IGNORED

Happy 17th Birthday Jedidiah and Jeremiah!

habert

2 hours ago, MatthewDuggar said:

Did anyone really expect that the Duggars would go anywhere in the world and rave about the food?  I'm sure each of the restaurant situations were half set up TLC and half their own personal lifestyle, so it makes sense.   I can recall my parents as well as teachers recounting cuisines from other countries, I doubt the dining room table wisdom bookets touch on that.  Had M&J even been outside of the US before TLC?

I've also met many people from other countries visiting the US turn their noses up at things like biscuits and gravy, grits, or anything else specific to the US.   

It's pretty much my dream to try biscuits and gravy, I have seen pictures and it looks awesome. Grits not so much, but I'd give it a go! I also love the way that in the US you can go to diners! We don't really have anything like that where I live. And also bottomless soft drinks at restaurants, here you have to pay $3.00 for one measly glass! Also deep dish pizza, and NY-style pizza and mozzarella sticks and IN-N-OUT burger! Plus the sheer variety of candy and soda flavours. One day I'm going to go to the US and put on 10kg from all the food.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was in China, I had a blast trying all of the cuisine! (well, there were a couple exceptions, I'm thankful my friend was there who reads/speaks Mandarin and told me there was dog on the menu) It was fabulous! It was also crazy cheap! We did try Mc Donald's, out of curiosity, but mostly stuck to traditional foods. 

I feel terrible for Derrick. Feel free to judge me, but honestly, I would be heartbroken if I had surgery and it messed up my face. I have really painful jaw problems/TMJ, and watching his transformation has me terrified of a possible surgery! I know it's vain, but it's true. I like my face and I don't want to change it. Poor Derrick. I will say that I'm happy with my character as well, and I hope he's happy with himself too. But sadly, considering the family he's married into, that may not be the case. I truly feel for him. 

5 hours ago, MatthewDuggar said:

I've also met many people from other countries visiting the US turn their noses up at things like biscuits and gravy, grits, or anything else specific to the US.

My English husband can't understand why anyone would eat peanut butter.

I can't understand why anyone would eat black pudding...

21 minutes ago, AlysonRR said:

Peanut butter is my life. For real. 

33 minutes ago, Marissap said:

Peanut butter is my life. For real. 

The only reason not to eat peanut butter is if you are allergic to peanuts.

I recall my ire at the Duggars in Japan. Those snacks they brought to the feast...so disrespectful!

We used to go to the McDonalds in Sweden some...many restaurants eother closed very early or weren't open on Sundays, but McD always was. Not fabulous,  but better than in the US. One different  item:  fried herbed cream cheese stars.

I have to agree with @Calimojo. Escargot doesnt even sound appetizing and true there are different dietary needs like salt and sugar restrictions, and IBS. Some people cant eat spicy foods. I see no point in bringing an unrequested dish especially to foreigners. That said, I do think the Duggars handle it rudely. Supporters say the kids are well-traveled and well-manner but I say -barf. They are only 'well-mannered' in their own world and would not have ever gone to Japan, or Europe without TLC..
Anyway Jed and Jer one more year to freedom but I don't expect a miracle.

7 hours ago, CorruptionInc. said:

Here in Australia I am so grateful for the amazing amount of choices we have when it comes to food! God forbid should the Duggars come here, but if they do- they better not complain!

The US has an incredible spectrum of international cuisine available both in restaurants and full size supermarkets where you can get ingredients to cook it for yourself.   The Duggars simply choose to never venture out of  their comfort zone.

Last year we did a Mini World Tour; NY, London, Paris, Rome, Hong Kong (we were there when the 'riots' were on) and while I did love most of the food I did notice a few things...

1. It's hard to find French food in Paris (also they can't cook Italian).
  2. Al dente is a lot less cooked than you'd think.
  3. If you're in London you need to go eat at the Camden Markets (they have a stall that has the best octopus), and grab food at the Crypt in St. Martin-in-the-field (mostly for the ambience).
  4. My Great-Grandfather was right. English Pork and Australian Pork taste different. Why?
  5. Hong Kong cuisine is weird i.e. Strawberry Fried Chicken which was literally strawberry jam on a chicken schnitzel.
  6. Even countries with a reputation for amazing food can have horrible restaurants.

I don't think there was many places we ate at that the Duggars would have enjoyed the food. Americanised food is so different from the traditional food. I found that what we get from Australia is a lot closer to traditional but then my family only really eat at restaurants that have a reputation for authentic, traditional food because thats what we enjoy. 

Also can someone tell me why there seems to be cherry in everything in America? I hate it and by the end of our stay I asked before I ordered anything because artificial cherry flavour tastes like medication to me. I kept getting weird looks as if to say "Why would there be cherry flavour in this sangria?" BUT I'VE BEEN BURNED BEFORE.

Here in Australia I am so grateful for the amazing amount of choices we have when it comes to food! God forbid should the Duggars come here, but if they do- they better not complain!

I have to ask. I once stayed with an Aussie couple on Airbnb, and they were all excited to show my partner and I (Americans freshly landed in England) the raw bacon. They thought it was amazing that it was raw and told us that bacon comes already cooked in Oz.

Is this your experience as well? Is it crispy? Is it back bacon (like in England) or belly bacon (ie. Streaky or American style)? Do you have any idea why it would be available raw?

I have also looked over a lot of menus for restaurants in Perth as part of a job I used to have. If I ever make it down there, I have a whole list of places I'm dying to try!

I have to ask. I once stayed with an Aussie couple on Airbnb, and they were all excited to show my partner and I (Americans freshly landed in England) the raw bacon. They thought it was amazing that it was raw and told us that bacon comes already cooked in Oz.

Is this your experience as well? Is it crispy? Is it back bacon (like in England) or belly bacon (ie. Streaky or American style)? Do you have any idea why it would be available raw?

I have also looked over a lot of menus for restaurants in Perth as part of a job I used to have. If I ever make it down there, I have a whole list of places I'm dying to try!

To be honest I am unsure. However any bacon I use is not cooked and I will cook it however suitable for the recipe. We mostly have middle bacon from the supermarket.

I recall my ire at the Duggars in Japan. Those snacks they brought to the feast...so disrespectful!

We used to go to the McDonalds in Sweden some...many restaurants eother closed very early or weren't open on Sundays, but McD always was. Not fabulous,  but better than in the US. One different  item:  fried herbed cream cheese stars.

I had fried Camembert and it was fantastic! I don't know why, it just was!

5 hours ago, MatthewDuggar said: I've also met many people from other countries visiting the US turn their noses up at things like biscuits and gravy, grits, or anything else specific to the US.

Is peanut butter not commonly eaten in England? I have had no trouble finding pb at Waitrose, M&S, Lidl (German, but it's here too), Asda, and the Co-op. Since it was so available, I figured it was not unusual in England. Whereas it's a lot harder to find blood sausage, crumpets, or marmite at the mainstream us stores. What I can't find in England and am beginning to think are really American are egg sandwiches with cheese on them, chicken breakfast sausages, grits (just as @matthewduggar said, which is a shame because double cream really kicks up the sauce options), anything involving "country gravy," and all-beef hot dogs. Surprisingly, I have also struggled to find what America calls "English muffins" in England (called "toasting muffins" here, and they are much less prevalent than crumpets).

On 1/1/2016 at 8:13 PM, calimojo said:

I am an adventurous eater but I honestly dislike almost all fish. I have tried for years to learn go like and I can't. I start to feel nauseous as I chew it. If someone kindly sent me a free fish dish I would have to politely refuse it.  I like crab and lobster and calamari but not fish.   

I am the same way about fish.

I adore sushi but do not like cooked fish. I will eat a salmon filet every now and then because I know  it's good for me but I don't really enjoy it. 

Somone up thread mentioned only eating at places not available at home - I do the same thing! A few years a go I was in South Carolina for vacation. I made it a point to have grits and sweet tea while I was there. I'm on board with grits. I'm not a southerner and will probably never have a passion for them but I get the appeal, they were yummy! I cannot say the same thing about sweet tea though. Definitely not for me.

10 hours ago, iweartanktops6 said:

I feel terrible for Derrick. Feel free to judge me, but honestly, I would be heartbroken if I had surgery and it messed up my face. I have really painful jaw problems/TMJ, and watching his transformation has me terrified of a possible surgery! I know it's vain, but it's true. I like my face and I don't want to change it. Poor Derrick. I will say that I'm happy with my character as well, and I hope he's happy with himself too. But sadly, considering the family he's married into, that may not be the case. I truly feel for him. 

I agree. I have a cross-bite (curtesy of childhood orthotontics) that is not causing any medical problems. No pain, no trouble with teeth not having enough space, even my wisdom teeth came out with no problems. And yet, every dentist, every dental nurse, every dental technician asks me if I've considered getting my jaw surgically fixed. Like, have my jaw broken and re-set. Terribly painful, would be out of comission for weeks, can't eat, the whole deal. Somehow, they all feel the need to ask me if I want this horribly-sounding, unnecessary (as in: purely cometic) procedure. One dental nurse even told me that my face would look much softer (read: nicer) if I had the surgery done. (Needless to say, I complained about her. Never had to deal with her again.) My cross-bite isn't even bad. Whenever I mention it to a friend, they are always surprised and say something like "Now that you mention it, I can kind of see it, but I never noticed it before." No thank you. I happen to like my face, and I have no desire to look completely different (and possibly screwed up). Sorry, this is completely off-topic. Hope you don't have to have the surgery, @iweartanktops6

32 minutes ago, missegeno said:

Is peanut butter not commonly eaten in England? I have had no trouble finding pb at Waitrose, M&S, Lidl (German, but it's here too), Asda, and the Co-op. Since it was so available, I figured it was not unusual in England. Whereas it's a lot harder to find blood sausage, crumpets, or marmite at the mainstream us stores. What I can't find in England and am beginning to think are really American are egg sandwiches with cheese on them, chicken breakfast sausages, grits (just as @matthewduggar said, which is a shame because double cream really kicks up the sauce options), anything involving "country gravy," and all-beef hot dogs. Surprisingly, I have also struggled to find what America calls "English muffins" in England (called "toasting muffins" here, and they are much less prevalent than crumpets).

I think peanut butter has sneaked into British households over the years. I'm 37 and my parents are stiflingly traditional and it would never have appeared in our cupboard but it's a staple in our house now, but only as a toast item, never on a sandwich. 

I can't get my head around egg and cheese combined in a sandwich but I'd put cheese in an omlette (so I realise it makes  no sense) sausages are almost always pork, or you might get speciality sausages that were a different type of meat. I've still never eaten grits or really know what they are, despite having been to the US probably 20+ times, nor have I tried the gravy.

However, I really get excited about the food when I go to the US because it is so diverse. I got back from Vegas 4 weeks ago and we picked restaurants well and ate amazingly. We love the steak, seafood and salads. You have some amazing Asian restaurants and Central/South American cuisine, too. Also your fruit is much taster, your coffee fantastic and I couldn't resist a muffin for breakfast every morning - so good and so much better than ours. I missed our generic sliced bread and the very simple sandwiches we have in the UK, but I think that was it. 

I loved that someone mentioned Indian cuisine in the UK, it's our absolute favourite, same for most households that I know. A weekend curry and beer is a tradition. 

24 minutes ago, Gossamer1 said:

I am the same way about fish.

I adore sushi but do not like cooked fish. I will eat a salmon filet every now and then because I know  it's good for me but I don't really enjoy it. 

Somone up thread mentioned only eating at places not available at home - I do the same thing! A few years a go I was in South Carolina for vacation. I made it a point to have grits and sweet tea while I was there. I'm on board with grits. I'm not a southerner and will probably never have a passion for them but I get the appeal, they were yummy! I cannot say the same thing about sweet tea though. Definitely not for me.

I can't really stand seafood in general. I worked at a fishmonger during my undergrad studies and it turned me off it even more. The only seafood I can stand is fried octopus or squid and mild white-flesh fish battered and smothered in Tartare. So, fish that doesn't taste like fish.

Australian here, what are grits? I've heard about it before but have no idea what it is.

25 minutes ago, Darwinesque said:

I loved that someone mentioned Indian cuisine in the UK, it's our absolute favourite, same for most households that I know. A weekend curry and beer is a tradition. 

Exactly what we're having tonight! Ordered in from our favourite takeaway. Sometimes I love living in London.

Also yes to loving the food in the States. I always pack my larger clothes when we go because I know I'm going to put on weight. But sadly grits was not my thing:(

33 minutes ago, Alye said:

Australian here, what are grits? I've heard about it before but have no idea what it is.

Ground corn cooked in water or milk. Yes, it sounds gross but it's good with a little salt and butter.

I think peanut butter has sneaked into British households over the years. I'm 37 and my parents are stiflingly traditional and it would never have appeared in our cupboard but it's a staple in our house now, but only as a toast item, never on a sandwich. 

I can't get my head around egg and cheese combined in a sandwich but I'd put cheese in an omlette (so I realise it makes  no sense) sausages are almost always pork, or you might get speciality sausages that were a different type of meat. I've still never eaten grits or really know what they are, despite having been to the US probably 20+ times, nor have I tried the gravy.

However, I really get excited about the food when I go to the US because it is so diverse. I got back from Vegas 4 weeks ago and we picked restaurants well and ate amazingly. We love the steak, seafood and salads. You have some amazing Asian restaurants and Central/South American cuisine, too. Also your fruit is much taster, your coffee fantastic and I couldn't resist a muffin for breakfast every morning - so good and so much better than ours. I missed our generic sliced bread and the very simple sandwiches we have in the UK, but I think that was it. 

Wow, I've always considered Nevada to have the worst everything in the us. Lol. I'm sure the food you found was awesome, i just wouldn't have thought of LV as a food destination. :-)

Maybe I'm just from a foodie area of the us and not in a foodie area of England, but I don't understand why everyone thinks the sliced bread is different in the UK vs America. I haven't noticed a difference with anything I've bought (usually whole wheat, oat, or multigrain/seed). Sandwiches in those triangle packs everywhere are delightful though, and I'm amazed they aren't a larger part of England's reputation.

Just to be clear about Nevada, I haven't spent a ton of time there and certainly was not going to high quality restaurants when I was there (never in LV, I've only stopped overnight in Reno and Elko on road trips), so I don't mean to say that Nevada lacks good food. It's just not where I would expect to find it, based on reputation and minimal personal experience.

6 minutes ago, missegeno said:

... Sandwiches in those triangle packs everywhere are delightful though, and I'm amazed they aren't a larger part of England's reputation.

I love british supermarkets and was amazed at the giant line up of hundreds of triangle pre-made sandwiches.  My first thought was that people must be too damn busy to make their own sandwiches at home.  In the US you can get them at convenience store/gas stations, but they are usually just ham & cheese, egg salad or tuna and the age of them is often questionable.

41 minutes ago, missegeno said:

Maybe I'm just from a foodie area of the us and not in a foodie area of England, but I don't understand why everyone thinks the sliced bread is different in the UK vs America. I haven't noticed a difference with anything I've bought (usually whole wheat, oat, or multigrain/seed). Sandwiches in those triangle packs everywhere are delightful though, and I'm amazed they aren't a larger part of England's reputation.

I've lived in the US for a long time now, but am originally from Aus. One of the first things I noticed was that the bread seemed different. I am sure it is sweeter over here. A plain white bread in Aus (and possibly England) seems more savory, somehow.

Archived