IGNORED

What are you Reading (Part 2)?

keen23

I am two chapters into "What the Hell Did I Just Read: A Novel of Cosmic Horror (John Dies at the End)" by David Wong.

Not my genre, but I am intrigued.

• Upvote 1

I finished The Bat by Jo Nesbø.  (The mystery writer in me is curious as to why you would start a series with the Detective from law enforcement not in their own country).  

• Upvote 3

On 2/20/2018 at 2:05 PM, Carm_88 said:

I finished Sense and Sensibility,

We are puzzling our way through the opening chapters of Sense and Sensibility over in the Book Club forum.  Just in case you (and/or others) want to pop in with some thoughts, comments, flowcharts...

:my_smile:

Big Little Lies was an an amazing book. I liked it more than I thought I would, and so relieved that things seemed to have worked out at the end. Many surprises throughout the book.

Reading Sea Glass by Anita Shreve now. I like it so far. I love the title, because I used to look and collect  sea glass when I lived close to the ocean. 

• Upvote 3

I am struggling through "One Good Mama Bone" by Bren McClain.  I will finish it, but I am not enthralled.

• Upvote 2

I'm confused over where to post this bit because Harry Potter is both a book and a movie but I'm defaulting to here.

The ringer (dot com) has a podcst called Binge Mode (among others).  Binge mode has done Game of Thrones (TV Series) podcasts and on June 11 (hey raptureversary) they are going to begin a Harry Potter related Podcast series.  Wanted to let those here who might be interested know about it.  I believe they'll cover both books and movies.  

I just finished Lilac Girls.   

Martha Hall Kelly's novel is based on the true story of Caroline Ferriday, a New York socialite who brings Polish Ravensbruck survivors to America for treatment, and locates the criminal Dr. Herta Oberheuser.

• Upvote 3

The Color of Water was so good. Someone recommended it in the Rachel Dolezal thread.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

Just finished "I'll Drink to That: A Life in Style, with a Twist" by Betty Halbreich.  Personal memoir of a personal shopper at Bergdorf Goodman.

Really good.

• Upvote 2

Thanks to @Shoobydoo for directing me to Mary Elizabeth Braddon's "Lady Audley's Secret."  I also laughed at the undercurrents between the male characters.  Was that the author's intention?  The book I bought contained two other novels, "Aurora Floyd," and "The Infidel."   I was really intrigued by "The Infidel," since it dealt with early Methodists and some of subjects I think about daily here at FJ. 

Braddon is not a bad author.  She generally kept my interest, and I liked some of the historical tidbits and philosophical considerations going on in these novels.  Thanks, again, @Shoobydoo!

• Upvote 1

I just finished The Lightkeeper's Daughters - Jean E. Pendziwol.  Great story line and moving characters - historical fiction/mystery.  

• Upvote 3

I haven’t bought actual books in months! Very excited to have just purchased Unorthodox and it’s follow-up. Lilac Girls. And, I’ll Drink to That. Thanks for those two @MarblesMom and @LilMissMetaphor. I am going off grid for Memorial Day weekend and need options!

• Upvote 2

I finished Lamentation by CJ Sansom (and there was an historical essay at the end of the audiobook about the historical detail behind the particular time of Henry VIII covered in the novel).  

21 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I haven’t bought actual books in months!

Years, for me. 

The library has an amazing amount of Kindle-friendly books available!  Immediate gratification for wanting a new book and not wanting to leave the house  :)

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

I just finished "This Is Me" by Chrissy Metz.  Worth the read.  Interesting look at her life and how she arrived where she is.

Also makes me want to watch "This Is Us."

• 2 weeks later...

I won this book via GoodReads recently, and I'm trying to read it here and there. It's a small world for me and this author, we both lived in the same p place ( different times ) so I'm excited to read this...

Linden MacIntyre, The Only Cafe.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Saturday Night Widows by Becky Aikman.

Great topic for me.  Great insights into how widows transform themselves into the "next" phase of their lives.  

• Upvote 1

Caught by Harlan Cobin - really good.  And on to True Blue by Baldacci which is meh (and annoying me because you can't just assign a character as female and have it be believable and I'm tired of backstory trips and the continual need to show/tell me what a badass the character is without advancing plot) (both on audio)

• Upvote 1

I finished The Escape Artist by Brad Meltzer last night.  Great read.  Learned a few interesting facts about Houdini in this one.  

Just read The Library at the Edge of the World by Felicity Hayes-McCoy. It takes place in the modern world on a fictional peninsula in Ireland. Had some trouble warming up to the main character but overall enjoyed it. Found out there are two sequels so I will be reading them as soon as I find them. My local Chapters doesn’t have them.

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Botkinetti said:

The Library at the Edge of the World

I read the brief description of this novel at Amazon, and the plot seemed somewhat familiar.  Not long ago, I read a novel by Jenny Colgan titled "The Bookshop on the Corner," which is about a woman who is displaced and starts a mobile library van service.  I can recommend it as good light summer reading.  I'll have to check out your book for poolside reading.

Edited by CTRLZero
clarification
  • Upvote 1

I'm listening to Love in the Time of Cholera. I'm also going to start Morning Star by Pierce Brown at some point! So many books, so little time! :) 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

The Only Cafe was such an intriguing book. It ended with a cliffhanger, so I'm hoping there will be another book as a follow-up. 

This book might take me a while to get through for a few reasons, but I will try to get into it. Keep Sweet, Children Of Polygamy by Debbie Palmer. Once again its a small world.

• Upvote 1

Just finished The Orphan's Tale by Pam Jenoff.   SUCH A GREAT BOOK.  I couldn't put it down.

Bring Kleenex.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic