IGNORED

2016 Resolvers: Fitness Support

FundieFarmer

3 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Swimming makes me HUNGRY. 

I still don't know how I am going to afford this. Please, Jill R, teach me your grifting skills. ;)

Yeah, swimming is hell on the appetite. Jill R would suggest showing up at church potlucks and "blessing" them with your "music" as a way to supplement the food budget. :Bazinga:

Anyway, after feeling sorry for myself yesterday I put some actual thought into why I'm having such a hard time getting a workout in. Then I went downstairs and put a workout in! I did weighted squats for the first time in months. It felt good!

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was having some health issues last year and on advice of my physician to lose 10 lbs, I have lost 25- Unofrtunatelu, my health problems persist. I have always been very active and for the last year have logged at minimum, 10,000 steps a day, every.single.day. This past month I started on some cardiac meds (I am late 50s)...I hope they help.

I eat really healthy.

No caffeine, sugar, processed foods and few carbs beyond the fruit/veggie type. Also, little vino-

It sucks to get older.

If I lose any more weight, I'll practically be at my birth weight.

I had to skip my workout last night (Zumba class) to possibly deal with lice on my daughters head! she got home and I found none....stupid daycare.

3 hours ago, karen77 said:

I had to skip my workout last night (Zumba class) to possibly deal with lice on my daughters head! she got home and I found none....stupid daycare.

Sucks to muss your class, but that's one mistake I'd be happy about! 

On 2/9/2016 at 11:39 AM, Crocoduck said:

Yeah, swimming is hell on the appetite. Jill R would suggest showing up at church potlucks and "blessing" them with your "music" as a way to supplement the food budget. :Bazinga:

Oh, it's not food I can't afford. It's my swim classes. It is so much fun and I'm getting so much better but it all costs money. I know it doesn't HAVE to cost money but it's way more fun than swimming alone with my own workouts in the gym pool. 

And my upcoming travel to actually "compete" in this event. 

And all of my normal expenses, like skin care products for my extra dry skin, and possibly tanning so I don't ruin the trip when I get pelted by the sun for the first time in months, and work clothes (seriously, women have it so hard in this area), and hair cuts (again, I wish I could go get a $12 great clips cut, but my job has this idea about being in the public) and so on and so forth. And my car. And my credit card company is being stupid and closed my account because of their error (they didn't update their records, despite the fact that I repeatedly changed my account. they kept trying to draw out of a closed bank account and now they are saying it's my fault I didn't update. I updated. Three times I changed the direct draw to the new account.) 

On 1/30/2016 at 7:20 AM, Firiel said:

Snow here, so I need to reassess my 20 miler scheduled for today.  It's not worth running in slippery slush and getting hurt, so I think I'm going to take it inside.  We've got a great indoor track here, but it's closed until the evening for a track meet today.  So I'm probably going to spend my Saturday evening running 20 miles. :D  It's okay, though.  The StreetFighter V beta is up this weekend, so the boyfriend has plans  this weekend. :)

Oh, also, @nausicaa25, I watched (what I'm assuming is) your namesake movie last night for the first time.  Very good!  

I meant to suggest to you the studded shoes for slippery days. Also, jesus, 20 miles. There's a reason I stick to 1/2 marathons and shorter distances. 

My apetite has been through the roof for the last couple of weeks, and I've been eating accordingly. I think I've gained four pounds. But I'm rowing a bit, getting a feel for the movements and learning how to work the control panel. This rower has a monitor that tells you if you're going faster or slower than your goal, which is helping me be consistent.

I'm pretty the knee pain I've been having is from my IT band. :(  I have no idea how to deal with a chronic thing like that!  I'm finding myself very anxious about it!

Yesterday I had my personal best day in both steps and distance since getting the fitbit in late September -- 12,784 steps and 5.45 miles (which is an estimate since I haven't given it my exact stride, so it's estimating my stride based on my height/gender).  Anyway, yay me!  And it wasn't a horribly strenuous day, just active and then I walked to do some errands after an already pretty active day, and that put me over the top.

Aaaaand, today, while just normal in terms of exercise, did see me crossing the 1,000,000 step boundary!  (again, since late September -- totally meaningless in the big picture, but fun to note!) :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl:

On the down side, my elbows have been bothering me more and more for a few months now.  It feels like tendonitis (which I had once about 10 years ago and it took forEVER to go away).  When I poke around in there, I find some really tender spots -- will have to ask my chiropractor if there is anything she can do or recommends.

39 minutes ago, Firiel said:

I'm pretty the knee pain I've been having is from my IT band. :(  I have no idea how to deal with a chronic thing like that!  I'm finding myself very anxious about it!

IT band stretches, foam rolling, chiropractic care, and Rock Tape.  

10 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

IT band stretches, foam rolling, chiropractic care, and Rock Tape.  

Yeah, the foam roller stretch for your IT band will hurt like nothing else, but it is really helpful for chronic IT band pain. 

@Firiel Do you do much Pilates or yoga? A regular stretching routine will help with that a lot. 

Just now, nausicaa said:

Yeah, the foam roller stretch for your IT band will hurt like nothing else, but it is really helpful for chronic IT band pain. 

@Firiel Do you do much Pilates or yoga? A regular stretching routine will help with that a lot. 

I don't.  I'm going to start a hip/glute strengthening routine... I think that's the standard best practice at this point in time.  But it won't help me much before my intended marathon next week.  That's really what I'm worried about.  If I didn't have that, I'd be confident in my ability to work on my strength and get rid of the pain.

It's really super sucky.  I'm not good at dealing with this kind of thing! :(

It seems like my bad GI issues are coming back, and that is extremely frustrating. This how my exercise routine has been derailed in the past, because dealing with constant pain & dehydration does not play well with vigorous exercise. I did get to the gym twice last week, and I am going to start my Whole 30 early. That level of food restriction has helped in the past. It's just frustrating and tiring to always be in low to mid level pain. It really saps my energy.

I usually work out 6 days a week, although it's habit, not a resolution. But today wife and I bought Fitbits! They were under $80 at Best Buy today and it makes steps like a game...because I want those blips, dammit! It also shows calories burned which helps me make food decisions. I don't precisely track food calories due to a past eating disorder (not precisely anorexia because I started out overweight and never stopped my period, though it shortened by 2-3 days, but I was still on 600-1000 cal a day with hourlong workouts, so). But it's good to know how to conform my habits based on my exercise and other food that day. Yes, I need meals but I don't need all those Skittles!

Does anyone else have Fitbit and want to compete? I generally work out but don't walk a lot, and need motivation. You can PM me for my email to look me up.

WE HAVE A FITBIT COMPETITION WOOOOOO YOU SHOULD JOIN US

Can you tell I'm all about the Fitbit [emoji23][emoji23]

I lost 2.5 pounds! Then I ate a bunch of MacGyver'd fairy bread. Any Aussies or Dutch people on my fitness pal? How do I log fairy bread?

2 minutes ago, halcionne said:

I lost 2.5 pounds! Then I ate a bunch of MacGyver'd fairy bread. Any Aussies or Dutch people on my fitness pal? How do I log fairy bread?

It's in the search. 

But probably best if you import your recipe. Seems like the amount of butter you use will make a big difference. 

3 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

It's in the search. 

But probably best if you import your recipe. Seems like the amount of butter you use will make a big difference. 

Yeah I normally log the components of a dish, rather than creating a recipe. I just didn't have enough sense to measure the sprinkles. So many sprinkles.

Just now, halcionne said:

Yeah I normally log the components of a dish, rather than creating a recipe. I just didn't have enough sense to measure the sprinkles. So many sprinkles.

I started using the recipe function when I realized I make the same things all the time. Plus I like being able to have it do the math of division for me. 

I started using the recipe function when I realized I make the same things all the time. Plus I like being able to have it do the math of division for me. 

Sounds like this is one of those place where MFP outshines fitbit -- fitbit will let me "create a meal" but then doesn't have a way to divide it up into however many portions -- urgh!  I'm inventing workarounds as I go, but still suspect I may end up on MFP fairly soon...

40 minutes ago, halcionne said:

Is there an option to log in the amount 100s and 1000s? 

Sorry, couldn't resist.

34 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I use the meal function like that. It makes it easier to tweak the recipes. If you look at my diary you'll see that I've been eating marshmallows/chocolate chips/butter/sweetened condensed milk, and that's actually fudge. 

3 minutes ago, halcionne said:

I use the meal function like that. It makes it easier to tweak the recipes. If you look at my diary you'll see that I've been eating marshmallows/chocolate chips/butter/sweetened condensed milk, and that's actually fudge. 

And now I want Hawaiian food. Thanks. 

And now I want Hawaiian food. Thanks. 

You just reminded me I need to take a closer look at that. I'm pretty fanatical about logging accurately, and I don't think I got everything right on that one.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived