IGNORED

Amy Jordan Duggar Jordan Duggar King Duggar Wedding Part 3 AKA Amy and Dillon King

Coconut Flan

On 4/14/2016 at 1:26 PM, Fundie Bunny said:

A 3 day stay at a hospital 52 thousand dollars? What the actual fuck? I knew the american system was kinda fucked up, but this is just insane

it really depends on why you're there.  i haven't read this thread in a few days, but i think someone said he had a rod placed in his leg?  that would be rather extensive surgery and quite expensive.

i had pneumonia in 2009 during the H1N1 outbreak, and was admitted through the ER (referred there from an urgent care facility).  i spent just over 2 days, and my bill was only about $8K.  the room itself was $50/hr, then respiratory therapy, 2 sets of chest xrays, ER services;  IV, and a whole lot of antibiotics.  but i had no invasive procedures, so it wasn't as high as it could have been.  at the time, i had a copay plan, so my portion was only $500 (then i had copays for the urgent-care, ambulance, scrips, and followup appts that added up to another $300 or so).  as of May 1, my employer is shifting over to high deductible, so the same bill now would cost me about $2400 for just the hospital; my annual out-of-pocket max is $3k, so i'd probably hit that with the related costs.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Some large group insurance policies have had out of pocket maximums for decades.  There was not much standard about health insurance until ACA. 

Yep...the OOP max doesn't seem to have anything to do with ACA. At least not to me. We've had one for a long time. And I know my parents have had it with their policies since before I was an adult.

Yeah, it's probably just temporary. But I felt like being the fancy potato for a while. :)

Oh man, I've been reading this thread for the last couple of days. Hearing about all the insurance details is overwhelming to me, I don't know how you guys do it (I'm in Canada so our system is obviously quite different). 

My son gets weekly speech therapy at $300ish a pop. Good times, good times. (And he still doesn't talk.)

23 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

My son gets weekly speech therapy at $300ish a pop. Good times, good times. (And he still doesn't talk.)

Ouch. I didn't want to put a like on it, and a down button wOuldn't be right either. I feel fOr you. Stupid. caps appear for no reason.

@Fundie Bunny- we just paid the bill for my ER visit this February. Cost was over $5,000.00 for spending the morning there for a miscarriage. No D & C needed - just bloodwork, a pelvic exam, and a shot of medicine in case it was caused by RH factor. 

We only had to pay about $1300.00 of that total... But talk about adding insult to injury!

So I can't hate on the Kings too much for this. I have no clue what their Insurance situation is like or whether there's a legal battle going on over who should be paying. 

When my oldest son had open heart surgery in 2002 his hospital bill was 80,000.00.  This was only for the hospital portion.  My youngest son spent 13 days in the NICU in 2008 and that bill was somewhere in the 30,000.00 area.   

I read that medical bills are the leading cause of bankruptcy here, :shakehead: That is truly sad.

7 hours ago, Elvis Presby said:

When my oldest son had open heart surgery in 2002 his hospital bill was 80,000.00.  This was only for the hospital portion.  My youngest son spent 13 days in the NICU in 2008 and that bill was somewhere in the 30,000.00 area.   

I had an elective EP study and cardiac ablation in January 2015 and the insurance was billed something like $70,000 (though as is often the case I'm sure they paid much less). I was very, very lucky to have coverage and only be responsible for something like $850. It is insane what unforeseen medical emergencies can cost for the uninsured -- and even for the insured with high OOP costs. I hope your kids are doing well now.

5 hours ago, withaj said:

I had an elective EP study and cardiac ablation in January 2015 and the insurance was billed something like $70,000 (though as is often the case I'm sure they paid much less). I was very, very lucky to have coverage and only be responsible for something like $850. It is insane what unforeseen medical emergencies can cost for the uninsured -- and even for the insured with high OOP costs. I hope your kids are doing well now.

We did have coverage, and I didn't mean to sound like we were uninsured (if I did).  The heart surgery, although more expensive actually cost less OOP (different plan).  The NICU experience was much more costly.  IIRC, we paid 20% after the insurance discount and our deductible.  Besides his hospital bill we also had mine (emergency c-section) as well as his apnea monitor and hospital grade breast pump since he couldn't nurse for a while.  We just made monthly payments and eventually everything was paid.

