IGNORED

Fundie Politicans?

thebestusername

Hey I was wondering if you free jingerites knew of any Fundie Politicians. If Jimbob can make it I am excited to see what else is out there in the world.

I think a lot of the far-right politicians are at least lite, but wouldn't use that word.  Mitt Romney's in the "children as a blessing" camp where men rule the house, and his kids were all homeschooled.   Rubio and Cruz strike me as fundies too.  

Can't talk about fundie politicians without mentioning Alyssa (Bates) Webster's father in law Daniel Webster who is a congressman from Florida. 

I think Ted Cruz is firmly in the fundie camp, as is Ben Carson.  I just read a good book** - - see below - - about the influence of fundamentalists in American politics.     I find this stuff very troubling; even though fundies are a minority of the population they seem to have a disproportionate influence on politics because THEY GET OUT AND VOTE!      And they're vocal.  And in many areas of the county, esp at the local level - they're WINNING seats.    

Of course they have the right to do all these things, but they do NOT have the right to expect the rest of us to bend to their interpretation of the Bible - hell, Mike Huckabee even came right out and said he would not enforce actions of the Supreme Court of the United States if their decisions went against his interpretation of God's law.    

* Superchurch: The Rhetoric and Politics of American Fundamentalism      Jonathan J. Edwards     Michigan State University Press, April 2015

5 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Here's a question: Who among the Republican presidential candidates is NOT fundie or fundie light?

Well, he's still terrible, but, Trump's not fundie.

I don't think Bush 3.0 is either

Below is a 2011 article. I can only assume the Christian fundamentalist numbers have increased in the last 5 years. 

Personally, as a Humanist (secular), I don't necessarily endorse this christian site, however; it does provide a general pulse on Christianity in the U.S. 

http://www.christianitytoday.com/gleanings/2011/february/evangelicals-and-tea-party-overlap-in-congress-public.html

Quote..."The Pew study suggests that the mix of religion and the tea party movement in Congress is not an accident: nearly all of those who agreed with Christian conservatives also agreed with the tea party."

*I hope I'm not in error by not breaking this link. My understanding is Free Jinger no longer requires a break?

15 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Here's a question: Who among the Republican presidential candidates is NOT fundie or fundie light?

Chris Christie.  Catholic, pro-life, anti marriage equality, but a fundie couldn't have won governor of NJ twice.

John Kasich, ex-governor of Ohio and currently sitting at the little kids' table at the GOP prez debates is an Anglican and grew up Catholic.  The Anglican church he's a member of is one of the splinter churches that emerged after the Rev. Gene Robinson, an openly gay, non-celebate priest, was elected Bishop of New Hamphire.  Some dioceses in the church do ordain women although they cannot be elevated to the Bishopric. The Anglican Church in North America is NOT recognized at part of the Anglican Communion.  Kasich is a bit more moderate on some issues than are most of the other GOP candidates.  For instance, he thinks that Kim Davis should just do her job.

11 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

John Kasich, ex-governor of Ohio and currently sitting at the little kids' table at the GOP prez debates is an Anglican and grew up Catholic.  The Anglican church he's a member of is one of the splinter churches that emerged after the Rev. Gene Robinson, an openly gay, non-celebate priest, was elected Bishop of New Hamphire.  Some dioceses in the church do ordain women although they cannot be elevated to the Bishopric. The Anglican Church in North America is NOT recognized at part of the Anglican Communion.  Kasich is a bit more moderate on some issues than are most of the other GOP candidates.  For instance, he thinks that Kim Davis should just do her job.

I'm an Ohioan. I openly admit that I did not vote for Kasich in the election that made him governor of Ohio. But I fully acknowledge that he has actually IMHO done a good job governing Ohio (I rarely ever say that about elected officials). He would have probably been the best of the bunch of Republican wannabepresidents.

I also don't consider Jeb Bush a fundie. He also would have been one heck of a lot better than the Republican wannabes that are ahead of him.

Just now, RosyDaisy said:

Every single Republican politician in Alabama.

I feel for you.:my_sad:

Not more than 10 to 15 years ago the movement by the extremely conservative Christians to take over the government started. I remember hearing about it either in a reputable news source online or in a TV program. I was living in uber conservative South Carolina at the time. 

The plan was to move very conservative Christian families to already conservative states, set them up to vote always for the conservative Christians who represented their values and start a takeover of the politics of the state. They would start with local elections like  dog catcher, school board, small town mayor, then work up to state offices like state representatives, and offices  like the state department of education, with sights on being governor and holding national offices.  Actually, it seems like the strategy worked for them. 

Fundies are everywhere. Some of them just don't let their fundie flag fly. 

Here in Iowa we got the stunning Steve King.  He's a first class A hole and very fundie.  Every time that little creep opens his mouth he says something to make everyone in Iowa look like a bunch of backwards low IQ morons.  I cringe whenever he says something because it's almost invariably stupid.  I'm not in his district, he's way over in western Iowa.

And we also now have Ernst as the junior Senator.  She's the one who bragged about cutting off porcine testicles when younger, and thinks the less fortunate should make do with breadbags in place of shoes.  When she got elected I wanted to move out of Iowa so bad.

I understand wanting to leave. I live in Florida, who gave the country Marco Rubio and Daniel Webster (but I'm not in his district at least)

In Kansas let's see there is

former State Attorney General Phil Kline.  (at one time I went to the same church he did and later watched his antics with a WTF head scratch).  Spent time at AG going after 'abortionist' Dr. Tiller (Who was eventually murdered by a nut job).  And there was a whole brouhaha in Johnson County when he was DA over if her really lived in Johnson County  or Topeka.

Governor Brownback - need I say more?

Kris Kobach - who was too far right to overtake then US Rep Dennis Moore in the 3rd district (Wyandotte, Johnson and parts of Douglas and Miami Counties) so the moderate republicans crossed the aisle and voted for Moore.  Currently KS Sec of State.

Not so much a fundie, but this Libertarian candidate in Florida posted this ridiculous job ad recently and it struck me as quite snark worthy (linkage is here http://orlando-politics.com/2015/12/29/augustus-sol-invictus-job-listing-generates-on-line-buzz/):

I need a new assistant immediately. Requirements:
– Cannot be a friend of mine. Familiarity makes for horrible pace and work quality.
– Must be between the ages of 18 and 32. People who are older eventually let surface their repressed resentment at being told what to do by someone younger than them.
– Must be at least semi-attractive, whether male or female. You will be my personal representative, and people will judge me based on your appearance.

– Must be intelligent. This is a fast-paced job demanding independent thought and resourcefulness.
– Must live in Orlando. Long commutes always turn out poorly.
– Must take oaths of loyalty and secrecy. You will be my right hand, with all that implies.

Lol! The bolded stood out in particular. I'm guessing from the very specific age range that he's 33.

13 hours ago, moodygirl86 said:

– Must take oaths of loyalty and secrecy. You will be my right hand, with all that implies.

Hmmm. This really sounds like a scandal waiting to happen

14 hours ago, moodygirl86 said:

Not so much a fundie, but this Libertarian candidate in Florida posted this ridiculous job ad recently and it struck me as quite snark worthy (linkage is here http://orlando-politics.com/2015/12/29/augustus-sol-invictus-job-listing-generates-on-line-buzz/):

I need a new assistant immediately. Requirements:
– Cannot be a friend of mine. Familiarity makes for horrible pace and work quality.
– Must be between the ages of 18 and 32. People who are older eventually let surface their repressed resentment at being told what to do by someone younger than them.
– Must be at least semi-attractive, whether male or female. You will be my personal representative, and people will judge me based on your appearance.

– Must be intelligent. This is a fast-paced job demanding independent thought and resourcefulness.
– Must live in Orlando. Long commutes always turn out poorly.

Lol! The bolded stood out in particular. I'm guessing from the very specific age range that he's 33.

Well, at least he is honest... Very rude, sure. But straightforward. Most other politicians have the same criteria, but they simply don't admit this publicly.

I've looked at his website, while he is pretty eccentric and you could even say crazy, his political positions (stop drug war, pro choice and gay marriage, stop foreign intervention, sound monetary policy, non-aggression principle etc.) are actually quite a lot better than those of most Republicans and Democrats.

Archived