IGNORED

What are you Reading (Part 2)?

keen23

Oh goodness, I've finished so many since my last post lol On book 46/200 for my Goodreads goal:

On the Come Up
Geekerella
Quiver of Cobras
Scythe
Thunderhead
The Kiss Thief
Love, Lucy
Bright Side
Every Single Secret
The Perfect Couple
Dry
The Casquette Girls
The Good Nurse
My Squirrel Days
Two Can Keep a Secret
When the Lights Go Out
Love & Luck

And now reading Sawkill Girls

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Currently:  An American Marriage by Tayari Jones.   Excellent read.

• Upvote 3

I just finished reading The Burning Bed by Faith McNulty, which I read years ago but forgot most of.  I'm about to start The Mormon Murders, I can not remember the author's name.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I hope to start reading The Girl With The Lower Back Tattoo by Any Schumer later today. Has anyone else read it? 

I hate that I'm not reading as much as I would like. I have my Goodreads goal for 20 books this year, here is hoping I can do it. 

• Upvote 2

I really should update my reads in here more often:

Sawkill Girls
The Belles
Everlasting Rose
Warrior of the Wild
PS I Love You
Truly Devious
A Dangerous Collaboration
Love & Gelato
Save a Truck, Ride a Redneck (read for science lol)
The Master Magician
The Plastic Magician
Infinity + One
Changeling
Tear Me Apart
The Fever King
Renegades
Five Feet Apart
Archenemies
My Sister, the Serial Killer
The Other Einstein
Birthday Girl
Daisy Jones & the Six
Girls With Sharp Sticks
Half-Blood Dragon
The Wedding Date
Magic-Born Dragon
99 Percent Mine

And currently reading His Majesty's Dragon

• Upvote 2

Since last update:  As planned, I listened to Gretchen Rubin's "The Four Tendencies" (very insightful and helped me make sense of some things), Susan Orlean's "The Library Book" (fantastic, blend of the story of the Los Angeles library fire of 1986 and the history of the library overall) and Michelle Obama's "Becoming".

Then I went for "Don't Go" by Lisa Scottoline.  Enjoyed it as I knew I would.

Then I listened to J.D. Vance's "Hillbilly Elegy", which had been described to me as similar to "Educated" or "The Glass Castle" but more right-wing and judgy.  I found that described it perfectly.  It was right on the line between worth finishing and not, but I did finish it.

Next was a really oddly written book called "Goodbye, Things" by Fumio Sasaki.  I generally can find inspiration out of any kind of declutter or minimalist book, but this one really pushed that limit for me.  Some of the awkwardness may have been cultural or language issues with translation.  Mostly though, I think this guy just expresses himself awkwardly but still wanted his piece of Marie Kondo's pie.

Then between mid-February and late March I was sick most of the time, and while for some people being sick is a time when they can read more than usual, for me with audiobooks it's the opposite, since I listen while on the treadmill or while working in the yard.  During that time I managed just a few books:   Alison Green's "Ask a Manager" and Lisa Scottoline's "Everywhere That Mary Went."

Now I am listening to a completely fascinating and well-written book of historical fiction about the invention of the light bulb, the development of the electric grid (which involved the need to choose either AC or DC current), and the lawsuits, feuds and alliances between George Westinghouse and Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla.  I'm about halfway through and loving it!  It's called "The Last Days of Night" by Graham Moore.  Highly recommended to anyone who finds the subject interesting.

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

Michelle Obama's "Becoming"

I haven't been keeping track of what I've read lately, but I think this was my most recent "grown up" book. I've mostly been reading my kids' books, so YA fantasy and Beverly Cleary. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

34 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I haven't been keeping track of what I've read lately, but I think this was my most recent "grown up" book. I've mostly been reading my kids' books, so YA fantasy and Beverly Cleary. :pb_lol:

You picked a good one!

I used to feel guilty that "literature" and classics aren't my thing.  But then I decided to just enjoy what I enjoy, and if that often means three cozy mysteries to every non-fiction book, so be it!

PS I :big-heart:Beverly Cleary!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

11 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

You picked a good one!

I used to feel guilty that "literature" and classics aren't my thing.  But then I decided to just enjoy what I enjoy, and if that often means three cozy mysteries to every non-fiction book, so be it!

PS I :big-heart:Beverly Cleary!

My husband actually bought "Becoming" on our family Kindle account, then told me after the fact. I wanted to read it, but I didn't actually tell him that. (I think. Some days blur together. :pb_wink: ) He done good!

The Beverly Cleary was Ramona Quimby, Age 8, that my younger kid got as a gift. I was glancing at it, then realized that I probably never read it. Of course, that meant I needed to read it right away! I read lots of Beverly Cleary books from the library back when, and I started buying copies for myself when I was in my late 20s. Somehow I missed this exact Ramona book, though.

I'm not usually inclined to make myself read books that I'm not into. I have piles of books here and there that I just can't seem to get into, but if I'm interested, I plow through a book rapidly. Give me the newest J.A. Jance or Lindsey Davis book, and I'm in another world until it's gone. If I'm not as interested, the book keeps getting set aside. I have no discipline. :kitty-wink:

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

The Beverly Cleary was Ramona Quimby, Age 8,

I just found my 35 year old daughter's original copy from her childhood.  I am amazed I still have it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

Currently reading "One Nation Under God: How Corporate America Invented Christian America".

Fascinating. And disturbing. And enraging.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

On 2/10/2019 at 6:31 PM, Kailash said:

I’m a huge Sue Grafton fan. It’s probably time to re read the whole series again. I love Kinsey and miss her when I “stay away” from her too long. It’s to the point that I may have to write the final Z book for closure. 

I've been reading the Sue Grafton alphabet series again, currently through "G." 

Last time I was at the library I picked up another Sue Grafton book called "Kinsey and Me."  This is really worth a read if you are a fan of Grafton and her main character, Kinsey Millhone.  The first chapters of the book star Kinsey and wrap up a mystery per chapter.  Loads of fun seeing Kinsey in action again.

The second half of the book is based on Grafton's life as a child and young woman raised by alcoholic parents.  It's auto-biographical, but the names have been changed (Grafton is dubbed "Kit").  This part of the book shows a slightly different side of Grafton's writing.  I thought it was brilliant, thought-provoking, and gives some insight into the character that is Kinsey.  Obviously, the subject matter is tough, but I was rooting for "Kit" to escape her difficult upbringing and make something of herself.  Which, of course, she did.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

Since finishing "The Last Days of Night" by Graham Moore, which may well go down as one of my favorite books ever, here's what I've read (listened to).

"Cozy" by Isabel Gillies.  I found her definition of, and focus on, cozy to be ridiculously stupid, yet somehow there was enough overall 'aha' food for thought/insight in general that I enjoyed the book and stuck with it.

"A Monk's Guide to a Clean House and Mind" by Shoukei Matsumoto.  My reaction to this book was almost identical to my reaction to "Cozy".

Then I listened to "Escape", Carolyn Jessop's tale of leaving the FLDS.  Fascinating as I knew it would be.

Followed that with her sequel, "Triumph".  Not as interesting nor as well-written (lots of stuff repeated, not just from the earlier book but repeated multiple times in this book.  Just needed a bit more editing to pare away that stuff).  But she had more background information that wasn't in the first book, plus updates on things happening after the first book was published, and that was good reading.

Next up was "The Sociopath Next Door" by Martha Stout.  Not pleasure reading, more textbooky, but the topic is of interest to me so I found it valuable.

Then "On What Grounds" by Cleo Coyle.  First in a series of coffeehouse-based cozy mysteries.  Loved it and will be reading the rest of the series!

Next was "The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to be a Better Husband" by David Finch.  Quirky and honest and relatable.  Loved this too!

Next I remembered how much I had enjoyed Walter Isaacson's detailed biography of Steve Jobs last year, so I thought I'd try his book on Leonardo Da Vinci.  Well, not for me, at least not at this point in time.  I got through the first hour or two of the audiobook and it just wasn't holding my attention.  I might pick it up again later, or maybe try his book on Albert Einstein instead.

Then I began my Kinsey Millhone adventures:  Got through "A" and "B", currently listening to "C".  My reaction to them so far is "meh" -- not finding the stories super interesting, though the characters are pretty compelling.  Enjoying them just enough to keep going.  I do think I'll become more fond of them as time goes on.

In the meantime my garden is taking shape (I mostly listen to audiobooks while out in my yard).  And I'm on the Overdrive waiting list for lots of tasty books upcoming!  (including the next Louise Penny, "A Better Man", which comes out in August!)

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I just finished reading The Last Hours by Minette Walters. I'm not sure I feel the need to read the second book- has anyone read it?

I'm currently reading Dead Wake (about the sinking of the Lusitania) by Erik Larson. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, clueliss said:

I've read Dead Wake - really good.

I like his style of writing. Isaac’s Storm was really good too.

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...

Geeked up again...reading Go, Flight by Rick Houston and Milt Heflin. It's a history of flight control from Mercury to Apollo and beyond told by the flight controllers themselves. 

• Upvote 3

I just started To Sleep With The Angels, about the Our Lady of The Angels School fire in Chicago in 1958.  Very sobering.

ETA:  Journey member Jonathan Cain was a student at the time(he escaped safely).

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 4

I recently finished In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick. It's a pretty gruesome story about the sinking of the whaleship Essex in 1820. The ship was rammed and sunk by a whale in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, leaving the crew adrift for more than 90 days. The incident inspired Moby Dick

• Upvote 4

Nathaniel Philbrick is such a good author.  I went through a time period where I read several books on exploration of the Pacific, and his was one of the best. 

Tony Horwitz* is another favorite author and wrote Blue Latitudes, an easy read tracing the route of Captain Cook.

*RIP, Tony Horwitz.  In looking up this book, I see he passed away last month.  He was my age!  ?

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1

I'm rereading The Frame Up by Meghan Scott Molin. It's a fun geeky mystery about a female comic book writer who gets pulled into an investigation as a consultant when someone decides to play vigilante and copy a comic book superhero. She has a meet cute with the detective on the case and he uses her as a consultant. It has a ton of nerd culture references and the romance is somewhat Hallmark movie-ish, but it's a really fun read. A sequel comes out in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to reading it too. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished Gerald Durrell's Corfu trilogy, which I recommend.  Such beautiful writing, even if you're not especially into zoology.  It helped that I love and binge watched the BBC show in advance.

I'm trying for 36 books this year and am halfway there, so on track.  Next up I'm revisiting my childhood with Five Children & It, and The Magic Faraway Tree collection.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

I just finished Gerald Durrell's Corfu trilogy, which I recommend.  Such beautiful writing, even if you're not especially into zoology.  It helped that I love and binge watched the BBC show in advance.

I'm trying for 36 books this year and am halfway there, so on track.  Next up I'm revisiting my childhood with Five Children & It, and The Magic Faraway Tree collection.

I loved the show! I stumbled it on Amazon. It was so pleasant and lovely.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic