IGNORED

Armed Protesters take over Oregon Federal Wildlife Refuge

violynn

I'm surprised the sheriff isn't a bit more vocal. Because I'm pretty sure if this were a group made up of other ethnicities--or for other causes (e.g. environmentalism), the outrage would be more apparent and the tactics to disperse them considerably more heavy-handed.

These asshats have apparently disrupted the community. I was watching a blurb on the news last night, and community members want them out. They don't want a group of rogue armed men camping out in their community, and they've already had to shut down the schools. Where is the outrage about that--that kids have had to miss a week of school because of these wing nuts?

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:SURLEQ:I'm too afraid to click that link. Maybe tomorrow I'll be braver. Or maybe not. 

Don't be afraid to watch Seth Meyers take "A Closer Look" and slay the whole militia thing, especially the "What's under the blue tarp?" part at the end.  I was laughing so hard I could hardly stay in my chair. 

youtube.com/watch?v=S3vPttCwCZw

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?, it's just naughty tweets involving 1st & 2nd Amendment rights, grazing rights, Cheerios, guns, Carharts and whatnot. Really.

No pics. 

This made my day

http://mashable.com/2016/01/07/bundyeroticfanfic-hashtag-tweets/#caVQ9.MT2EqM

Steamy #BundyEroticFanFic imagines what happens in militias after dark

my fiance and i were laughing our asses off at that last night. some truly priceless comedy at 140 characters or less.

The 'Occupy' guys got an offer for a free ride to the  state line yesterday but declined because the feds won't turn over the land to loggers, ranchers and miners or whomever, because....well, just because.  Maybe they want to stay snuggled up together for awhile longer, until they actually DO start looking pretty good to each other.  

If someone showed them the BundyEroticFanFic twitters, they'd probably skedaddle pret darn quick, 'cause they don't want anyone to think they're gay, plus they wouldn't ever be able to look each other in the eye again. 

If I was one of those guys, I'd go in to town on a pizza run and not stop 'til I got back home, because the likelihood of going to federal prison just keeps on growing the longer they are there and they just keep backing themselves into a corner.  I also wonder who the heck is supporting their families whilst they are freezing their asses off on Occupy duty.  

I keep thinking about that U.S. Army physician (Terry Larkin) with (I think) 8 kids who was an anti-Obama birther and didn't deploy with his unit because he didn't recognize Obama as a legitimate commander-in-chief and he thought everybody would understand and be on his side, including judge and jury.  His plan was to go to court and force Obama to come up with a birth certificate.   The judge disallowed that as a factor in the trial. As you likely can guess, it didn't end well for Larkin.  A brilliant career in the military,  six figure annual military pay, great benefits, health insurance for wife and kids and a very, very good retirement went right out the window.  Court martial, 6 months in military prison, dishonorable discharge and  he was subsequently denied a medical license in Kansas because of dereliction of duty.  Obama, a natural born citizen, is still president. 

My point is that these people are oblivious to the repercussions from their idiotic beliefs.   These guys have been offered a face-saving way out, seemingly without legal consequences, and they won't take it.  

There is a certain amount of ridiculous in this. (Just because you're armed and dangerous doesn't mean you're not also looney and stupid.)

http://mashable.com/2016/01/04/oregon-militia-yall-qaeda/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link#Vqc3h0BIDEqL

If your master plan is to overthrow the world's most powerful government and you attack a remote bird sanctuary you might be #YallQaeda

Every successful revolution starts with takeover of closed visitor center with gift shop. #OregonUnderAttack #YallQaeda

21 hours ago, browncoatslytherin said:

my fiance and i were laughing our asses off at that last night. some truly priceless comedy at 140 characters or less.

I find these to be very entertaining! 

It's a just-so story, apparently.  The time isn't just quite right yet for them to leave. The occupiers also don't realize that the 24-hour news cycle loses interest pretty quick when there's nothing dramatic going on and everybody is freezing (current temperature is -8) and there is snow forecast for today. 

It would be great if locals would show up and start picketing for them to go home.  

On the other hand, Malheur sounds like an awesome place to visit for bird watching and now many, many more people will know about it and want to go there. I'm liking the Al Jazeera America coverage the best, because they are adding in some history and the significance of the refuge as a major element of the Pacific flyway and not just reiterating every other tid bit about the occupation. 

The armed occupation of a wildlife refuge in southeastern Oregon has interrupted important habitat restoration work that must be completed before spring migration — when hundreds of thousands of birds descend on the area’s vast wetlands

america.aljazeera.com/articles/2016/1/8/local-stakeholders-react-to-malheur-occupation.html

White militants continue to occupy the Malheur Wildlife Refuge...

“The end goal here is that we are here to restore the rights to the people here so that they can use the land and resources,” Ryan Bundy, a spokesperson for the militants, told Fox News on Monday.

The media coverage of the standoff between the militants and government authorities has thus far focused on the occupation, but a closer look at the incident reveals the complicated historical legacies of westward expansion and the seizure of Native American land by white settlers.

america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2016/1/oregon-standoff-mirrors-westward-expansion.html

Now it looks like things are getting interesting in the shallow end of the gene pool;

dailykos.com/story/2016/01/08/1467361/-After-accusations-of-stolen-valor-a-rival-group-and-a-broken-nose-the-Y-all-Qaeda-civil-war-begins

Jeff “Dawg” Kagan arrived at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon on Thursday with Lewis Arthur, the leader of a group called Veterans on Patrol. Lewis describes himself as an "anti-violence patriot" who was there to talk Ammon Bundy into forcing any women or children out of the refuge during the standoff. Lewis and J Dawg set up a tent across from the refuge building. Lewis says he was also there to warn Bundy and the other Y’All Qaeda members that one of their own, Ryan Payne, was dangerous and should leave immediately.

And now all hell is breaking loose amongst the patriots, most seem to be turning on the crew holed up at the wildlife refuge. John Hildinger, another well-known patriot in militia circles (who is alleged to be under the watchful eye of the Secret Service and U.S. Marshall) took to social media with a scathing video that includes accusations of stolen valor and harsh words for the men in Oregon.

Oh, snap! And that isn’t the only patriot-on-patriot drama coming out of Oregon. Yesterday, accusations were flying that Joe “Captain O” Oshaugnessy had abandoned the refuge and used donation money for a drinking binge at a nearby hotel. Joe took to his page to defend himself, calling it a smear campaign because he disagreed with their actions. That prompted the Arizona State Militia to put out a statement saying he'd done the same thing in Arizona.

The plot thickens! But, wait—there’s more. Saad Kooza Salman, aka “the American Infidel,” took to his Facebook page with a video (from his cozy home in Louisiana) to his 53,000 followers that blasted anyone sitting “in their cozy homes” criticizing his brothers in Oregon.

@47of74, I bow down to this awesome, AWESOME find!  ELEVENTY!!!!!

ETA, It seems that Y'allQaida folks are just now figuring out that the whole militia/patriot thing attracts mentally unstable people. 

Sorry, That should be "Y'all Qaeda". 

Another group, Idaho Three Percenters, has arrived.  Sounds like there is obligatory butt sniffing and tail wagging each time there are new arrivals. 

koin.com/2016/01/09/occupation-of-malheur-refuge-enters-8th-day/

LaVoy Finicum says everyone needs to put the long guns away, presumably because running around with rifles makes them seem threatening, or because the possibility of opening fire on each other now seems more likely. 

3 hours ago, Howl said:

@47of74, I bow down to this awesome, AWESOME find!  ELEVENTY!!!!!

ETA, It seems that Y'allQaida folks are just now figuring out that the whole militia/patriot thing attracts mentally unstable people. 

LOL.  Thanks!

16 hours ago, Howl said:

Sorry, That should be "Y'all Qaeda". 

Another group, Idaho Three Percenters, has arrived.  Sounds like there is obligatory butt sniffing and tail wagging each time there are new arrivals. 

koin.com/2016/01/09/occupation-of-malheur-refuge-enters-8th-day/

LaVoy Finicum says everyone needs to put the long guns away, presumably because running around with rifles makes them seem threatening, or because the possibility of opening fire on each other now seems more likely. 

:D sorry I know it's not funny but I just find this so hilarious... "Hey this could get dangerous, what are those gun waving maniacs doing here... "
wasn't Lavoy the guy under the tarp with a long gun...

On 1/8/2016 at 8:43 PM, EyeQueue said:

I'm surprised the sheriff isn't a bit more vocal. Because I'm pretty sure if this were a group made up of other ethnicities--or for other causes (e.g. environmentalism), the outrage would be more apparent and the tactics to disperse them considerably more heavy-handed.

These asshats have apparently disrupted the community. I was watching a blurb on the news last night, and community members want them out. They don't want a group of rogue armed men camping out in their community, and they've already had to shut down the schools. Where is the outrage about that--that kids have had to miss a week of school because of these wing nuts?

I agree, the response to Black Lives Matters protests are more intense, without 99% of protesters having any kind of weapon. 

I feel bad for the community, I know the government doesn't want another RUby Ridge or anything, but it's not safe. 

10 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

wasn't Lavoy the guy under the tarp with a long gun...

No, that was a much younger guy.  LaVoy is a 50-ish guy with 11 kids. 

This Website has bios for most of the occupiers, including Mel Bundy, who hasn't been mentioned by name prior to this (that I know of ):

oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/01/oregon_militant_profiles_list.html

Ammon Bundy's mother is now asking for donations of supplies to be sent, coffee (bad Mormons!), food, and blankets. I'm going to be terribly disappointed in whatever agency is handling this if they allow people to take more supplies to these jabronies. You aren't a very good militia of you didn't consider Utah might be cold in January and pack accordingly 

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived