IGNORED

A Courtship

Koala

So I was looking for a movie to rent and came across a documentary (Charter on Demand) called A Courtship. 

I won't spoil it, but it was really kind of sad. Please tell me I am not the only one who paid to watch this freak show.

ETA- They're from Alabama...good lord.  

Edited by Koala
  • Upvote 1

We rented it from Amazon the other night, I think it's also on iTunes. I thought it was interesting in that it was a woman in her 30's doing this as a free choice rather than a teen girl with little agency . It seemed like a variation on the theme of people becoming "radicalized" because of difficult or traumatic life events.  That, and the father of the family she moved in with is creepy.

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...

I just watched this with my DD today.  What a crapton of WTF! The protagonist obviously needs therapy, as she wants to hide from life. Everything that is wrong with patriarchy and purity cultue was plainly shown. The ending was so sad. I recommend this to anyone with a serious interest in the damage that fundamentalism does, especially to vulnerable women. Note that the family was racist also, no surprise there.

• Love 1

16 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

I just watched this with my DD today.  What a crapton of WTF! The protagonist obviously needs therapy, as she wants to hide from life. Everything that is wrong with patriarchy and purity cultue was plainly shown. The ending was so sad. I recommend this to anyone with a serious interest in the damage that fundamentalism does, especially to vulnerable women. Note that the family was racist also, no surprise there.

I felt like the family she lives with had a lot of incentive to keep her there. Free housekeeping, free childcare (though the kids are older by now)... 

• Love 1

From the little she shows to the public on Facebook, Kelly no longer works with Hearts in Step.  She started teaching at three other ballet schools in 2018 and 2019.  She's a fundie with no last name change, so still single.  Any other updates?

• 6 months later...

I rewatched this trainwreck today. From what I see on FB, Kelly is still single and is likely around 40 years old. I'm not sure if she still lives with the family, but I seriously hope not!

It was gross how this family only supported the idea of being a wife and mother to their daughters. Talk about making an idol out of marriage. Yes, marriage can be awesome, but there is so much more to life!!!!!