rice in the rice cooker and have rice with yours but give him more meat with his.  Or you could do roasted chicken and veggies, but you could roast a potato too.  Your husband gets a big ol' helping of meat and veggies while you get a little chicken, a lot of veggies, and the potato.  Or eggs for breakfast, with toast for you?

I dunno... it kind of depends on how much your husband craves carbs.  If it's torture for him to see someone else enjoying a potato when he can't, it might not work, but if he's kind of "meh" about that kind of carbs, then it may work out just fine.

Just now, Firiel said:

Speaking of the low carb thing... could you try to make dinners where there's something you can add as a higher carb option?  Like, say you make stir fry.  You can throw some rice in the rice cooker and have rice with yours but give him more meat with his.  Or you could do roasted chicken and veggies, but you could roast a potato too.  Your husband gets a big ol' helping of meat and veggies while you get a little chicken, a lot of veggies, and the potato.  Or eggs for breakfast, with toast for you?

I dunno... it kind of depends on how much your husband craves carbs.  If it's torture for him to see someone else enjoying a potato when he can't, it might not work, but if he's kind of "meh" about that kind of carbs, then it may work out just fine.

It would be torture for him, and this is the first time in the nearly 20 years we have been together that he's actually serious about losing weight, so I'm playing along and being supportive. I could stand to lose another 20 lbs myself (I'm at the very top of healthy weight for my height, plus some weight I gained while on vacation. I ate everything and drank most of it, and am not even sorry.), so it's a good thing. I just really really don't like having to restrict carbs, but if it works for him, I will suck it up and just whine about it here and to my BFF.

I would kill all of you for a carrot though. What kind of monster tells you to eat cottage cheese with NO fruit or veggieburgers (which I love) with no carrots and tomatoes?

16 minutes ago, Destiny said:

It would be torture for him, and this is the first time in the nearly 20 years we have been together that he's actually serious about losing weight, so I'm playing along and being supportive. I could stand to lose another 20 lbs myself (I'm at the very top of healthy weight for my height, plus some weight I gained while on vacation. I ate everything and drank most of it, and am not even sorry.), so it's a good thing. I just really really don't like having to restrict carbs, but if it works for him, I will suck it up and just whine about it here and to my BFF.

I would kill all of you for a carrot though. What kind of monster tells you to eat cottage cheese with NO fruit or veggieburgers (which I love) with no carrots and tomatoes?

OMG. Any diet that forbids eating carrots and tomatoes is not a diet I can follow.

Meanwhile, I am having to remind myself as I travel that just because the nutrition labels are in another language does NOT mean the calories don't count.

Just now, withaj said:

OMG. Any diet that forbids eating carrots and tomatoes is not a diet I can follow.

Meanwhile, I am having to remind myself as I travel that just because the nutrition labels are in another language does NOT mean the calories don't count.

Low carb has really shitty rules for starting. Eventually, fruits and veggies will be part of my world again and I will bitch a lot less.

Trying to read labels in another language is horrible.

The first few days to weeks on low carb can be awful for so many. I've read reports of flu-like symptoms and just overall yuck feeling. 

It'll be better eventually. 

• FundieFarmer locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived