IGNORED

Christmas Adam

roddma

I think the Duggars mentioned they celebrated Christmas Adam on Dec 23, because Adam came before Eve. 'Eve' is short for evening, not related to religion.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buahahaha, I bet the Duggars think that God made it that way that Eve is short for evening and therefore there has to be a Christmas Adam BEFORE Eve, of course. They don't realize that the English language developped only hundreds of years after the Bible was written. Or JB just came up with that idea because of his male bravado.

:pb_surprised:

I had hoped this was snark run amok, sadly it isn't.  A quick Google search told me it's in their book A Love That Multiplies. 

They really hate women, don't they? Adam came first? WTF?

Plenty of people call the 23rd this. I do. I've most often seen it among secular families that celebrate put of plain tradition. 

In most stories, Adam was indeed made first. 

7 hours ago, roddma said:

I think the Duggars mentioned they celebrated Christmas Adam on Dec 23, because Adam came before Eve. 'Eve' is short for evening, not related to religion.

My family has ALWAYS celebrated Christmas Adam cause it's a fun pun. I don't get why people make such a big deal about this. You're the 10th person this week to get upset because "Eve means evening."

1 hour ago, JMO said:

I can't believe this is a thing. Wtaf

I can't believe that you seem upset by it. It's funny. 

Also, why shouldn't people celebrate it? If it's something they do, let them. It's not hurting anyone. 

I will admit, if other families celebrate "Christmas Adam" I think it is funny, but when the Duggar's do it pisses me off. Probably because to them it's not funny or satirical but another reason to rub it in the face of everyone that women are second class citizens. Everything the Duggar's do turns something good into something sick. "Children are a blessing from the Lord" sounds wonderful coming from non crazy families but when the Duggars say it, I want to either puke or throw a brick at my TV. One family takes the term "blessing" and uses it as a reason to love and cherish children even when children can be difficult , while the Duggar's twist it to mean to have 20 kids even if it means said children are neglected. Same concept. 

6 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Yup Eve means the night before. Do fundies ever stop with their bullcrap? :huh:

This is not just a Fundie thing.  People have been doing Christmas Adam celebrating with no religious connection at all. It starts as a joke based on the pun between Eve  ( wife of Adam) and Eve[ning]. The main thing, though is that people want to call the day before XMas Eve something and start celebrating. (Now that we start preparing for Xmas right after Halloween, folks get impatient for a party.)

Anyway, I don't know if the Duggars know that "eve" just means "evening" in this context, but I fervently hope they do.  The KJV uses "eve" a few times, if I remember correctly, and they supposedly read that version of the bible.

51 minutes ago, crazysnark said:

I will admit, if other families celebrate "Christmas Adam" I think it is funny, but when the Duggar's do it pisses me off. Probably because to them it's not funny or satirical but another reason to rub it in the face of everyone that women are second class citizens. Everything the Duggar's do turns something good into something sick. "Children are a blessing from the Lord" sounds wonderful coming from non crazy families but when the Duggars say it, I want to either puke or throw a brick at my TV. One family takes the term "blessing" and uses it as a reason to love and cherish children even when children can be difficult , while the Duggar's twist it to mean to have 20 kids even if it means said children are neglected. Same concept. 

I get that you don't like the Duggars or anything they do, but I truly doubt that their celebration has anything to do with making women subservient to men. In fact, I suspect that, like my family, their family had the Christmas Adam as a tradition before Josh was even born.

My dad's family has been celebrating Christmas Adam since the 1800s. 

I don't think it's something serious.

I prefer Festivus, it's a Festivus for the rest of us!  Just a short explanation.  I miss Seinfeld. 

635847623711371042-StoryofFestivusArt.jpeg

1 hour ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

I get that you don't like the Duggars or anything they do, but I truly doubt that their celebration has anything to do with making women subservient to men. In fact, I suspect that, like my family, their family had the Christmas Adam as a tradition before Josh was even born.

My dad's family has been celebrating Christmas Adam since the 1800s. 

I had not realized it went that far back. I only began hearing about it in the last 10 years or so.

40 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

I had not realized it went that far back. I only began hearing about it in the last 10 years or so.

I mean according to the Internet the term only came about around 10 years ago...

3 hours ago, Imagine20 said:

I don't think it's something serious.

I prefer Festivus, it's a Festivus for the rest of us!  Just a short explanation.  I miss Seinfeld. 

635847623711371042-StoryofFestivusArt.jpeg

Hmmmm... A pole and feats of strength. As a competitive pole fitness athlete I like the sounds of this. The studio I train at is closed for the next couple of days, so the last time I got to pole dance was Festivus. I went for three hours straight, and am still sore today.

Archived