IGNORED

Creation SuperCamp SuperSnark Recap

CyborgKin

As I've mentioned a couple of times, there's a creationism conference happening in Australia which begins tomorrow (Monday) and runs until Friday.

Schedule of talks: http://creation.com/conferences/creation2016/schedule.php

List of speakers: http://creation.com/conferences/creation2016/speakers.php

I purpose plan to take notes and share them in this thread for your edification amusement personal choice of reasons. Hopefully my tablet is up to the task. Let me know if there are any sessions which particularly interest you. In the mean time, here's a behind the scenes sneak peek:

(insert Mission Impossible music here) 

Spoiler

20160103_145404.jpg.d26257678922c17703ba

Screenshot of schedule for convenience:

Spoiler

Screenshot_2016-01-03-17-14-45.thumb.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many interesting topics! I'm curious about all of them, but maybe especially the "Dance of the Planets". I also love that you get two tea breaks. That sounds so much nicer than coffee breaks. (As for me, make mine tea!)

The 'tea' thing is Australian vernacular, and applies whether people have tea,  coffee,  or neither. I expect cake and fruit will be available too

I'm most interested in the biology and astrophysics bits. And the 'New Atheists' one. 

I supposed "tea break" was just a culturally different way of saying a break, but I just like it. No one here (where I live) takes tea seriously enough, in my opinion. I've given up ordering hot tea in most restaurants. The water is never boiling and I have a better selection of tea at home. (Sorry! That was a totally unnecessary digression.)

I'm always interested in astronomy, but the "Antibodies, Viruses, and Psychology" topic has me curious, too. The whole thing just sounds fascinating. I'm a Christian and my thinking on Creationism and Evolution has changed and then changed again over the years. I'd love to hear most of these lectures/discussions in person. Thank you for sharing your notes on this! 

1 minute ago, AmazonGrace said:

Wow those are long days.

The night owl sessions are entirely optional. Well everything is,  but they're extra optional. :P

@CyborgKin, are you actually going to attend?  I will be salivating awaiting your notes. Just the schedule itself is fascinating. I will be interested in anything and everything you share. I can't get over that there are grown adults who still don't 'believe' in evolution. And who don't understand the definition of 'theory' as it applies in science. 

Bring it on...can't wait!  And thank you.

The "Invasion of the Rice Kind" lecture sounds interesting (and kind of hilarious) at the same time. By the look of it, they are Young Earth Creationists, right?

I did note they even have activities for kids as young as kindy age: In a fun-filled environment they will learn about the big picture of the Gospel from Genesis to Revelation and will be equipped to withstand the onslaught of evolutionism and defend their faith. Yikes.

I am interested in the topic: antibodies, viruses and psychology - God's word above all.  Has sort of a scientology ring to it.

*shudders*

This kind of shit factors into why some asshats don't hold with anthropogenic climate change.  They also don't think it jibes with their view of the end of the world.

26 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

Will they serve sweet tea?

They will serve proper tea -hot, with sugar, and milk or lemon, optional.  The sugar will be optional, too, of course and would you like one lump or two?

I just remembered that I need to take out my Brown Betty teapot to brew tea for Downton Abbey tonight.  Should I have Irish breakfast in honor of Branson or Earl Grey?

Huh, interesting. I guess I have been living under a rock. I didn't realize that Creation Ministries International is a "split off" from Answers in Genesis. When I was growing up in Australia, we did the whole YEC course at our church a few times (it was used as an outreach ministry), which at the time, was still lead by Ken Ham. :D

36 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

They will serve proper tea -hot, with sugar, and milk or lemon, optional.  The sugar will be optional, too, of course and would you like one lump or two?

I just remembered that I need to take out my Brown Betty teapot to brew tea for Downton Abbey tonight.  Should I have Irish breakfast in honor of Branson or Earl Grey?

I just moved to the south. I think tea is required by law to be sweet. The dentists probably make a killer living.

4 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

I just moved to the south. I think tea is required by law to be sweet. The dentists probably make a killer living.

Sweet tea is definitely a southern (US) thing.  However, I like my iced tea unsweet and, no, Southern restaurants have no clue about how to make good hot tea, with the exception of Chinese restaurants.  I do hear that it is possible to get properly brewed tea in New England.

8 hours ago, Fascinated said:

@CyborgKin, are you actually going to attend?  I will be salivating awaiting your notes. Just the schedule itself is fascinating. I will be interested in anything and everything you share. I can't get over that there are grown adults who still don't 'believe' in evolution. And who don't understand the definition of 'theory' as it applies in science. 

Bring it on...can't wait!  And thank you.

They claim to know what a scientific theory is http://creation.com/refuting-evolution-2-chapter-3-argument-evolution-is-true-science-not-just-a-theory

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Sweet tea is definitely a southern (US) thing.  However, I like my iced tea unsweet and, no, Southern restaurants have no clue about how to make good hot tea, with the exception of Chinese restaurants.  I do hear that it is possible to get properly brewed tea in New England.

I assume the dining room will have hot tea but I haven't been there yet. Registration building has teabags. 

Spoiler

20160104_093156.jpg.470a1be4e076a486da2d

Also,  registration:

Spoiler

20160104_093821.jpg

Update: tea refilled,  there's now also English Breakfast,  and Green Tea & Lemon. 

And one less hot chocolate :D

I'm very excited for your reports, @CyborgKin.  And thanks for the link. It really is a shame we don't have on record a photo of the 'dinosaur turning into a bird'.  

7 hours ago, SledCat said:

I didn't realize that Creation Ministries International is a "split off" from Answers in Genesis.

I would like to know more about this.  Several years ago, a family member received very strange (and unsolicited) emails from an Answers in Genesis "scientist" while developing a thesis in geology.  The thesis included the claim that the earth was a mite older than 6000 years, and exception was taken by this Answers in Genesis organization. 

I will look forward to the reports and will try to dig into these groups to sort out what's what.  Interesting. 

13 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

I would like to know more about this.  Several years ago, a family member received very strange (and unsolicited) emails from an Answers in Genesis "scientist" while developing a thesis in geology.  The thesis included the claim that the earth was a mite older than 6000 years, and exception was taken by this Answers in Genesis organization. 

I will look forward to the reports and will try to dig into these groups to sort out what's what.  Interesting. 

Unrelated to the split,  this bunch said recently said "Accounting for all presently known relevant details and assuming the Babylonian Captivity began in 587 or 586 BC, we can say with confidence that the Bible places limits on the year of creation between 5665 and 3822 BC." http://creation.com/biblical-age-of-the-earth

Resources:

Spoiler

20160104_140939.thumb.jpg.c54aa4734a5c76

20160104_141110.thumb.jpg.2b04f780030c3d

20160104_141134.thumb.jpg.3f5e575f9dfce0

20160104_140953.jpg

Wow, I can imagine the auditorium will be bursting at the seams for all sessions this week (Not).

Am surprised it's not even in the city, although it's a nice spot on the coast, where everyone can view the 6,000 year old geology around them, I guess.

I am totally crushed I can't go this week, shattered.

Go you @CyborgKin, may The Force be with you. Stay strong.

An image escaped from the spoiler and editing is kinda broken :(

Introduction about to start. Music: Refresh My Heart Lord 

Session 1 Mark Harwood: IT'S ALL ABOUT JESUS - Creation and the Gospel

(Please escuse riffles and brevity, also I missed lots of details and long quotes)

Someone named James telling us some housekeeping things. Mentioned Rod Walsh who has ark model. Deluge joke - it's pouring rain right now. 
Dr Mark Harwood worked with satellites. 
Read Billy Graham book after post graduate work,  confronted him to take Genesis seriously. 

Who's exited? 
In for a treat,  fellowship,  grow in knowledge of the Lord.  It's all about Jesus. 
Do not be conformed to this world,  be transformed by the renewing of our minds Romans 12:2
See ourselves more and more as God sees us. 
What we mean by evolution: capital E Evolution,  explanation of everything by natural means, no supernatural,  inherently atheistic story. 
Grew up confused because he tried to have both,  couldn't answer questions,.
Barrier to coming to God.  Need to believe God exists Hebrews 11:6
Coming into a movie part way through: missed the beginning,  the rest doesn't make sense. 
Trained as engineer,  will use building blocks metaphor. 
First block is the creation. 
Bible is God's word,  doesn't just contain it. 
6 times declared the creation good,  then called it very good. 
John 1:3 Jesus is the agency of creation 
God created us in His image.  Similar not identify.  Some similar features.  Love creativity communication etc. 
Created them male and female.  Genesis 1:27 poetic structure in the Hebrew: burst into poetry for the creation of man and woman. 

Second block rebellion 
Relationship: ability to decide to be in that relationship.  Mentions his marriage.  Act of mutual choice and volition.  Need choice for love.  A computer programmed to say I love you,  does not love. 
The fallen world,  curse,  death entering the world.  No point in death being punishment if it was going to happen anyway. 
Romans 5: 12, Romans 6:23, and others. 
Through Adam all die 

Third block sacrifice
Jesus paid the price for our sin with his death. 
For all,  the only way
John 14:6
Not exclusive but inclusive: all can be saved 

Fourth block resurrection 
Conquered death,  raised from the dead,  every believer can look forward to resurrection at the last day 

Fifth block new birth
Transformation in every new believer 
Ephesians 2:8
Romans 5:1
1 corinthians 15:21:22
Romans 8:11
Forgiveness of sins
Peace with God 
Adoption into God's family
Physical reputation 
Inheritance for all eternity 
Etc 

First two blocks  are in Genesis.  Ic Genesis is not true,  the rest is not connected to historical reality. 
To understand the top three blocks you need the bottom. 
In evolutionary history,  a process of death brought man into the world. Opposite to Biblical. 

Matthew 28:18-19 make disciples of all nations.  Evolution is an attack on this. 
G Richard Bogarth or Bozarth quote (atheist)  explaining how evolution destroys Jesus 
Theistic evolution says God used the process of evolution to create. This is not a loving process. Cannot ascribe this process of death and suffering before sin to a loving God 
There cannot be a Fall of man.  The fall and evolution negate each other. 
No need for Jesus to die,  no answer to why he died,  under evolutionary thinking. 

Mark grew up beliving God used evolution to create and no one could explain to him why Jesus had to die,  didn't make sense without an understanding of Genesis in actual history. 
If death did not come through Adam,  what confidence can we have in the resurrection coming through Christ? 
Dr Albert Mohler quote. 

Long ages mean death and suffering in the world God called very good. 
Some testimonies.  An ex Baptist pastor who lost his faith in Bible school. 

Mark could not share his faith when young,  because he didn't have answers. 

Quoting Stephen Fry, if God created the universe (via evolution)  he is an utter maniac. 

If God is real why does he not fix everything? Is God impotent or callous? Why doesn't he intervene? 
Romans 8:22
At what point should God intervene? 
If God always intervened to prevent pain,  everything would be unpredictable and science would be impossible. 
God's greatest intervention was Jesus. Paid the price,  gave us a destiny. 

quote about if Christianity dies it will be lack of dissemination of the evidence, not lack of evidence. 
Finishing up with the parable of the sower. Seed sown on the path is anyone who hears the word but does not understand it. 
We need to be able explain this issue because not understanding it holds people back from God
Acts 2 Peter proclaiming Jesus to the Jews who already had the foundational Biblical knowledge they got it. 
Acts 17 Paul preaching to the Greeks,  had to start with foundational stuff,  existence of God the creator of all,  only a few believed. 
Back to the parable: rocky ground,  persecution because of the word,  people abandon it. 
Richard Dawkins quote,  if you say Adam and Eve were only symbolic,  Jesus died for something only symbolic = barking mad. (I.e. Christianity makes no sense without literal Adam and Eve)
Parable: seed on the thorns. Worshipping created things instead of God. 
Parable: Good soil,  prepared dug fertilised watered treated. 2 Timothy 1:12 
how could we trust God to do what he has promised if it took billions of years to get the world right? 

Dig deeper and learn what you can. 
You can take the step of faith stand confident in God's salvation,  repent and believe.
Jesus is the son of God, bridegroom at the wedding feast to which we have all been invited. 
Afternoon tea 
#atsupercamp2016

Pic from my seat. It's pretty full.

Spoiler

20160104_152646.thumb.jpg.077ce2da6a4976

Archived