IGNORED

Christmas Adam

roddma

2 hours ago, FundiesInParis said:

I mean according to the Internet the term only came about around 10 years ago...

We first had an internet based invitation to our Christmas Adam party 11 years ago.... Maybe we are the reason why ;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noone is upset.I never even hinted at that ghees  I could care less what they celebrate, but 'Eve' means evening.And as said above, the Duggars dont likely celebrate  it as a joke or pun.

25 minutes ago, roddma said:

Noone is upset.I never even hinted at that ghees  I could care less what they celebrate, but 'Eve' means evening.And as said above, the Duggars dont likely celebrate  it as a joke or pun.

What do you think the do to celebrate "Christmas Adam"? Some sort of woman hating activities or starting the Christmas celebrations early? Have they said something controversial about "Christmas Adam"? It really seems like a joke

I just never heard of it before and thought the fundies made it up. I get now that it is a joke made by duggars and non-duggars alike. :my_shy: Ya learn something new everyday. 

Maybe they just celebrate things early. IDK. The way they describe it as "Adam came first" does make it sound like they're promoting the whole women-are-second-class-citizens thing again. What on Earth attracts women to fundieism in the first place??

11 hours ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

My family has ALWAYS celebrated Christmas Adam cause it's a fun pun. I don't get why people make such a big deal about this. You're the 10th person this week to get upset because "Eve means evening."

I don't think that anyone's upset.  This is just funny because fundies who area serious about it don't seem to know that the night before isn't Eve for Eve, not for Adam and Eve.  That's the "big deal."

7 hours ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

I get that you don't like the Duggars or anything they do, but I truly doubt that their celebration has anything to do with making women subservient to men. In fact, I suspect that, like my family, their family had the Christmas Adam as a tradition before Josh was even born.

My dad's family has been celebrating Christmas Adam since the 1800s. 

If they didn't see women as second class, they would have protected their daughters from molestation.  Even when there's harm, the male comes first.  I believe that they do this because women are second to men in their world.

1 hour ago, Jingerbread said:

If they didn't see women as second class, they would have protected their daughters from molestation.  Even when there's harm, the male comes first.  I believe that they do this because women are second to men in their world.

Oh for gods sakes. There's a huge difference between molestation and things of that ilk and an extended celebration of Christmas. 

In my neck of the woods, the 23rd of Dec is Tibb's Eve, or Tip's Eve, or Tipsy Eve depending on where you are from.  It originated a long time ago as the first day of Advent that people could drink alcohol.  

41 minutes ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

Oh for gods sakes. There's a huge difference between molestation and things of that ilk and an extended celebration of Christmas. 

What they did with the molestations shows that they really do think women come second to men.  They pretty hard core believe that women are second, and that proved it.  So why do you think that their sincere celebration of Christmas Adam probably doesn't have to do with their beliefs on women coming second when literally everything else they does revolves around women's roles, including being second to men?

3 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

Christmas Adam

Christmas Eve

Christmas Steve. Can fundies get any crazier?

Christmas Steve . . . Is that celebrated Dec. 26 to honor God's creation of "alternative lifestyles"? :56247957a2c7b_32(17):

8 minutes ago, Jingerbread said:

What they did with the molestations shows that they really do think women come second to men.  They pretty hard core believe that women are second, and that proved it.  So why do you think that their sincere celebration of Christmas Adam probably doesn't have to do with their beliefs on women coming second when literally everything else they does revolves around women's roles, including being second to men?

Look, I'm all for being upset about the molestation. But blindly hating everything they do and using it as a means to "prove how awful they are," when also stating that it's only them that these "forms of proof" exist with is not only obnoxious, it's unnecessary.

I also find it insulting because, no matter how much you claim it only applies to them, your decision to hate their tradition just because it "confirms your biases" can be seen as you attacking anyone who has EVER made that joke.

As stated before, my family has celebrated Christmas Adam for centuries. It's a fun family tradition, and the joke is just that -- a joke. I have never heard anyone before this year even suggest that it could be seen as "anti women." It's a play on words, it's a fun joke with ties to the biblical creation story, and there is NOTHING about the tradition that is inherently against women.

Finally, I see NO WAY that this tradition can possibly be anything against women. It's not like they're playing games that attack women, or making jokes at the expense of women, or whatever.

I really think you need to sort out your priorities if THIS is the reason you're getting your panties in a twist. 

So what do people do on Christmas Adam? Any special games or foods?  I understand they would vary from family to family, but I've never heard of it before and would love to know.

48 minutes ago, Imagine20 said:

So what do people do on Christmas Adam? Any special games or foods?  I understand they would vary from family to family, but I've never heard of it before and would love to know.

Before we held our yearly Christmas party (well used to be yearly -- complications with travel stopped last year's from happening, and my grandparents have needed extra care this year which meant huge changes in all traditions), it was just an extra day to have Christmas fun. It was basically Christmas Eve without Santa. 

1 hour ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

Before we held our yearly Christmas party (well used to be yearly -- complications with travel stopped last year's from happening, and my grandparents have needed extra care this year which meant huge changes in all traditions), it was just an extra day to have Christmas fun. It was basically Christmas Eve without Santa. 

It does sound fun and I always felt like so much went into getting ready for Christmas and then it was just a huge scramble to try to squeeze all the family stuff into Christmas Eve and Christmas day.  I thought the phrase or name Christmas Adam sounded odd, but that is likely because 1) I have never heard it before and unfamiliar things often sound odd to people, 2) probably some stuff related to the fact that my Church taught stories from the Bible were largely allegorical and "eve" is an actual word (not just an abbreviation for evening) which means "the night before", so bringing Adam and Eve into the whole thing just seems odd to me personally (not saying it is odd), and 3) as a life long atheist, I never believed in any of it - so that may have an impact, too.  However, despite what it might be called and the fact that I personally think the name is a bit odd, it sounds like a great idea.  I am wondering - did your family do Christmas Adam stuff, Christmas Eve stuff, and then Christmas day stuff?  If so, it sounds pretty great, actually.

In my family, we always had all the before Christmas stuff like parties with school/friends/work, etc. earlier in December.  Then on Christmas Eve we would cram in going to church, neighborhood party with Santa visit, party at home of Aunt and Uncle with tons of people, huge meal, sometimes Santa, huge gift exchange, lots of "merriment", etc.  We would then schlep home exhausted.  Depending on age, you would wind up either in bed or in the basement wrapping presents for eons (and trying to remember which wrapping paper was from Santa after all that "merriment").  Then, we would all haul ourselves out of bed way too early for stockings, christmas breakfast, gifts, clean-up.  We would then make the few hour drive to visit the other side of the family for Christmas dinner, more gifts, etc.  An extra day thrown in there sounds pretty great.

I.. think it sounds like a wonderful  tradition if your family likes tthe time together. It seems like it would definitely make Christmas Eve and Day less stressful. 

(nm the dots after the I.  It wouldn't format without it there.) 

6 hours ago, Imagine20 said:

Maybe there's a giant dick alter they worship since that's so important. 

The power of the penis. 

11 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

Christmas Adam

Christmas Eve

Christmas Steve. Can fundies get any crazier?

The bible says Christmas Adam and Christmas Eve, not Christmas Adam and Christmas Steve! :P

15 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

It's called that because Christmas Adam cums before Christmas Eve and is extremely unsatisfying.

I just got coffee-spit all over my computer screen.

I have never heard of Christmas Adam before. You learn something new every day. FJ, thank you for being my personal SOTDRT:tw_glasses:

This is all new to me!  Never heard any of it, but I thought I should start digging around so I could better understand the history. :)  I was wondering if this was US history or if other cultures have this practice.  Apparently, if my brief Google searching is correct, it appears Dec. 24th was actually set aside for Adam and Eve "feastday" since they have never received 'sainthood' or some other recognition.  This custom appears to be centuries old.  So, from there, it must have split into the 23rd being Christmas Adam.  This is all new information to me, so thank you for inspiring me to do a little research and learn more about this new-to-me holiday/tradition that others have obviously been celebrating for years!

Now, to learn why it was split into two days......that should be interesting! ;) 

This truly is a fascinating hunting trip for me!  So far, I cannot see why the "Adam Eve Feastday" split into two days, but I have this feeling it was due to the "Adam came before Eve" and possibly people maybe even upset at the Orthodox/Catholic history behind the "Feastday".  

This research is helping me to understand why the Christmas tree was decorated, why it was not decorated until Christmas Eve and why there were Christmas Eve plays. ;)  The Christmas plays being about Adam and Eve, the day before the celebration of Jesus makes sense!  I like understanding customs and the symbolism behind them.

Another day of education at the hive of FJ ! :) 

Archived