The boys are both great now.  They do have chronic conditions, but for right now we are having no major issues.  :tw_grin:

I hope your ablation was a success and you are in rhythm now.

Hubby had obstructive kidney stones in 2011.  ER admit the night before for lithotripsy (blasting them with ultrasound) the following morning, procedure and meds  $38,000. Uninsured at the time. Medicaid back-paid it, thankfully!  He's now VERY careful about his diet and exercise to keep any further stones at bay.

ER trip for me just back in Feb.  Fell ice skating and cracked my head open.  Just moved to a new state so no insurance. Ambulance (called by the rink, not by me!) is $480, cervical collar, head and neck CT plus ER doc and radiologist fees. My payment portion after they applied an uninsured discount is $1,300, down from almost $8,000.  I can't complain and there's a possibility Medicaid will back-pay that too.  The healthcare system here in the U.S. is rough sometimes.

Wow as much as it has it's issues.  Reading this makes me so grateful for the NHS!  I'd probably be bankrupt already after two children and  maxillofacial surgery to correct an underbite. 

I think the moral of the story here, is to never ever go without health insurance if you live in the  US!    I think a lot of you that are on a national health plan would be shocked if you could see your own health bills.   That stuff is expensive!!   (I do feel for those who can't afford it,  that's a tough situation).  

2 hours ago, Timetostoplurking said:

I think the moral of the story here, is to never ever go without health insurance if you live in the  US!    I think a lot of you that are on a national health plan would be shocked if you could see your own health bills.   That stuff is expensive!!   (I do feel for those who can't afford it,  that's a tough situation).  

Can't think of anyone that could afford it would choose not too--unfortunatley, for a good portion of the middle class it IS cost prohibitive.  That's including Obamacare.

BigBOOM cost us around 25,000 to be born. (Complications) around 9,000 in Nicu bills and around 1,200 in therapy a month. Kid is lucky I love him so much and we have amazing insurance.

23 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Hubby had obstructive kidney stones in 2011.  ER admit the night before for lithotripsy (blasting them with ultrasound) the following morning, procedure and meds  $38,000. Uninsured at the time. Medicaid back-paid it, thankfully!  He's now VERY careful about his diet and exercise to keep any further stones at bay.

ER trip for me just back in Feb.  Fell ice skating and cracked my head open.  Just moved to a new state so no insurance. Ambulance (called by the rink, not by me!) is $480, cervical collar, head and neck CT plus ER doc and radiologist fees. My payment portion after they applied an uninsured discount is $1,300, down from almost $8,000.  I can't complain and there's a possibility Medicaid will back-pay that too.  The healthcare system here in the U.S. is rough sometimes.

My CT last year cost me around $1500. And I DO have insurance. That's is what we had to pay out of our own pocket. So strange that someone without insurance pays less. It seems like it would be the other way around or something.

On 26/04/2016 at 0:43 PM, Apricot said:

Wow as much as it has it's issues.  Reading this makes me so grateful for the NHS!  I'd probably be bankrupt already after two children and  maxillofacial surgery to correct an underbite. 

I 100% agree with this, I'd love to live in the US but with my myriad of health issues I just couldn't afford the treatment that the NHS supplies me with for free.. What the tories are trying to do to the NHS is just criminal.

Did anyone see Mrs. King's (Amy's) post on instagram this morning saying/implying that she was in California filming?

My nephew was in the NICU and they did a new procedure on him. He was a million dollar baby ($1.2 million actually). The health insurance company covered it fortunately but his medical bills were astronomical. 

3 hours ago, RabbitKM said:

Did anyone see Mrs. King's (Amy's) post on instagram this morning saying/implying that she was in California filming?

TMZ interview?

13 hours ago, Buzzard said:

TMZ interview?

jessa sort made tmz - they used her recent quote from us magazine about being different 

does that count? :D

but I haven't seen Amy on TMZ

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived