IGNORED

Fundie preachers just have to have 1st class or private jets

47of74

Hey, sitting in an uncomfortable seat in a musty metal tube with horrible food and children who enjoy kicking seats makes me feel like my soul is being spiritually corrupted by Satan, but you don't see me whining about my need for a private jet (but if anyone would like to donate me an Embraer Legacy 650 for my flight back to the UK, the Lord will surely bless you for protecting me from the demons on commercial jetliners).

10 minutes ago, 47of74 said: And of course who can forget Creflo Dollar who wanted a $65 million dollar Gulfstream G650...

A grifty grifter who grifts. He's a charlatan and pimp preacher. Can't stand him and I do not understand those who support his "ministry". Ugh, barf.:Grrrrr:

It is called greed they expect to make money like he does.

8 hours ago, Peas n carrots said:

Well of course preachers want private jets! Xgay Greg grew beyond the motorcoach and decided he needed a jumbo jet to get his message out.

Mercifully, the Lord didn't see fit to grant the Haislips' dreams, either for overly-gestated twins or any moving "Preachmobile"

22 hours ago, Fascinated said:

It's true, though. I flew to Florida today on a *gasp* commercial plane. I swear all the old folks pre-boarding in their wheelchairs were high as kites. And the demons!  I sat next to a couple of those, in their Christmas sweaters clutching the armrests in fear. It was a dope filled nightmare of a flight, let me tell you. 

Awwwww, you poor thing. You shouldn't have to deal with that!

in regards to Pope Francis, I think he said he felt silly or something like that when asked why he wanted a more simple apartment, and simple clothing. I would feel ridiculous owning a jet as a person of God.

In a biography about Mother Theresa set insisted she would only eat the dal served to the poorest, but was told she would have to eat better food to keep her strength and they would not back her if she refused. That's what the bio said anyway.

1 hour ago, Grimalkin said:

in regards to Pope Francis, I think he said he felt silly or something like that when asked why he wanted a more simple apartment, and simple clothing. I would feel ridiculous owning a jet as a person of God.

Yeah there are too many religious leaders on Earth who have no sense of shame. 

1 hour ago, 47of74 said:

Yeah there are too many religious leaders on Earth who have no sense of shame. 

From where I sit there are too many religious leaders, period. 

From where I sit there are too many religious leaders, period. 

And the problem is that just about any Richard, Harcourt, and Thomas can claim they're religious leaders. Especially in the more fundie churches. A couple seminars and bang you're a religious leaders. At least the Catholics and main lines want their leaders to be halfway educated.

My ministers are outraged by this as am I. All that money could be used for humanitarian aid.

I have never been a member of a church where the minister was well off.  Granted I've only been a member of 3 churches in my life but bear with me.  Church growing up, minister preached at 3 churches and salary was paid for by the conference, living wage home provided.  College church was a mega church for the area but not a mega church by anyone else's standards, standard middle class life.  Church as an adult, small non-denominational church, minister made 600 a month and he and his wife worked other jobs.  All three churches covered their expenses and the rest was outreach.  And outreach meant things to better the community and the citizens, food pantry, free meals, coats, ect.  You know what Jesus told us to do.

Now my cousin who is/was a minister, some weird stuff recently happened and I'm having a hard time putting the pieces together.  This church 2 miles from my church as an adult, rural, most people barely middle class, drives a Lambo.  A flipping lambo for crying out loud.  In that church's existence I never once heard of it doing a clothing drive, a food drive, donating anything to the local food pantries nothing.  They actually refused to participate in a countywide effort several years ago.  It wasn't Christian enough for them.  But the minister can drive a sports car that costs more than most of his congregation makes in a year.  Not very Christian if you ask me.

Didn't Creflo $ wanted to use the plane for humanitarian work, but analysts say the G650 really can only carry a small amount of cargo. 

1 hour ago, religiouslyconfused said:

Didn't Creflo $ wanted to use the plane for humanitarian work, but analysts say the G650 really can only carry a small amount of cargo. 

Not to mention you're not exactly going to land it on some half mile long dirt strip out in the Sahara. It's not really what I'd call a "utilitarian" plane. These prosperity gospel people are disgusting and it blows my mind how anyone with the slightest understanding of the New Testament can go along with their nonsense. I guess it's because some people are desperate and that's very, very sad

For a utilitarian plane for humanitarian missions you could charter out a freighter or even buy a used widebody airliner from a major airline. Of course you could also buy a Boeing Business jet. 

I don't consider them fundies. Like previously mentioned they are "name it and claim it" and prosperity gospel preachers who are roundly despised in my former extreme and current lite fundie circles. They appeal to one of the basest human desires (greed) and tell you God is totes ok with it if you are a Christian. I don't understand why so many fall for it because if you care even a little what the Bible says (and read it yourself, which might be the disconnect here) it's so clearly against this behavior.

They are disgusting.

A few years ago the local news talk was of minister Casey Treat using a helicopter as transport between his local entertainment centers churches here in the wilds of Puget Sound (Seattle area).  We talked to a couple members of his congregation, and they defended him using terms such as they (he and his wife) are so "nice and cute" and there were lots of fun/interesting activities.  Seriously.  It's all about the marketing, the amenities, the feel-good atmosphere that keeps those dollars willingly flowing from audience member to showman.  I also don't consider them fundies; I don't consider them Christians.  I also believe that in their heart of hearts, the people attending these sorts of churches know that it's not authentic Christianity, but enjoy the social aspect and willingly overlook the lack of content.

On 1/9/2016 at 8:19 AM, CTRLZero said:

A few years ago the local news talk was of minister Casey Treat using a helicopter as transport between his local entertainment centers churches here in the wilds of Puget Sound (Seattle area).  We talked to a couple members of his congregation, and they defended him using terms such as they (he and his wife) are so "nice and cute" and there were lots of fun/interesting activities.  Seriously.  It's all about the marketing, the amenities, the feel-good atmosphere that keeps those dollars willingly flowing from audience member to showman.  I also don't consider them fundies; I don't consider them Christians.  I also believe that in their heart of hearts, the people attending these sorts of churches know that it's not authentic Christianity, but enjoy the social aspect and willingly overlook the lack of content.

We are from the same area. I used to live very close to his Everett church (now live deeper in the wilds ;) ). I agree with you about it being a social and entertainment center. I know a few people who attend and the extent of their faith is a vague belief in God and lots of inspirational soundbites that are hollow and make no calls for you to strive for something greater than yourself or become a better person. . I find these prosperity preachers and the extreme fundie preachers we discuss here to be opposite ends of the spectrum. Each are dangerous and harmful in their own ways. 

On 1/1/2016 at 9:01 AM, smittykins said:

There's a video on YouTube with Bob Tilton thundering "Those nice new cars weren't made for the devil and his kids, they were made for GOD AND HIS KIDS!!!" :boom:

OH.  MY. STARS!  Don't get me started on Robert Tilton.  I lived in the DFW area during the height of his scam-ministry.  It was sickening to witness.

As far as taxation on churches:  When churches have to start paying taxes, there is no longer separation of church and state, IMO.  (Yes, and from that statement alone, I know we can springboard into a plethora of arguments about the church and the government...but I really don't want to go there with this post.)  For those who believe churches need to be involved in social outreach to their communities, I agree!  Many are: i.e., coffee and donuts on the street corner on a Sunday morning to anyone (anyone, not just members) who passes by, soup kitchens, food pantries, clothes closets, no-cost after school programs, shower and laundry services for the homeless, benevolence ministries, opening up church gymnasiums for members of the neighborhood to come play basketball in a safe environment, adopt-a-family programs, etc.  I was a member of a church once where a small group went out in the wee hours of Black Friday morning to serve coffee and hot chocolate to those who had been standing in line all night at various stores.  That same church also served pizza slices to university students waiting in line to attend a hip-hop concert, sponsored by the university.  Instead of arguing with protesters at an annual denominational meeting, they planned, instead, to serve them bottles of water during the hot, sunny daylight hours.  So, yeah, there's a lot wrong with protestant churches these days (There's a lot wrong with PEOPLE these days...) but there are some who are showing Christ's love through random acts of kindness and social ministries.

Also, IMO, no minister's standard of living should exceed the average church member's.  If you're a minister and have boatloads of money coming in, tithe it, give it, put some into retirement.  Don't flaunt it.  Your family can get to church just fine in that 2001 Dodge Caravan vs. a 2015 Cadillac Escalade (that you are financing over five years on the income the church pays you).

Archived