IGNORED

What are you Reading (Part 2)?

keen23

I finally finished The Little Shadows by Marina Endicott. The book kept me company through a very hectic and stressful summer. I cried when I finished it actually. 

Started this one today...Born To Rule: Five Reigning Consorts Granddaughters Of Queen Victoria by Julia P. Gelardi. It might take me a while to finish this one too. 

• Upvote 1

I re-read The Secret Garden. My face hurt from all the smiling I was doing.  Now I want to read everything ever written by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

On 10/3/2018 at 11:58 PM, MarblesMom said:

Breathlessly reading The Expats by Chris Pavone.  I cannot put this book down!  How will it end?!

Did you finish it yet? Did you love it? Inquiring minds need to know!

• Upvote 3

@Kailashoverall, I loved it.  Very fast paced.  The timeline hopping back and forth was a little confusing.

I did not, however, like the ending.

:)

• Thank You 1

@onekidanddone One of the best shows of all time. Compounded by the fact that Baltimore is such an interesting city. 

I just came across this book at a local thrift a few weeks ago! Planning on starting soon. How’d you find it?

Edited by gameofunbeknowns
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, gameofunbeknowns said:

@onekidanddone One of the best shows of all time. Compounded by the fact that Baltimore is such an interesting city. 

I just came across this book at a local thrift a few weeks ago! Planning on starting soon. How’d you find it?

@gameofunbeknowns  I loved it, but I’m biased for anything David Simon and Baltimore. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

On 8/16/2018 at 4:39 PM, onekidanddone said:

All the Pieces Matter: The Inside Story of The Wire

My library had this as ebook. I devoured it, having watched The Wire several times. They’ve gotten oral commentary from almost everyone involved. It’s fabulous.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I'm halfway thru "Go Set A Watchman" by Harper Lee for book club.  I started this a while back, but didn't get into it.  Better the second time around, so far.

Edited by MarblesMom
typo

On 10/6/2018 at 10:30 PM, gameofunbeknowns said:

Walked into my local library and there it was calling my name from the arrivals shelf

Now reading Providence Noir.  Same series as Indian Country Noir, only this time all storylines take place in the city where I was born.  I’m having fun looking up places I used to know. 

• Upvote 2

On 10/6/2018 at 10:51 AM, Kailash said:

I re-read The Secret Garden. My face hurt from all the smiling I was doing.  Now I want to read everything ever written by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

Thanks for the reminder about this book.  It's been years since I read it, but I checked it out and just finished.  ❤️

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stared and finished the audiobook The Polygamists Daughter by Anna Labaron.  Hooked me so much that I kept listening to it via ear buds at work today.  

• Upvote 5

Recent reads:

First We Make the Beast Beautiful - Sarah Wilson

The House of Islam - Ed Husain

The Caliphate - Hugh Kennedy

The Light of the Stars - Adam Frank

Celebration of Discipline - Richard Foster (re-reading for the umpteenth time - my grandmother's copy with her notes)

Fingerprints of the Gods - Graham Hancock

Nourishing Broth - Sally Fallon Morell

Distinctive Beliefs of the Anabaptists - David Burkholder

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Devil's Highway, by Luis Alberto Urrea.  I cannot put it down!  

• Thank You 1

I am not currently reading anything. I need to download a book from the library. I’m going to see if The Devil’s Highway is available. 

Well The Devil’s Highway was not available. I picked Thunderstruck by Erik Larson. 

Y is for Yesterday: Sue Grafton.  I'm liking it so far, but reading it is bittersweet knowing there will never be a Z mystery.

• Sad 2
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Y is for Yesterday: Sue Grafton.  I'm liking it so far, but reading it is bittersweet knowing there will never be a Z mystery.

I often feel as though I knew Sue Grafton in real life, through Kinsey Millhone. Kinsey seems very real to me and I will always be sad that her adventures won’t continue. I had hoped that Sue would finish the series and then start over with A is for Again. *sigh* 

I hope Ms. Grafton is resting in peace. I didn’t know it was possible to miss someone you’d never met so much. 

• Love 2

I finished Thunderstruck. It’s non fiction. The way Erik Larson manages to combine two totally different lives by a relatively small overlap is facinating. I had to keep reminding myself that the events really happened. Interesting and educational in parts. 

• Upvote 1

I did a search but couldn’t find any posts because of how many ‘grace’ posts there are. 

Had anyone read Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood? I’ve watched the series on Netflix and wondered if I should try the book too. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, adidas said:

I did a search but couldn’t find any posts because of how many ‘grace’ posts there are. 

Had anyone read Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood? I’ve watched the series on Netflix and wondered if I should try the book too. 

Loved the book, however the show couldn't keep my interest.  It just felt too slow. 

• Upvote 1

After Tara Westover's Educated, which was fantastic, I listened to Lisa Scottoline's One Perfect Lie, Susannah Cahalan's Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness, and then my annual Halloween Stephen King -- this year I chose The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.  Really liked the last two.  The Scottoline was good, but not great.

Currently listening to Come as You Are: The Surprising New Science That Will Transform Your Sex Life by Emily Nagoski.  Enjoying it.  Learning stuff! ☺️

Up next:  Scottoline's After Anna, Stephen King's newly released Elevation, and The Golden State by Lydia Kiesling -- unknown quality of writing but it's set in my region and I enjoy those no matter how bad the writing!  I'll also be perusing an e-book titled Food Pharmacy: A Guide to Gut Bacteria, Anti-Inflammatory Foods, and Eating for Health.

All while waiting for Louise Penny's new Gamache novel, Kingdom of the Blind, to be released at the end of the month. ?

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I just finished The Quest for Becket's Bones: The Mystery of the Relics of St. Thomas Becket of Canterbury by John R. Butler. It was quite interesting. It has been commonly accepted that Becket's bones were burned during the Dissolution of the Monasteries. But they found bones in the crypt of Canterbury Cathedral in 1888 that are speculated to be Becket's bones while other theories believe his bones are hidden elsewhere in the Cathedral. I think Butler did a good job laying out all the evidence and the various hypotheses about what happened to the bones and explaining about the bones from the crypt. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic