IGNORED

New Years Eve/New Years Day Foods

Lynn18

I'll do it, I'll start. We are going to a friends house for New Year's Eve. I'm making meatballs/sausage sauce (my grandma's recipe) for meatball sandwiches. Yum. She'll be making all sorts of things.

For New Year's Day, we have an open house to attend and I'll be making savory "crack". It's the saltine cracker toffee stuff, only you use bacon and toasted nuts and add cayenne to the toffee. Addicting...like crack! Then I've got the hambone from the Christmas ham to make bacon/ham/bean soup. The food, it never ends!

*goes to look for a green thing to eat that isn't an M&M*

We have an annual new years day brunch that we've had for years, nay, decades... biscuits and gravy, ham, shrimp, smoked salmon, black eyed peas, jalapeno cheesy grits, fruit and veggie trays, a waffle bar and coffee, decaf, hot and iced tea and OJ plus sparkling wine to make mimosas.  Expecting about 35 or so people.... 

We bake a traditional sweet bread that has a coin in it.  You divide the bread among everybody and whoever gets the coin is supposed to have luck in the new year.  We will also serve pomegranates because they symbolize luck and health in the new year.

Other than that, we have roast fish on the menu with a few different side salads.  I'm making orange, olive, and fennel salad, someone else is bringing pickled cabbage, carrots, and cukes, and there will be a beet and walnut spread plus a garlic, olive oil, and bread sauce.

Next week starts things like bean soups and other vegan dishes to dial down from the holiday eating and get people into their New Year's diets. ;)

As silly as it sounds, over Christmas we are so busy we don't get an actual sit down enjoy your time turkey dinner.  So on New Years we make our own turkey with all the fixins.  That way we get all the leftovers to re-purpose too.

Mmmm turkey

Never should have opened this thread.

My mom (may her God rest her, in the glory of heaven) used to make Swedish meatballs. One-third veal, one-third pork, and one-third beef, with a little nutmeg, a few white bread crumbs, and browned in so much butter ZsuZsu would be jealous. Then the sauce was finished off with half-and-half cream.

Am now drooling and trying to remember where the recipe card is....

New Years Eve- chicken wings, shrimp, cheese and cracker, veggies, and something sweet

New Years Day - Prime Rib, potatoes,salad, rolls and cheese cake

We're having somewhat of a heritage smorgasbord on New Year's Eve:

• Swedish meatballs (Swedish)
  • lefse (Norwegian)
  • sausage rolls (English)

Several other things - baked feta, thanks to a poster here whose name I can't remember (it sounds so good!), other cheeses and crackers, olives, pickles, vegie platter, cream cheese/pepper jelly/baby shrimp dip. 

Some lemon-mascarpone tarts and gingerbread and maybe rosettes.

Cornish pasties for New Year's Day - beef for the omnivores, cheese and onion for the vegetarians.

I hope everyone has a nice New Year's!

Not doing much, since it's just us and I'm sick, but I am going to be begging my wife for a roast chicken. Either a rotisserie, or a whole one (I don't care, but between overtime and taking care of me we will probably cheat). And baked potatoes with either spinach or broccoli.

We always end up with stuffed mushrooms and bacon carbonara. It's become our tradition. I would like to go to Salex's brunch though. I'm a northerner and am fascinated by southern foods. 

@salex      A good friend of mine grew up in South Carolina, I have heard her talk about grits often and know she misses them. She is having major surgery in January I would like to surprise her, can you recommend a brand of grits to me? There seems to be lots of controversy about old fashioned and instant and quick cooking not sure what to get. I would order of of Amazon. I found a few recipes but would not mind it if you added yours. 

We're having our traditional open house on New Year's Day. We have a couple of staples on the menu: Christmas Cookies, Ham and Hot Turkey Salad; the rest changes from year to year- this year we're having Rogan Josh Beef Curry, Saffron Rice, Eggplant Parmesan, French Toast, Eggnog Baked Oatmeal and I'm sure I've forgotten something.

Sandwiches, chips, sodas watching the Cotton Bowl, and then a private party for 2.

1 hour ago, Grimalkin said:

We always end up with stuffed mushrooms and bacon carbonara. It's become our tradition. I would like to go to Salex's brunch though. I'm a northerner and am fascinated by southern foods. 

@salex      A good friend of mine grew up in South Carolina, I have heard her talk about grits often and know she misses them. She is having major surgery in January I would like to surprise her, can you recommend a brand of grits to me? There seems to be lots of controversy about old fashioned and instant and quick cooking not sure what to get. I would order of of Amazon. I found a few recipes but would not mind it if you added yours. 

Will do tommorrow 

I can't believe no one else has pork and sauerkraut or black eyed peas for New Years Day. They are the traditional good luck / anti-itch foods of my childhood.

What amazing diversity! It's great to read about all the different heritages as illustrated by New Year dinners. Is New Year a bigger occasion in the States than Christmas ( sorry holidays?) Here in Ireland I would say it's maybe less of a meal but other people correct me if I'm wrong.There a lot of celebrating on New Years Eve here in pubs and probably a lot of  sore heads the next day! We usually have roast Turkey and Ham on Christmas day ( some would have Goose or Chicken or other roast) don't forget the sprouts!,On New year's day we will have roast Beef and Yorshire Puddings with roast potatoes parsnips etc etc .Trifle features heavily for dessert ! 

There is A LOT of partying in my neck of the woods on New Years Eve. New Years day is recovering from hangovers and football.

I've never heard of any traditional Australian meals for New Year's Eve/Day.  Tonight at a friend's place we had BBQ chicken breasts and salads for dinner.  All the ham and turkey from Christmas is gone. The kids finished off their gingerbread house tonight..  Tomorrow the diet starts!

9 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

I am from KS an didn't eat grits growing up.  But I'm a foodie, and was inspired by some jalapeno cheese grits at a hipster diner-- the bright spot in an otherwise overpriced and average breakfast. I use Quaker 5 minute grits but I'm not a grits purist, so ~~~

""my recipe" is found across the net.  Not sure if this is the place I got it originally,but it is the recipe I use. It is yum and a bit addictive.  At first we said "that's not bad" and then we were going back for more.   http://relish.com/recipes/jalapeno-cheese-grits/    I replace the chicken stock with vegetable broth/stock because I like to have dishes my vegetarian friends can eat at the brunch .

Good for you making comfort food for your friend!

We celebrate Hogmanay but spread the food out over New Year's Eve and New Year's Day so we can celebrate with more people.  So tonight we will have a shrimp ring, veggie tray cheese and crackers (including a really yummy 12 year old cheddar... oooh I can't wait!) smoked salmon (not my fave, but everyone else likes it) Haggis, tatties and neeps, shortbread, mince pies and copious amounts of single malt and prosecco at midnight. 

Then tomorrow for New Year's Dinner (around 1pm) all the cousins will be over and  we have all the nibblies again,  more haggis, tatties and neeps, cockaleekie soup (chicken and leek soup), prime rib, mashed potatoes, mushroom and onions, peas, gravy and cranachan for dessert (cranachan is a parfait made with honey and whiskey whipped cream, toasted oat crumble and raspberries) 

Thank you salex! @JeebusismycopilotI never heard of Hogmanay. Your location says Canada, but your post sounds like you are Scottish. I am watching "Mysteries at the Castle" and this episode is about Eidenbourough (spelling?) and the black dinner. 

@Grimalkin My family is English and Scottish and we have always embrace our heritage.  My dad came over from from England and my mother's grandparents all came over from Scotland and they always incorporated these celebrations and traditions in their life here. So it just seems normal to us. We make a bigger deal of Robbie Burns than we do Christmas.  We all took country dance lessons (my sister also did highland dance.) I took bagpipe lessons and I still play (to the horror of my poor neighbours!) We still have plenty of family in Scotland and England.  

New Year isn't really a big thing for us since we had children especially as my crohnic illness as I'm often in bed early anyway.

My husband and I have picked up a posh 'pub' meal to put in the oven later - cod and chorizo with patatas bravas.

Tomorrow we will be going to see my parents, brother and SIL so we are all bringing part of the meal. We are providing a beef joint which we will cook at home as the journey time to my parents house is just the right amount of time to rest the meat before carving.

Archived