IGNORED

Happy 17th Birthday Jedidiah and Jeremiah!

habert

26 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I don't understand people who eat tons of American fast food when they travel to a foreign country, especially a foreign country with really good cuisine that's better-tasting and/or cheaper. If you're there long-term, it's a fun treat every once in a while, but it seems like Jill and Derick go to Little Caesar's/Papa John's/Subway a lot. And if I had people visiting me in a foreign country, you bet your ass they'd be getting hauled to the best roadside stalls, the best local restaurants that only locals know about, and trying out some home-cooked versions of the local cuisine. They can have Papa John's when they go back home.

The Duggars have no interest in other people or foreign cultures. And by "foreign cultures," I mean anyone who isn't a white Gothardite living in the South. Given how disrespectful they are of people who are even the slightest bit different from themselves, it may be for the best that they don't sample the local cuisine, since I could totally see them tasting a homemade dish that a member of a church plant made especially for them, making a face, and spitting it out, right in front of the crestfallen chef.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

The Duggars have no interest in other people or foreign cultures. And by "foreign cultures," I mean anyone who isn't a white Gothardite living in the South. Given how disrespectful they are of people who are even the slightest bit different from themselves, it may be for the best that they don't sample the local cuisine, since I could totally see them tasting a homemade dish that a member of a church plant made especially for them, making a face, and spitting it out, right in front of the crestfallen chef.

They seem to be very picky/limited in their food choices. When in Nepal, JB could barely look at the food where Derrick had taken them to eat and I found it to be very short sighted and ignorant. He, of course thought he was being hilarious.  Jessa and Ben both about barfed when given escargot on their honeymoon and I found their reactions to be very rude as it was a gift from the restaurant as it was their honeymoon. I have also seen the littles hold their noses at times when an "unknown" food is brought out. It is their loss as they are missing some very good food. But, they are too ignorant to even realize there is something besides chickensketti and tator tot casserole out there. I find their actions in restaurants particularly out of the country to be horribly rude.

15 hours ago, ElegantMajesticPearls said:

According to Pickles, the Duggars are on their usual mission trip to El Salvador including Jill and Derick. So the twins are in Central America. 

Oh, Pickles. The El Salvador trip is in the first half of December, not the second. http://web.archive.org/web/20151202203123/http://www.soshope.org/serve-overseas/

17 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I don't understand people who eat tons of American fast food when they travel to a foreign country, especially a foreign country with really good cuisine that's better-tasting and/or cheaper. If you're there long-term, it's a fun treat every once in a while, but it seems like Jill and Derick go to Little Caesar's/Papa John's/Subway a lot. And if I had people visiting me in a foreign country, you bet your ass they'd be getting hauled to the best roadside stalls, the best local restaurants that only locals know about, and trying out some home-cooked versions of the local cuisine. They can have Papa John's when they go back home.

I completely agree. I have a friend I travel with quite frequently. We have a one firm rule. We are not allowed to eat anywhere we could eat at home. It doesn't matter if it is another country or just another state. There is no point in going somewhere and doing the same thing you could at home. The problem is that the Duggars  are not "adventurous" eaters. Remember the episode where Josh, Anna and the Duggar girls went to an Italian Restuarant? They were out of sorts. It would never occur to them to try local food. 

I remember on their trip to Japan one of the little girls, I can't remember if it was Jordyn or Jennifer, was extremely into eating all of the Japanese delicacies at breakfast, and most of the rest just kind of laughed at her as an oddity while they ate their snack foods that they had brought from home and stuffed in their pockets.

My Father-in-Law is from Hong Kong, and growing up my husband and his siblings went there for an extended trip every summer. From what I've heard they were always into eating all of the local food there, but one year when my husband and his brother were teenagers they insisted on having McDonalds one day because they missed fast food. Both spent the rest of the day throwing up, and were told by their Dad "that is why you eat local food in Hong Kong."

18 minutes ago, Valerie3kids said:

They seem to be very picky/limited in their food choices. When in Nepal, JB could barely look at the food where Derrick had taken them to eat and I found it to be very short sighted and ignorant. He, of course thought he was being hilarious.  Jessa and Ben both about barfed when given escargot on their honeymoon and I found their reactions to be very rude as it was a gift from the restaurant as it was their honeymoon. I have also seen the littles hold their noses at times when an "unknown" food is brought out. It is their loss as they are missing some very good food. But, they are too ignorant to even realize there is something besides chickensketti and tator tot casserole out there. I find their actions in restaurants particularly out of the country to be horribly rude.

I don't think the Duggars are picky eaters so much that they've convinced themselves that American fast food is the pinnacle of all cuisine. Furthermore, because Gothardism is about "training"/beating the curiosity out of children, they have no interest in expanding their palates or experiencing anything new. Gothardism enthrones banality and bad taste as the best of all possible worlds, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that the Duggars will prefer to live off of familiar chain restaurant fare than run the risk of getting out of their comfort zones.

16 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

I remember on their trip to Japan one of the little girls, I can't remember if it was Jordyn or Jennifer, was extremely into eating all of the Japanese delicacies at breakfast, and most of the rest just kind of laughed at her as an oddity while they ate their snack foods that they had brought from home and stuffed in their pockets.

My Father-in-Law is from Hong Kong, and growing up my husband and his siblings went there for an extended trip every summer. From what I've heard they were always into eating all of the local food there, but one year when my husband and his brother were teenagers they insisted on having McDonalds one day because they missed fast food. Both spent the rest of the day throwing up, and were told by their Dad "that is why you eat local food in Hong Kong."

When I was in Israel on a tour with a bunch of 20 year olds they also stopped at a McDonalds, I'm not sure why but it was interesting to me that it had almost no relation to a US one.  My mother also once tried to get around passover restrictions by ordering from Pizza Hut in Tel Aviv, that did not go as planned.

Wasn't there also an episode where the Duggars went to an Ethiopian restaurant, and they could barely contain their rudeness both for the food and the restaurant itself? I recall Anna in that instance was particularly rude. Maybe it is indeed better if they just stick with what they know.

41 minutes ago, socalrules said:

I completely agree. I have a friend I travel with quite frequently. We have a one firm rule. We are not allowed to eat anywhere we could eat at home. It doesn't matter if it is another country or just another state. There is no point in going somewhere and doing the same thing you could at home. The problem is that the Duggars  are not "adventurous" eaters. Remember the episode where Josh, Anna and the Duggar girls went to an Italian Restuarant? They were out of sorts. It would never occur to them to try local food. 

We have the same rule when we travel. Now we do live in a fairly small town so some restaurants we stop at are regular places to others. But, we try to sample things we have not had before. I am a firm believer that one bite will not kill you and you just might actually like it. My daughter has the same rule with her children and her daughter eats all kinds of things I wouldn't have as a child.

I just the get the impression they don't even try. Nor do they care. Just like JB feels he can speak "Spanish" in any country he goes to and finds it so enormously funny. He is a buffoon. Clear and simple.

Ben acted like an ass over the escargot. He showed the teenager he really is.

When I traveled to England as a teen I went to a Mc Donald's in London once. I just couldn't resist. I wanted to see if it was different there. Not much, as I recall. But... Papa Johns?!

1 hour ago, Valerie3kids said:

If I were the cook or restaurant proprietor, I'd kick them out. On camera. It's OK to try something new and realize you don't care for it (I've certainly had that experience), but I would be enraged if someone I cooked for tried the food I worked hard to make for them, and then made grossed out faces and rude comments about it. For all their talk about teaching good character and behavior, JB and Michelle sure let their offspring act horrifically disrespectful to everyone they meet.

4 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

If I were the cook or restaurant proprietor, I'd kick them out. On camera. It's OK to try something new and realize you don't care for it (I've certainly had that experience), but I would be enraged if someone I cooked for tried the food I worked hard to make for them, and then made grossed out faces and rude comments about it. For all their talk about teaching good character and behavior, JB and Michelle sure let their offspring act horrifically disrespectful to everyone they meet.

Exactly. You can politely say you tried it but just did not care for it. But, they will not even try it. They are rude from the time they sit down.   JB, himself acts like a complete ass. So how are any of the children supposed to learn to try anything when all the olders are holding their noses and being rude? I felt bad for the waiter that brought out the escargot for Jessa and Ben. He found out it was their honeymoon and the chef sent out something special. They both acted like immature morons. Jessa would barely look at it and Ben tried to take a bite out of one and couldn't. He couldn't man up and swallow one bite? So they giggled and sent them back. If it had been my restaurant I would have ushered them out at that point. Don't bring in cameras and act like my food is bad because you have no taste buds.

Maybe that is what it is going to take for this family. Someone to stand up to them on camera and treat them like they treat others. I am sure it will be blamed on them not knowing Jesus and they will pray for them. They give Christians a bad name with their superiority complexes and narrow minds. There is no giving nor kindness in this family.

1 minute ago, Valerie3kids said:

Exactly. You can politely say you tried it but just did not care for it. But, they will not even try it. They are rude from the time they sit down.   JB, himself acts like a complete ass. So how are any of the children supposed to learn to try anything when all the olders are holding their noses and being rude? I felt bad for the waiter that brought out the escargot for Jessa and Ben. He found out it was their honeymoon and the chef sent out something special. They both acted like immature morons. Jessa would barely look at it and Ben tried to take a bite out of one and couldn't. He couldn't man up and swallow one bite? So they giggled and sent them back. If it had been my restaurant I would have ushered them out at that point. Don't bring in cameras and act like my food is bad because you have no taste buds.

Maybe that is what it is going to take for this family. Someone to stand up to them on camera and treat them like they treat others. I am sure it will be blamed on them not knowing Jesus and they will pray for them. They give Christians a bad name with their superiority complexes and narrow minds. There is no giving nor kindness in this family.

On the one hand, I'm glad there aren't any more specials as far as we know. On the other, I really wish I could see a restaurant proprietor or a museum guide just say "enough is enough" and call them out on their behavior.

We had this discussion before.  I stopped at Mc Donald's in Paris once, just out of sheer convenience.  It was the first day of arrival, I was exhausted after touring for a while and starving.  I planned to head to the hotel and crash and Mickey D's was a familiar face.  It tasted awful. (horse meat?)

As I recall, much of the negative reactions at the Ethiopian restaurant were about the dancing that was going on there. The food certainly had bad reactions, but the real disgust was given to the dancing. 

Anyways, Happy belated Birthday Jed and Jer! Here's to you breaking out next year when you turn 18!

I've tried escargots and I like them. I've tried anchovies and don't like them. If someone were to give me anchovies in another country because they were a special treat, I would eat them with a smile and say thank you. (I might put a couple on Mr. Wolf's plate if no one was looking.) 

JB really annoyed me when he was trying to get a reaction out of the guard at Buckingham Palace. He could be the poster boy for Ugly American.

I've been to a few different countries and I will admit, I believe I've eaten at Mcdonalds in every country. Partly for convenience, partly for curiosity. You can see a difference in cultures based off of McDonalds and some of them have interesting choices. 

However, I did live in Japan for 4 years. So American foods weren't as common as they would have been if I had visited those countries from the states. My husband and I did a pretty good job though of going to local places but we did always have 1 mcdonalds stop and 1 hard rock cafe stop. The HRC was mostly because it was a place we knew we could get decent drinks from. And the one in Singapore had Chili Crab Dip... sooo good. 

But I digress, my trips to "American" restaurants weren't so much of a "I don't want to eat the local food" like it appears for the Duggars. I would always also go to a local 7/11 (They are everywhere in Asia!) and try some of their snacks. 

Isn't the founder of Papa John's a fundie?  That could explain why the Duggars gravitated towards them.

Anyways, happy birthday to the J twins.  I hope they start to plot their escape.

4 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Isn't the founder of Papa John's a fundie?  That could explain why the Duggars gravitated towards them.

Anyways, happy birthday to the J twins.  I hope they start to plot their escape.

I think he's just a tea partier, if I'm not mistaken.

I know he was a piss baby about the ACA.

2 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Whatever he is I can't stand him in the TV commercials.  When I think of "Papa John", I don't want to think of some average-joe with dyed hair pushing 50 that seems to be obsessed with footballs players.  Maybe it's the appeal to the average consumer.  I also hate their pizza.

Their pizza sucks.  I hate it how they put things like pepperoni under the cheese (I can't eat pepperoni and they make it difficult to pick it off).

Besides, I am from New York and I know good pizza.

7 hours ago, Valerie3kids said:

We have the same rule when we travel. Now we do live in a fairly small town so some restaurants we stop at are regular places to others. But, we try to sample things we have not had before. I am a firm believer that one bite will not kill you and you just might actually like it. My daughter has the same rule with her children and her daughter eats all kinds of things I wouldn't have as a child.

I just the get the impression they don't even try. Nor do they care. Just like JB feels he can speak "Spanish" in any country he goes to and finds it so enormously funny. He is a buffoon. Clear and simple.

Ben acted like an ass over the escargot. He showed the teenager he really is.

I don't think you are remembering the escargot incident correctly.  Ben was actually much more polite than Jessa was. Andcvi don't think he sent it back.   

I can't believe I am going to defend these little twits but I personally see nothing wrong with not wanting to eat food that someone sent you without asking. In this day and age with food allergies and such it just makes sense to inquire with customer before sending out a free dish. Yes the thought us wonderful but I don't want snails I am probably  not going to eat them. I am an adventurous eater but I honestly dislike almost all fish. I have tried for years to learn go like and I can't. I start to feel nauseous as I chew it. If someone kindly sent me a free fish dish I would have to politely refuse it.  I like crab and lobster and calamari but not fish.   

I suspect that the producers set up that whole escargot thing.  Ben and Jessa have no skill at being tactful so it came off as rude. But Ben did actually try it. And I think he said it wasn't bad 

Archived