IGNORED

TLC's New Bible Bowl Freakshow

goldfishgoddess

So maybe TLC thinks the Duggars are on their way out.. they've cooked up a new freakshow called "Bible Bowl."  I'm watching it now and the characters on the show are even weirder than the Duggars.

Anyone else watching it?

I have flipped back to it a couple times. I was wondering if we would see the Pecan Thief or other fun fundies. I assume this is the same Bible Bee they attend.

The orange girls family is really odd. They seem very, very fundy. Why was the one girl running in the back of the room?

Also what is up with the narrator's voice? It's seems like a very bad southern accent.

I saw the orange family.. long jeans skirts, matchy-matchy orange shirts, and super tight braided hair.  I was struck by the fact the orange girls seemed "odd" and had a hard time putting a sentence together, and that one girl was running laps in the back.    I suppose the tap dancing fundie might have appeared even more strange.

What kept running through my mind was that a high percentage of these Bible Bowlers must be autistic savants or have Asperger's with splinter skills. So many came off as socially odd.

It was also bizarre watching them praying beforehand, since you'd think Jesus would want them to do something more meaningful with their lives than memorizing tiny snippets of what they called, "text."

59 minutes ago, goldfishgoddess said:

So maybe TLC thinks the Duggars are on their way out.. they've cooked up a new freakshow called "Bible Bowl."  I'm watching it now and the characters on the show are even weirder than the Duggars.

Anyone else watching it?

We were commenting on it in chat.   You should have stopped by!

53 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I have flipped back to it a couple times. I was wondering if we would see the Pecan Thief or other fun fundies. I assume this is the same Bible Bee they attend.

The orange girls family is really odd. They seem very, very fundy. Why was the one girl running in the back of the room?

Also what is up with the narrator's voice? It's seems like a very bad southern accent.

They were also furious knitters.   Every kid on the show seemed amped up on something.

looks like TLC found yet another show that showcases child abuse.  I haven't watched it, but in one of the promos I heard a kid talking about having food withheld as motivation or possibly punishment. 

Oh my god... I grew up with kids that did Bible Bowl.  I would say the promo I just watched accurately reflects the insanity of the various families I knew. Although, Bible Bowl families aren't as intense as Scripp's Spelling Bee families, in my experience anyway.  I should bother my brother for some details, I think he did Bible Bowl for a while.

What in the everlasting fuck am I watching right now?

Hubby's reaction to us sitting here watching this: "We are losers." Then he wanted to know if I could do that since I went to a Christian college. Uhhhhh nope babe. 

That one kid talks so fast! 

How much would people like to bet that the "new Duggars" will be found via this show in the same way that Honey Boo Boo was found via Toddlers and Tiaras?

My kid sibs did Bible Bowl one year but they got scared off by the way that everyone involved with the competition had zero chill. But then I'd be on edge too if I hadn't eaten in two days because I hadn't memorized the complete book of Habakkuk.

I just watched a promo and, What the holy mother fuck? Why do I keep subjecting myself to this madness? Lol. And what's worse is I can't even dull the pain coz we are outta grape juice. 

I watched the promo.  Noticed several girls in shorts running up the steps and hugging friends. What is the supposed purpose of the rapid fire memorized verses? Can they say the verses at a normal speed or is this their main trick-- are they judged on how fast they can spew the bible?  (I never admired the debate style that was just that rapid fire memorization, vs using actual oratory skills during the argument)

Unless it is watchable on the TLC site, I won't likely see it. 

4 hours ago, salex said:

I watched the promo.  Noticed several girls in shorts running up the steps and hugging friends. What is the supposed purpose of the rapid fire memorized verses? Can they say the verses at a normal speed or is this their main trick-- are they judged on how fast they can spew the bible?  (I never admired the debate style that was just that rapid fire memorization, vs using actual oratory skills during the argument)

Unless it is watchable on the TLC site, I won't likely see it. 

4 hours ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

I missed this gem, but now I'm intrigued. Is this the same sort of thing as a Bible Bee?

Here is a link.. honestly it's pretty scary!
http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/tlc-presents/bible-bowl/

I have to admit I'm kind of curious. I don't know anyone who participated but it's apparently a big deal in Church of Christ circles. 

17 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

...snip

The Bible Bowl is different from the Bible bee. I think the biggest difference is the bowl is teams and Bee is individuals.

As a child I had to go to my Aunt & Uncle's Children's 'Club' - they are Fundie-Lite and my Mum was brought up that way but was shunned for marrying an evil Methodist :shock: (they weren't allowed to get married in her Church).

One of the big things was learning verses out of the Bible - the KJV of course.  I always found it deathly boring but I kind of get the idea of learning Scripture - as a Christian it is useful to know what the Bible says (at least the gist if not word for word) but I really don't get the speed.

What is the benefit of being able to say a verse so fast that nobody really can tell what you are saying?  Surely that kind of defeats the object of the whole thing.

Bible Bee (not this Bible Bowl) is a different thing--the Pecan King  was once a judge, and the Bontrager Family seems to get a couple of kids in at last the semi-finals every year.

The Bible Bee prizes are pretty damn serious too.  1st prize in the primary school division is $25,000.  1st prize in the senior high school division is $100,000 and 2nd place is $25,000.

$100,000 will buy you one hell of a lot of denim skirts and polo shirts!!

http://www.biblebee.org/

20 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said: The orange girls family is really odd. They seem very, very fundy.

Yes

bible_girls.thumb.jpg.152cea9844143bb0d63fbb6d82e12286.jpg

They're odd for sure, but I found them kind of endearingly odd. I certainly preferred them to Noah and Grace, who seemed totally cynical and only interested in winning.

Did anyone see the trainer/ coach with a kid parked up against a wall, "programming" her to want to win?  I can't imagine how emotionally abusive or scary that would be to a girl who is trained to be subservient.

it's all so perverse.. OCD...in an abusive way.  These kids are going to grow up muttering "text" under their breaths, unable to think.

Archived