IGNORED

Joe 'n' Carlin Sittin' in a Tree?

sophrosyne

On 12/26/2015 at 1:36 PM, notfundy said:

What is UP with these people and their sideways and backwards baseball caps?  

I think they are trying to look as douchey as possible. Because the only word I can come up with when I see Ben wearing his hat like that is DOUCHEBAG.

On 12/27/2015 at 5:59 PM, justmy2cents said:

I think they do this for pictures.  These were taken when they were visiting the Bates right before Christmas so they probably took some promos for the show.  

Ooh two years ago my husband, twins and I took the perfect fundie family photo for our Christmas cards. I dressed my boys in sweaters they got new just before that, cream colored cable knit. Then I got dressed without thinking in the only sweater I had brought with me (at my parents house out of town), cream colored cable knit. Then we all went down stairs and my husband came down after getting dressed, also in a cream colored cable knit sweater! Totally unintentional. Felt really silly, but somehow those were the only nice clothes we had brought.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/29/2015 at 3:35 PM, FlamingFundie said:

I think kind of matching is cute for couples, like similar color schemes. But the matchy a la JoshNAnna during their courtship where I am convinced she bought a man's polo in a smaller size because they looked EXACTLY the same (or are there fundie stores where you can buy the same stuff??) is weird.

Upon searching for couples' clothing, I came across this gem that I am almost certain we would never see a Duggar in hahahaha

92e61e9948c9eada6427f5e13befc051.jpg

Wow. If I saw a couple wearing those in public, I feel like I would have to fight the urge to punch them both. And I'm, for the most part, a pacifist. 

On 12/29/2015 at 2:35 PM, FlamingFundie said:

I think kind of matching is cute for couples, like similar color schemes. But the matchy a la JoshNAnna during their courtship where I am convinced she bought a man's polo in a smaller size because they looked EXACTLY the same (or are there fundie stores where you can buy the same stuff??) is weird.

Upon searching for couples' clothing, I came across this gem that I am almost certain we would never see a Duggar in hahahaha

92e61e9948c9eada6427f5e13befc051.jpg

The first reason that comes to mind for why we wouldn't see a Duggar wearing these is the words "boyfriend" and "girlfriend" on them. We don't do dating in Duggarland, lol.

About the hats, my grandma was a stickler about manners. Men and boys didn't wear hats and caps indoors. Nope, not in her house.

Coordinated clothing does make for better quality photos. It eliminates the potential for clashing and general busyness that can detract from the final product.

why does everyone get so upset about the how they wear the hats?  I am more bothered by the wearing of hats indoors, than how it is worn. And for the record this is true of all hats, and for men and women.  I think hats indoors looks silly, although I know in some churches,  women typically do wear hats indoors. 

Anyway,  I live in a town that has 2 large colleges, a 2 community colleges.  I see the guys with their hats on backwards all the time.  Hell, even my 60 year old husband turns his hat around sometimes, and trust me, he isn't doing that to look cool, he just prefers to wear it that way sometimes.  Then again,  he rarely wears his hat unless he is working outside, or golfing or going to be in the sun a long time.  He never wears it indoors.  Even if he runs in the house to grab drink of water, the hat comes off, gets rolled up and tucked into his back pocket. 

8 hours ago, TeaGrannie said:

The first reason that comes to mind for why we wouldn't see a Duggar wearing these is the words "boyfriend" and "girlfriend" on them. We don't do dating in Duggarland, lol.

Though the hands on the girls one do make a nice womb-like shape... a Duggar girls womb is definitely someone elses' property... 

On Sunday, December 27, 2015 at 5:57 PM, EmCatlyn said:

The Duggars identify as "Independent Baptists."  I don't know about the Bates. But they seem to feel that the Southern Baptists are okay and will attend services at SBC churches.  I think Jill and Derek were attending a Southern Baptist church around the time of the Josh-gates.

. . .

In the early specials, the Duggars identified as SBC but in the more recent seasons, they identified as IFB.

18 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Coordinated clothing does make for better quality photos. It eliminates the potential for clashing and general busyness that can detract from the final product.

Unless everyone wears the exact same color that happens to be the same color as he background...happened to my family. We look like a bunch of floating heads. :pb_lol:

On 27 December 2015 at 9:12 PM, sophrosyne said:

Backwards baseball cap is a Bin thing too. My recall is that, pre-Bin, the Duggar boys wore their caps with bill to the front.

Good thing the receding hairlines will prevent them getting his haircut, too.

On December 31, 2015 at 11:18 AM, HarryPotterFan said:

Unless everyone wears the exact same color that happens to be the same color as he background...happened to my family. We look like a bunch of floating heads. :pb_lol:

We've always found that 2-3 compatible, core colors and mixing those colors amongst the members being photographed works best. No busy patterns and similar attire like jeans and sweaters or polos...not jeans, a shimmering party dress, a plaid shirt or everyone in the same "uniform"-

On 1/2/2016 at 7:09 PM, SassyPants said:

We've always found that 2-3 compatible, core colors and mixing those colors amongst the members being photographed works best. No busy patterns and similar attire like jeans and sweaters or polos...not jeans, a shimmering party dress, a plaid shirt or everyone in the same "uniform"-

I've seen a lot of these in cranberry/cream/khaki lately. It's a change from the black/white/denim of past years.

On 2 January 2016 at 0:55 PM, Mrs. Figg said:

Oh look. Joe standing behind Carlin.

well I can't seem to do the URL so here's a screenshot.

image.png

I see some pants on girls and knees- NIKE!

3 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Joe and Carlin still seems off. She's so young. I'm not ruling out Tori.

I'm not sure age matters much to the Bates' as getting them out of the house (one less mouth to feed) - I swear Alyssa was 17 when she started courting? 

On 12/31/2015 at 1:18 PM, HarryPotterFan said:

We got a Christmas card like that one time. From that day on, among ourselves, we always jokingly referred to the people in the photo as "the floating head family."

11 hours ago, CorruptionInc. said:

I'm not sure age matters much to the Bates' as getting them out of the house (one less mouth to feed) - I swear Alyssa was 17 when she started courting? 

That's true. I forgot about Alyssa. Jon was her "special friend" until she turned 18, then they officially courted. 

On 12/27/2015 at 2:41 PM, nastyhobbitses said:

I thought that Christmas with my 7 cousins was mayhem. Though now that I sit at the Adults Table and can legally drink, Christmas with a lot of people is so much more pleasant.

I have twice as many first cousins (that live in the state) at Christmas and now that we are all adults and married and having kids its tough finding a house that can fit all of us. But the wine is passed around quite a bit so most people don't mind the close quarters :my_biggrin:

13 hours ago, CorruptionInc. said:

Region has something to do with it. I am 18 in NC and a huge amount of people I went to High school with got engaged at 17/18 and are marrying less than a year after graduation, most are religious but some are not. 

What's odd is 30mi north in VA where I have friends none of them would even think of getting married so young. 

On 12/27/2015 at 11:56 PM, InThePrayerCloset said:

I agree with that in a more general sense, but isn't it more important if its one of the top 2 religious days of the year for you? So even though fundies are together most days of the year, i imagine that Christmas and Easter would be very important given their the pinnacle of their religion?? just asking! Happy to be corrected by those with much more knowledge, :) 

That's what I was wondering too.  

7 hours ago, tumblr said:

Region has something to do with it. I am 18 in NC and a huge amount of people I went to High school with got engaged at 17/18 and are marrying less than a year after graduation, most are religious but some are not. 

What's odd is 30mi north in VA where I have friends none of them would even think of getting married so young. 

On the other side of 18 (I'm 45) everyone I know that married just so they could have sex is divorced. Dumbest reason EVER to get married. 

7 hours ago, tumblr said: Region has something to do with it. I am 18 in NC and a huge amount of people I went to High school with got engaged at 17/18 and are marrying less than a year after graduation, most are religious but some are not. 

On the other side of 18 (I'm 45) everyone I know that married just so they could have sex is divorced. Dumbest reason EVER to get married. 

My first cousin's daughter just got married for exactly that reason. She turned 20 a few weeks ago and this was her 3rd engagement. I asked her why she went with a courthouse wedding when she had asked me to make her a wedding dress the 2 previous times and was told they wanted to live together to save money but couldn't live together without having sex and couldn't have sex without being married so quickie wedding and now she floods FB with posts about TTC and dreaming of her first baby.

53 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

While sex is definitely the biggest reason, number two is one spouse joining the military and the other wanting\needing to be legal family. 

Both seem like a risky choice imo. 

Archived