IGNORED

Pecan and Priss moving to Texas

WonderingInWA

10 minutes ago, daisyd681 said:

That's true. It also depends on what people mean by trailer. There's the single-wide somewhat mobile kind that really doesn't have space for more than 2 bedrooms. Often though, people call double wide affixed manufactured homes trailors, and they can have several bedrooms. 

It might also depend on how old it is.  My friend lived in a c. 1990 single wide that had three bedrooms and was plenty big enough for mom and three teenagers.  Later, my in-laws hada c. 1995 double wide that was about 1500 SF; just the two of them lived there, but if reconfigured, they could have squeezed in half a dozen kids.  Both of these "trailers" were house-like and quite nice.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in a 1996 double wide that I could potentially sleep 10 kids in bunk beds in (if I didn't let them have any possessions). My next door neighbor's house still has a hitch and could barely fit one bunk in the second bedroom. That's what I think of as a trailer. Mine is a manufactured home. To me, trailer implies ability to move on somewhat short notice. I realize that not everyone makes that distinction though.

The Keller's home was made to look worse by TLC than it is.  One of the BILs talked about this.  While the Keller's do have a small, manufactured home (which is very common in undeveloped areas like where the Kellers and my cousins live), they also live on acreage and have a lot of amenities like a tennis court and various sports fields.  My cousins have much the same set up.  It isn't that they are poor, it's that trucking out the supplies to build a home up in the mountains on forest roads is incredibly difficult and costly, and you end up underwater because home prices in the area wont recoup the costs.  So manufactured homes are common.  The house itself is small, but they are never in the home.  They have multiple shops, an archery range, etc.  It's just priorities.  If you don't do too much hosting because of where you live, having a large house isn't going to be a huge deal, especially if the kids can be outside year round.

As for Anna and Pris: they both have the same spacing (approximately) for their kids, which is the same as the spacing between them and their siblings.  Esther has more kids, but even hers are fairly spaced by fundie standards.  I think there's plenty of evidence to suggest that they are not trying to space, but that this is the normal spacing for the women in this family.  

That makes sense. Dh's grandma never did anything to prevent and she had one every two years (all girls, bless her). There are also some examples I found doing my ancestry. Just because you could get pregnant doesn't mean that you do. Many women now days don't want to risk it, so we forget that natural spacing can happen. 

1 minute ago, daisyd681 said:

That makes sense. Dh's grandma never did anything to prevent and she had one every two years (all girls, bless her). There are also some examples I found doing my ancestry. Just because you could get pregnant doesn't mean that you do. Many women now days don't want to risk it, so we forget that natural spacing can happen. 

Exactly.  The women in my family tend to lose MASS amounts of weight after baby and be unable to conceive for 4-5 years.  We didn't put it together until my aunt, who started having kids later, went in to the doctor for fertility problems because she needed to conceive again ASAP.  A few casual comments lead him to suspect this was genetic, and he had my aunt pull my grandmother's maternal family tree.  Turns out that all the kids were spaced 4-5+ years apart for generations.  Doctor said it was likely a survival trait that allowed the women in our family to heal more between kids AND devote more uninterrupted energy to each small child. 

Natural spacing between each child is an evolutionary advantage, and even to this day, we accept that a break is better for mother and child. Some family lines are lucky enough to have it built in....well, lucky unless you need kids close together :) Before modern medicine, women who were continually pregnant like Michelle and Kelly had a very small chance of making it to menopause.  Even still, Michelle seems to have shrunk, and I FULLY expect her to have bone density problems, if she doesn't already.  

On 2/18/2016 at 1:54 PM, Grace said:

Do you guys really not have family who would come and help work if you were doing a remodel and they had the skills to be useful? I would hate for my family to spend money hiring professionals to do work that I'm capable of helping with so I would definitely take the time to work when I came to visit or even make a special trip to help. None of my skills include building of any kind, but still.  Beats just sitting around. 

I'd say this is actually one of the more historically Christian things these people do. Christians were meant to live in community and help each other out. It's a pretty clear way to be good stewards of their resources. 

These folks are very snarkable, I just don't find rehabbing houses with the help of friends and family to be that odd.

I can't even name all the people who helped us rehab our home.  We were doing it during a break at the local school and had kids popping in to help.  That's just the way it goes around here, everyone pitches in.  You get paid in pizza and beer and when someone else needs help you go help them. 

3 hours ago, daisyd681 said:

Im doing some genealogy as a hobby, and the women in  my mother's family seems to have had some spacing of 3 - 4 years between pregnancies. Same pattern over five generations, so they either had some mechanisms to intentionally limit family size, or it was just what their bodies did on their own accord. 

3 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Exactly.  The women in my family tend to lose MASS amounts of weight after baby and be unable to conceive for 4-5 years.  We didn't put it together until my aunt, who started having kids later, went in to the doctor for fertility problems because she needed to conceive again ASAP.  A few casual comments lead him to suspect this was genetic, and he had my aunt pull my grandmother's maternal family tree.  Turns out that all the kids were spaced 4-5+ years apart for generations.  Doctor said it was likely a survival trait that allowed the women in our family to heal more between kids AND devote more uninterrupted energy to each small child. 

Natural spacing between each child is an evolutionary advantage, and even to this day, we accept that a break is better for mother and child. Some family lines are lucky enough to have it built in....well, lucky unless you need kids close together  Before modern medicine, women who were continually pregnant like Michelle and Kelly had a very small chance of making it to menopause.  Even still, Michelle seems to have shrunk, and I FULLY expect her to have bone density problems, if she doesn't already.  

I have similar natural spacing. It was hard for me at first as I had always wanted children close together, and I was diagnosed with secondary infertility. (I have some other issues, as well.) But now I'm very grateful for the timing of my children. I've had incredible fun getting to have each one be the "baby" for such a long time, and medically, it has worked quite well for me. I may not have as many little loves as I thought I would, but I've cherished every minute and am just so thankful for them. 

6 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

That's just the way it goes around here, everyone pitches in.  You get paid in pizza and beer and when someone else needs help you go help them. 

I want to live where you live.  :pizza:

13 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

I can't even name all the people who helped us rehab our home.  We were doing it during a break at the local school and had kids popping in to help.  That's just the way it goes around here, everyone pitches in.  You get paid in pizza and beer and when someone else needs help you go help them. 

I wonder if it's partially regional as well as cultural. I remember reading a kid's book about the Ingalls-Wilder family moving to the Ozarks and them being totally shocked when the entire community showed up to help build their barn or house or whatever. When Laura was a child in other areas, the only time she mentions anyone helping Pa with anything was trading work with one neighbor. Nobody helped him build the shanty or house in town in Little Town on the Prairie. I 100% expect my friends to help us build anything and 100% expect to help them if they need it even though I don't like that kind of work. It's just what you do in my experience.

7 hours ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

I want to live where you live.  :pizza:

We are kinda backwoods so if you can handle that you are welcome!

21 minutes ago, Grace said:

I wonder if it's partially regional as well as cultural. I remember reading a kid's book about the Ingalls-Wilder family moving to the Ozarks and them being totally shocked when the entire community showed up to help build their barn or house or whatever. When Laura was a child in other areas, the only time she mentions anyone helping Pa with anything was trading work with one neighbor. Nobody helped him build the shanty or house in town in Little Town on the Prairie. I 100% expect my friends to help us build anything and 100% expect to help them if they need it even though I don't like that kind of work. It's just what you do in my experience.

I certainly can see it being regional and cultural.  Most of us multi-generational families have ties to the Ozark area that the Ingalls-Wilder family settled.  We learned to take care of each other from our parents who learned it from their parents.  It was that 3rd generation that came from the Ozarks.

7 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

We are kinda backwoods so if you can handle that you are welcome!

I certainly can see it being regional and cultural.  Most of us multi-generational families have ties to the Ozark area that the Ingalls-Wilder family settled.  We learned to take care of each other from our parents who learned it from their parents.  It was that 3rd generation that came from the Ozarks.

It sounds vaguely possible that we could be distantly related...or...dun dun DUN from feuding families!

22 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

This was how it was for me growing up!  To this day I will join a church because I simply don't know who helps you with everything under the sun if not the "group from Church" or my dad's 25 cousins (my first cousin once removed's wife's sister got me my current job 5 years ago!)

My dad comes over every so often to help with my yard.  My sister is my cleaning service (my mom pays her, and she is INSISTENT she be allowed to do it) and my brother does any odd job needed and is my incredibly excellent and flexible doggy daycare.  For us, it's just what you do.  I tutored my sister through half her classes in high school, and I've been both of their "go to adults" when they had things they didn't want to tell mom and dad.  When you grow up in a "giving" group, by the time you are on you own you are so in debt to everyone else that you jump at ANY opportunity to give your skillset to others. 

I couldn't give a good god damn if anyone paid me for my work.  I don't need money (and honestly, neither do my brother and sister who don't pay rent, or my parents, who invested well the money they saved utilizing the "group from Church").  The chance to be USEFUL when I've benefited SO MUCH from others' skills is really what I need!  

1 hour ago, Grace said:

It sounds vaguely possible that we could be distantly related...or...dun dun DUN from feuding families!

I don't remember anyone talking about feuds so we should be good. ;) 

I know I'm late to the party....but did they really name their pretty little girl Davia?  I mean...it's no Spurgeon...but way to make a girl grow up thinking that the parents wanted a boy.  According to Google, it means "Goddess" in India. Hahahahaha :D

1 minute ago, umsami said:

I know I'm late to the party....but did they really name their pretty little girl Davia?  I mean...it's no Spurgeon...but way to make a girl grow up thinking that the parents wanted a boy.  According to Google, it means "Goddess" in India. Hahahahaha :D

The day her name was announced and made part of the thread title, a good 1/2 to 3/4ths of FJ thought it was a joke.  Why the heck they didn't just go with Davida or one of the fifty million girls names that also mean "beloved" is just beyond me.

On 2/17/2016 at 9:52 AM, JMO said:

I can't with the "we are so thankful for Godly grandparents".  Ugh.  It sounds nice at first but then you realize he means that he knows others that have "un Godly" grandparents that are a bad influence on their precious children.  :my_rolleyes:

I am a long time lurker, but this post inspired me with my user name! Thanks. 

I agree with you, BTW. They are once again seeing themselves as better than the rest of us.

27 minutes ago, Casserole said:

Davia was quite a trendy name in some New Jersey Italian families for a while... I didn't know it wasn't a socially acceptable name choice.

Yeah, I've heard a similar variation before with some frequency -- Davina -- which honestly I would have preferred in this case, too. It does seem a little narcissistic to me for a man named David to use Davia for a daughter, since there are so many other ways to honor family members with names (I've seen people ask here why they didn't go with David and Paula for the kids' names instead and I have wondered the same thing). But it's not like these are the only people ever to have done such a thing.

43 minutes ago, withaj said:

Yeah, I've heard a similar variation before with some frequency -- Davina -- which honestly I would have preferred in this case, too. It does seem a little narcissistic to me for a man named David to use Davia for a daughter, since there are so many other ways to honor family members with names (I've seen people ask here why they didn't go with David and Paula for the kids' names instead and I have wondered the same thing). But it's not like these are the only people ever to have done such a thing.

I've personally met 3 little girls with that name and none of them were named after a David. All three pronounce it "d-AH-vi-AH" as well, if that makes a difference. Not sure how the Waller's pronounce it. 

14 hours ago, umsami said:

Maybe they'll name the next boy Priscillo.

I think Davia is a pretty name. It's a bit odd given that her father's name is David, but the name itself is nice.

6 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I think Davia is a pretty name. It's a bit odd given that her father's name is David, but the name itself is nice.

To me it suggests, "Well, not sure if we're gonna have another blessing, so I better put my namesake on this one!" Which was understandable in the case of Cherin, health issues and all. In Pecan's case, I think he realized filling a Quiver requires fellowship, and that's just icky...

2 hours ago, Casserole said:

Davia was quite a trendy name in some New Jersey Italian families for a while... I didn't know it wasn't a socially acceptable name choice.

Have an acquaintance named Davia. She said it's a common name in her family. 

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived