IGNORED

What are you Reading (Part 2)?

keen23

The Martian by Andy Weir for a book club. I had seen the movie and really enjoyed it, and so I'm glad the book is just as good! Sometimes I skim because I don't really care about the math/science formulas but the humor is pretty good. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult.  And I have Voyager from the Outlander Series going on audio but I"m questioning my sanity for it.  On that note I would like to thank those here at FJ who have clued me into speeding up the audio recording.  It's making this one more bearable.  

• Upvote 4

On 12/6/2018 at 11:02 AM, Palimpsest said:

I also like Murder Must Advertise.  Again no Harriet, but devastatingly funny and based on Sayers's early years working in the advertising industry.

@Palimpsest - Thank you for the recommendation of Murder Must Advertise.  It kept me enjoyably occupied on a long plane trip recently.  This book is a good reminder that people have been falling for marketing forever. 

I got pretty excited when I saw this quote embedded in the text:

...and went out to keep his date with the one young woman who showed no signs of yielding to him, and what he said or did on that occasion is in no way related to this story.

I did a little research, and this is a reference to Harriet Vane.  It's so much fun when novels subtly cross-reference other ongoing plot lines in other books.

Thanks, again.

• Upvote 5

Finished  I’ll Never Get Out of Here Alive.  I liked it more than I thought I would. It sorta reads like one of his songs. 

Next up I think I'll start Hamilton by Ron Chernow. I'll have to mix in a lighter novel with the dense history.

Edited by onekidanddone
typo
  • Upvote 2

On 1/10/2019 at 4:32 PM, CTRLZero said:

Thank you for the recommendation of Murder Must Advertise. 

You are very welcome!  I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

As for what I have been reading not so very recently - I finally plowed my way through Fundie young girlie's favorite writer, reviewer, and critic's book.  MyLadyBibliophile's epic novel: War of Loyalties. 

Only $0.99 here on Kindle if you want to suffer through it. https://www.amazon.com/War-Loyalties-Folkestone-Files-1/dp/0692970541

It took me 6 weeks to read to the end.  I had to take frequent breaks to read better stuff for my own mental well-being.  However, I was valiant and pursuing.

And then I gave it a 2 star "constructive" review.  I really did intend it to be constructive and not mean.  The kid can write rings around Sarah Maxwell, but that is damning with such faint praise.  I feel sure she could do better - if she gets some criticism not praise.

I want to send MyLadyBibliophile to university.  A real university.  Such potential, but such an inflated opinion of herself and her writing - and such hubris. :(

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

I picked my lighter novel to read along with Hamilton.  I'm reading Madame Sousatzka 

• Upvote 3

Praise Rufus - I finished Voyager - #3 in the Outlander series.  I have no plans to read number 4 since #3 annoyed me.  

• Upvote 5

I've finished reading Miss You by Kate Eberlen. I litreally cried reading some parts of it.

I'm now reading Twilight Whispers by one of my fav authors, Barabra Delinsky. 

• Upvote 4

I just finished Educated by Tara Westover. I'm going to re-read Bear Town by Fredrik Backman so that I can read Us Against You by Fredrik Backman. 

• Upvote 6

I've just started reading Sue Grafton's last alphabet novel, "Y."  It would have been a good idea not to have skipped "W" and "X" because there are references to an incident that greatly affected the main character.  I'll be reading those two books soon to get the whole backstory.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 5

Said this before, but so sad there was no Z. Y was just fine. But I wondered if she had a plan. ?

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan - very good read.

• Upvote 2

I'm on book 25 for the year! Is anyone else doing the Goodreads Challenge? What is your goal? I set mine at 200 this year, read 206 last year

Books I've read in February so far:
Sea Witch by Sarah Henning -- 3.5/5 Stars
Box of Frogs by Helen Harper -- 5/5 Stars
Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty -- 4.5/5 Stars
The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi -- 2.5/5 Stars, but want to reread and rerate

And currently reading Winter in Paradise by Elin Hilderbran

• Upvote 1

my stated goal is 40, my mental goal is 52.  I wanted to allow myself time to read longer books (typically on audio in the car).  

• Upvote 1

On 1/29/2019 at 11:55 PM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I still haven't read past W.

After reading Y, I checked out and read W and X, both good.  After who knows how many years, I made it through the Grafton alphabet!  Now I feel like I need to start all over with A.  ☺️

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

28 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

After reading Y, I checked out and read W and X, both good.  After who knows how many years, I made it through the Grafton alphabet!  Now I feel like I need to start all over with A.  ☺️

I think I'll read (listen to) this series soon.  So many people have said they enjoyed it!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

I think she started as early as the late ‘80s. You will notice in her books there are no cell phones, social media or computers.

The timeline between when each book takes place is often a few months. So if she wrote A to be contemporary the time between A and Y would probably be the later ‘80. 

• I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

5 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

I think she started as early as the late ‘80s. You will notice in her books there are no cell phones, social media or computers.

The timeline between when each book takes place is often a few months. So if she wrote A to be contemporary the time between A and Y would probably be the later ‘80. 

IIRC, she put a note about that in the front of the later books, because she was tired of readers who kept asking her why Kinsey (the protagonist) didn't just use a cell phone, search the internet, use e-mail, etc.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I’m a huge Sue Grafton fan. It’s probably time to re read the whole series again. I love Kinsey and miss her when I “stay away” from her too long. It’s to the point that I may have to write the final Z book for closure. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

Since my last post I finished

Winter in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand -- 5/5 stars -- apparently family drama/saga is my jam these days
Geekerella by Ashley Poston -- 5/5 stars for this reread -- super cute YA Cinderella retelling. Has a comicon and a food truck, what else could you need? lol

And currently reading On the Come Up by Angie Thomas, which is great so far!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Biography of Anne Hutchinson by Eve LaPlante - American Jezebel.

Anne was a 17th century BADASS. ❤️

• Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic