IGNORED

TX Christian Says God Helped Her Redirect Tornado To Another Neighborhood, Killing 8

doggie

A heathen friend of mine in Texas posted pictures of her neighborhood.  Hers was one of the few completely undamaged, and most of the others were flattened, including the Christians' homes.  How do the idiots explain the heathen home being saved, but not the devout people's homes?

I am suddenly reminded of a neighbor several years back at a Christmas party at her home saying she prayed for natural disasters to occur so her husband's business would pick up. I quickly reminded her that was a rather shitty thing to pray for and that many people die or suffer great loss due to those events occurring. Needless to say, we never were invited back to her Christmas parties...... Thank God. 

6 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Sounds like she's read "Animal Farm:"

"All animals Christians are equal, but some animals Christians are more equal than others."

Having recently departed more than fifteen years of evangelicalism for more scholarly (and traditional) Christianity, I'd say that this is kind of the underlying theme for that belief system.

10 hours ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

If you pray that your team (or your candidate) wins, then in essence you are praying that the other team loses. ipso facto.
 She prayed that the winds go elsewhere, they went elsewhere.  What she should have done is pray that the winds die down and nobody would have gotten hurt...if you believe in that sort of thing.  Of course fundies are not too comfortable with logic and sense.

I wonder how triumphant she felt once she heard what happened.

She prayed for it to go to an unpopulated area--not just elsewhere. As Singsingsing said above, the article is ignoring an important detail.  Someone else rightly noted that the woman's prayer was not granted.  The wind hit populated areas, so her prayer was not effective.

As for NPR's suggestion that she should have prayed for the winds to dissipate, sometimes acts of nature/of God are so overwhelming that you can't imagine stopping them, you just hope to avoid them.  

She is a self-deluded kook, but she did seem to care about other people . . .  It's just that she wants to believe God listened to her, so she conveniently forgets that He didn't send the storm to unpopulated places.  Agree that it is crazy.

The whole "God gave us authority over the winds" just smacks of what we heathen Catholics would call "presumption"... which is one of the seven deadly sins. 

You know what is slightly amusing about this woman's claims? Many years ago, she would've been deemed a witch and hung or torched for saying she has authority over the winds and can control them. It would've been blasphemy to tack on that it is God's doing too. Now it's nothing to announce to the world that will pay attention that you, alone, are responsible for guiding a unstoppable force of nature like a tornado away from your home to "unpopulated areas".  Oh, how times have changed.

Now I'm going to watch The Grail. I can't get the  "We have found a witch! May we burn her?!" sequence out of my head.

One thing I believe-- if you can avoid being interviewed about anything you are not promoting or a spokesperson for, you should avoid it. 

Oh dear!  That is just awful! 

This is kind of like the whole "prayer warrior" thing to me.  Why would God save one small child because all the super special church ladies are praying for them but then let another suffer?  

Pray gives  people comfort, but to go on air live to the world and say what she is saying is ass hattery insentive.

Couldn't God stop it? Maybe I should ask him to redirect my current staph infection to her? Then she would look as bad as she is as a person!

5 minutes ago, lawlifelgbt said:

Couldn't God stop it? Maybe I should ask him to redirect my current staph infection to her? Then she would look as bad as she is as a person!

why would god destroy what he made?

2 minutes ago, doggie said:

why would god destroy what he made?

The tornado, you mean? I just sometimes wonder what God is thinking. Shouldn't more bad things happen to bigots than usually does?

Archived