IGNORED

TLC's New Bible Bowl Freakshow

goldfishgoddess

1 hour ago, sockinshoe said:

They're odd for sure, but I found them kind of endearingly odd. I certainly preferred them to Noah and Grace, who seemed totally cynical and only interested in winning.

I couldn't bear all two hours, so I didn't get to the endearing part. The parents seemed odd too, without a trace of anything endearing. I found the short haired girl in a wheelchair endearing, never did hear what church she was from, couldn't be too fundy.

4 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I couldn't bear all two hours, so I didn't get to the endearing part. The parents seemed odd too, without a trace of anything endearing. I found the short haired girl in a wheelchair endearing, never did hear what church she was from, couldn't be too fundy.

I saw her and her brother. I don't think they are Fundie. I think their mother was wearing pants. 

Noah and Grace were semi-sociopaths.  Grace staring down and trying to un-nerve the competition seemed almost.. ungodly. :) 

I have to admit I'm kind of curious. I don't know anyone who participated but it's apparently a big deal in Church of Christ circles. 

I had friends in high school that did bible bowl. If I remember correctly they were Assemblies of God. They would travel somewhere every year for a big competition. I think one year they went to Philadelphia.

2 hours ago, goldfishgoddess said:

Did anyone see the trainer/ coach with a kid parked up against a wall, "programming" her to want to win?  I can't imagine how emotionally abusive or scary that would be to a girl who is trained to be subservient.

it's all so perverse.. OCD...in an abusive way.  These kids are going to grow up muttering "text" under their breaths, unable to think.

That may be the goal,...

Did anyone see the trainer/ coach with a kid parked up against a wall, "programming" her to want to win?  I can't imagine how emotionally abusive or scary that would be to a girl who is trained to be subservient.

it's all so perverse.. OCD...in an abusive way.  These kids are going to grow up muttering "text" under their breaths, unable to think.

I was a debater in high school, and a rather good one too so I got to go to a ton of tournaments. I was extremely driven to do well, and, even so, felt nervous and jittery before almost every single round I ever debated. My coaches would never have gotten up in my space during my nervous moments. They let me pace and move about freely and mutter to myself. Heck, my male coach, to whom I was quite close especially later on, never even hugged me until I won a pretty major tournament in my final year of high school (it was my last ever tournament, so I went out on a high note).

On December 29, 2015 at 5:03 PM, SilverBeach said:

Yes

bible_girls.jpg

When you guys mentioned orange girls I pictured fake tan orange girls. The middle girl looks catatonic and the one on the right looks like she is about to use her telekinetic powers to stop her sister's heart. 

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party, I finally watched the first half of the show so far. I thought it was interesting that Noah's dream was to be on Broadway. He even writes his song biblical songs. I was surprised that his sister Grace was allowed a hair cut that short. Steve Maxwell would mistake her for a boy. The orange wearing sisters had to do their own fundraising to get to the bowl. For a month, they sell their knitting at the local farmers market. I was surprised that they were allowed to wear pants. Later they were wearing skirts. What's with the father's on this show/in the audience having long beards? They remind me of ZZ Top or Father Time. If the children are studying 7 hours a day for the bible bee when are they studying for school? It seems like there is always one sibling that is carrying the team.

I decided to do some research on this bowl and discovered the following:

Bible Bowl is a quick recall program started in 1963 where students compete over their knowledge of scripture.  A selected book or books of the Bible is determined as the text that season.  A team competes against another team over a selected segment of the text in a 14-minute game; the team with the most points at the end of the game wins!

The quizmaster reads questions (referred to as “toss-ups”) to the players.  The first player buzz in and answer correctly gets a series of “bonus” questions for that player’s team to answer together.  This pattern of toss-up followed by bonus is repeated throughout the game.

A toss-up is comprised of a lead-in sentence to help the players anticipate the Bible verse from which the question will come, followed by the question itself.  This format of lead-in followed by question allows students to be challenged in a fun and unique way to recall the verses they have learned.

Most bonus questions will require a word or phrase answer, while more challenging bonuses may require a perfectly quoted “memory verse” from the text.

A team is comprised of up to four players in either 3rd through 5th grade for Beginner Bible Bowl or 6th through 12th grade for Teen Bible Bowl.  A team sponsor (a parent or other adult) will have practices with his or her team weekly in order to guide the students in their weekly reading and studying habits.  During the game itself, a quizmaster will lead the game by reading the questions to the players, while the team sponsor will either keep score or keep time.

http://home.biblebowl.org/

It's available for purchase for $1.99 if anyone is interested:

I hope TLC does another special. Disneyland?

I am thrilled to be announcing the details of the 2016 National Bible Bowl Tournament, to be held July 11-14 in Anaheim, California.

I had no clue that you had to bring your own quizmaster and buzzer board with you. I guess it is to bring costs down. Just found it interesting.

Checklist

• A working buzzer board with a 3 second light and clearly marked contact information
  • At least 1 quizmaster per church/organization

For those flying, we strongly suggest carrying the buzzer board on the plane as a carry-on.  TSA may ask you to demonstrate how the board functions at security.

My younger siblings are very involved in Bible Quiz through Assemblies of God. They actually had a big meet this morning.

One thing that bothers me is that they can quote a lot of scripture but they know nothing about the Bible. They don't know how the NT was compiled, who likely wrote the books they're studying, how the Bible has been passed down and translated into what we have today, etc. I just feel like they're getting a really narrow view of the Bible.

Archived