IGNORED

Christmas presents for pets

ILoveJellybeans

Does anyone else get their pets Christmas presents?

Last year, my kitty got a pre packaged kitty stocking with cat treats, a ball and catnip. She found it a few weeks before Christmas and had a catnip party late at night. She also got a can of posh cat food, to match the meat we are having for Christmas dinner.

This year, I got a small cardboard box and filled it with cat stuff-four tins of fancy cat food (one each), a few packs of cat treats, catnip and various cat toys :)

We always get family pets presents for Christmas and they are allowed meat and gravy from whatever we are eating because the day is special and we share.  So far I have a sweater for one dog-nephew, a hedgehog doll for the much bigger dog nephew, and catnip bouncy balls for 2 cat-nieces and 1 cat-nephew.

My fur babies always get Christmas presents. I usually get them 1toy a piece and a stocking full of treats like busy bones, dentasticks, candy cane rawhides, and a box of milk bones. I also get presents for my parents dogs and both of my sisters dogs. 

Now that I have written this out, I sound more and more like the crazy dog lady. :bathtime:

46 minutes ago, Diggingupdirt said:

Now that I have written this out, I sound more and more like the crazy dog lady. :bathtime:

There are far worse things in life to be accused of. ;)

Absolutely! My fur child will get a new toy - it's hard to find toys she likes - must be fluffy, not rubber, must squeak, and must be small enough for her little mouth (she weighs in at 2.8kg so most dog toys are too big), a new collar, a bag of liver treats, and there will be a chicken wing for her on Christmas Day.  And of course she got her Christmas dress up.

image.jpg

Annual Holiday scenario...

-Hide and wrap toys, treats, etc. for the doggie and kitties.

-Distribute gifts in front of their little individual blankie beds. Excitedly, unwrap the presents for them. 

-Chase them down when they decide the empty box, or wrapping paper across the room is a lot more interesting that the new shiny toy.  

[take a sip of bourbon and..........]

-REPEAT chase down scene between each gift.

[take a sip of bourbon and..........]

-Finally give up, unwrap the presents by myself, stick them in a pile...and watch dog and cats fuss over the empty boxes and wrapping paper.

In the future, seriously considering wrapping up empty boxes, stuffed with newspapers.

I sure do love my little friends, they are my world....and they know it lol.

As soon as I was old enough to give presents, I gave them to the dog! However, her presents had to be on top of the fridge rather than under the tree, since she would smell them and tear up the paper well before Christmas. She was also allowed, in her bowl (my family of origin does not allow begging, but puts leftovers in the dog bowl after dinner on special occasions), a small amount of turkey or steak. She would always be so happy on Christmas, like she knew what day it was.

Now, with my 2 cats, my wife and I buy them small catnip toys, because it's funny to watch them be all stoned out on it. We don't wrap them though. Just hide them and present with ceremony on Christmas! We also give them a small amount of our new traditional food, pot roast. Only the meat, though. For health reasons, I have never allowed any animal I live with any human food except meat or eggs, because the other things don't benefit them at all.

We got those pre made stockings with dog toys in it for our big dog and one with cat toys for our little dog, the dog toys are all way to big she is 5lbs and cat toys are perfect size for her.

My dog loves to unwrap presents, so I always give her that joy.
I think this year I'll just wrap some special treats in old newspapers, put them in box, wrap in more newspapers, put in another box etc... And enjoy the show.

Oh my dog gets way too many presents! Everyone else in my family are hard to buy for. I stress about what to get them, what would they like, would they use it etc. But dog presents are easy and I get very excited about what to get her!

Already she has a teddy (owl) and some treaties, and yesterday I also got her a new collar and a halti head collar too. I might get her a squeaky toy too. I would like to get a new  comfy soft dog bed but they are super expensive so until I see a good deal on them, she will have to make do with her hand-me-down plastic tray  from my old dog filled with a old pillow.

About 2 years ago, maybe 3, I was wrapping everyone's presents at the kitchen table, while I was home alone. I even wrapped Holly's present with her curious and confused head, titled and glaring at me and the present. It was a squeaky toy shaped like a bone. She knew it was for her and had to tell her to stay away when I put it under the tree with the rest of the presents. A little while later, I see her outside at the end of the garden with something in her mouth. It was the squeeky toy still wrapped up. She had the cutest, funniest look on her face - a real come get me, chase me look. she wasn't even trying to hide that she took it, she was waiting there for me to see her. I eventually got it back after a good long chase about the garden in the freezing cold. It was still wrapped pretty good, just with a few tooth shaped holes in it  where she had been squeezing it!

I learnt my lesson not to wrap presents in front of her anymore! Too much temptations and no patience or understanding of waiting for Xmas!

Guilty

My dogs are getting treats (hard to find because one is allergic to everything) and new dog tags.  

Their "grandmother" will undoubtedly have treats and squeaky toys, both under the tree and in their stocking.  

They're older dogs and spoiled rotten.  But, all animals in the family get people - like attention.  

When I had a feline headship, I would get him an 'El Gato Muy Loco' 'Cuban cigar' every year.  Powerful nip and definitely lived up to its name.  

ETA if I wrapped it and put it under the tree, he would usually chew into the paper.  

Tabby%20031.jpg

Yes! We always give my dogs some toys and treats. We have stockings hung up for two of them.

16 hours ago, Karma said:

Absolutely! My fur child will get a new toy - it's hard to find toys she likes - must be fluffy, not rubber, must squeak, and must be small enough for her little mouth (she weighs in at 2.8kg so most dog toys are too big), a new collar, a bag of liver treats, and there will be a chicken wing for her on Christmas Day.  And of course she got her Christmas dress up.

image.jpg

Oh my, your dog is beautiful. Is she in charge in your house?

I have never bought my cat a present, but my husband bought her a stocking this year. Very bizarre, as they don't really like each other.

Oh yes! I just bought my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Charlie a bag of his favourite dried liver strips (nasty disgusting smelly things ) but he saw them and did the head on one side begging thing, followed by the "look at me, I'm sitting eith my paw up like a very good boy....pleeeeease can I have one?!? So I  relented and gave him one already!  

Why oh why do dog treats smell so bad?!

The two cats are easier as their favourite treats come in small bags which are easily hidden!

But like all of you, my fur babies are part of our family and get presents too and the dog thinks he is a person :-)

Yeah I often get my feline family members toys either for Christmas or when I'm going to visit them.  (What I often do then is give the people at the pet stores my brother in law's number so he gets the loyalty points instead of me since we don't have indoor pets here).

Here was my late fur niece Morgan checking out a tail I got her for Christmas one year. 

1.jpg.a43601eb6107fbbd7e97a2071202a602.j

I remember another year I got Morgan a catnip squirrel for Christmas.  Boy her reaction to that made my Christmas that year.  She absolutely loved that squirrel, was tossing it around, licking it, and being a complete little stoner with the squirrel.  She was a very happy girl cat due to the nip that was in the squirrel.

Last year I got my fur niece TK a little tunnel/cat bed.  She was even checking it out the first day, then my brother sent a photo a few weeks later of her napping away in the bed.

My dogs are getting stiffed! 

Yes, we do have a (single) doggy stocking but all three of them will share it.  It contains yummy doggy treats (hung out of reach) to distract them from interfering with humans opening presents. And new collars.  They will not be interested in the new collars.  They love the treats.  They will also get some yummy extra stuff with their dinners.  Within reason.  We have a couple of sensitive tummies here and Greyhound gas can peel paint!

I got shamed (not really) by a close friend and fellow dog owner last week.  She wraps her doggy gifts individually because they "so enjoy ripping the paper off!"

Oh, yeah. Two of my hounds are beautifully behaved and non-destructive.  The third does not need to be reinforced on paper destruction - or anything else destruction.  We are still working on it so all 3 are getting stiffed this year. :my_smile:

My foster pup Zephyr got a permanent home for Christmas...with me! And of course, I'm spoiling him rotten. :D

This is an older picture, but he hasn't changed much. He's almost 8 months old now!

12003360_10153052153605636_8735781666829

The Queen does not get holiday gifts from me because buying her things typically does not suit her fussy plaything requirements.  She'd much rather have tabs from the milk jug and little bits of cellophane that crackle.  (she likes things that move easily, sometimes fly and can be picked up and carted about in her mouth).  

My two Saint Bernards got new toys from the neighbors.  This past spring, after 10 months I caved and formally adopted my foster, Rocco. So Rocco gets a permanent home and Sophie gets a brother!

Archived