IGNORED

Women Say Founder of Progressive PR Firm Harrassed, Assaulted Them

Cleopatra7

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/21/10632508/fitzgibbon-sexual-harassment-progressive

The women who say Trevor FitzGibbon, founder of the progressive PR powerhouse FitzGibbon Media, assaulted or harassed them thought they were alone until an early-December staff retreat in Austin, Texas.

Austin-based writer and journalist Sierra Pedraja was trying to get a job at FitzGibbon Media. Instead she got unwanted advances and lewd requests for pictures from FitzGibbon. He told her she was beautiful and asked if she wanted to have any "fun" during an in-person meetup, and followed up with texts asking if she wanted to "hook up" and Facebook messages about how "insane" her photos were.

Still, FitzGibbon Media was huge in the professional progressive sphere; it represented clients like NARAL Pro-Choice America, AFL-CIO, the Center for American Progress, MoveOn, and Wikileaks. Its collapse has sparked a conversation on the left over how often putatively progressive workplaces end up hostile to their female employees, and why it's so hard for the women who work at those places to come forward.

Reading stories like this honestly make me wonder if political lesbianism/separatism might be a good idea. Even women working in supposedly progressive and secular workplaces are still treated like Gothard interns. What would it take to make society and men as a whole take women's rights seriously?

I wish I knew what it would take.

Raging misogyny is the progressive  left's big ol' barely-concealed secret. The women's movement of the 60s and 70s was in part fueled by the outrageous misogyny of the left. It was everywhere from the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee to the German student movement.  I don't as a rule trust progressive males as far as I can throw them.

Poli lez has been making something of a comeback.  For example,  https://politicallesbiansinsisterhood.wordpress.com/dont-love-your-enemy-love-your-sisters/ .

379993_360819473999371_703635952_n.png

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously.  I am so sick of sexist "progressive" douchebags.  I realize that saying this reveals a prejudice I have, but I simply do not trust men.  Not until I get to know them.  

I honestly think there are just as many asshole progressives as asshole conservatives.  The conservatives just get head pats for declaring it publicly while the progressives get head pats for hiding it.  

I had a boss who was always going on about equality and all staff being aware of bullying and harasment, making sure that we all understood about banter being perceived bullying in certain circumstances.

He really talked the talk and senior management had him giving talks to other areas as a sort of equality poster boy. Imagine my surprise when he began to 'appear ' in the kitchen area, stock room etc when I went in alone and made lewd, suggestive comments. I was intimated and uncomfortable of course, so quickly left wherever we were, but I didn't think anyone would believe me, so I didn't say anything. Unfortunately it escalated to touching 'accidentally ' brushing up against me or leaning in too close, then hugging, or rubbing my arm, yuck! He began to perch on my desk and talk to my boobs, it was horrible!! Luckily an older colleague noticed and made sure she went with me whenever she could and several other girls said they had always felt creeped out by him. Eventually with support I reported it, but had to go through a stressful investigation bringing my colleagues as witnesses.  I wonder how many men use a good knowledge of the issues to hide their own bad behaviour and their certainty that no one will believe a victim because they are so obviously 'nice' and 'misunderstood '. I'm pleased to say that I was fully supported but it was a horrible time.

Archived