IGNORED

Cat discussion thread

Grimalkin

On 12/31/2015 at 11:58 PM, Grimalkin said:

I could not find my cats today and totally panicked. They tore a hole in the bottom of my box spring mattress and climb into it. Like a hammock. Crazy cats.

This has happened to us as well. Most recently, Hindi has taken to hiding inside the clean laundry basket. Since it usually (ok, always) has clothes in it we could look right at her and not see her. (She burrows.) The other day I reached in to get some socks and she licked me and scared the bejesus right out of me. I screamed and she looked offended.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have two black littermates. DSCN1590.thumb.JPG.73eebd8d7ac390447714eOne acts as though he's not neutered (even though he is) and darts outside all the time. When he isn't darting outside (and then having to be chased down because he's an indoor cat), he is doing grossly inappropriate things to our calico, who does not appreciate it at ALL. He also does grossly inappropriate things to his brother, but his brother doesn't mind. 

And then my calico. She's my baby who was fished out of a trashcan at a few weeks old.11155085_10153247997083194_9144950169411

3 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

Those are some good looking cats @polecat I love black cats.

Thanks! I've a weakness for black cats myself! We call them our mini house panthers. 

Hi!  I haven't finished the thread yet, but I wanted to play.  Here is my black cat with the dog, Charlie and Kingsford.  They've been best friends since the kitten was a four week old orphan.  He suckled the dog's ear for about a year, and then just stopped.  Charlie's nickname is Little Shit because he does things that make you say that, like knocking over glasses, attacking the bird cage, grabbing your feet as you carry heavy things down the basement stairs....

not the best photo of the cat, sorry.  I will try again later.

image.jpeg

On 12/20/2015 at 10:59 AM, singsingsing said:

toby.thumb.jpg.89377b0622189a3c68981b970

toby2.jpg.a8745a1644fa12aec1731f90cd677f

My two favourites, Teddy the dog and Toby the cat. They're my grandparents' pets. Grandparents' pets are kind of like having grandchildren, all the fun and none of the responsibility. :kitty-wink:

I love both of these photos.  I've never had the pleasure of owning an orange cat, but I've heard they are really great.

21 minutes ago, Furious said:

I love both of these photos.  I've never had the pleasure of owning an orange cat, but I've heard they are really great.

They truly are! If I ever get my own cat again, it will definitely be an orange cat.

My friend had the sweetest orange and white cat named Sally. She was so little, and her fur was silky soft, and she loved drinking from running water. She would sit by the faucet and meow until you turned it on for her.

My daughter is also obsessed with cats. She made up a huge fantasy world called Cat Land, accessed via a portal in the litter box. (I can't make these things up. She's hysterical.) One of our cats would dig and dig and dig and I'd call her name and DD would say something like "Leave her alone! She's fixing the portal. " She also never had an imaginary friend. She had invisible flying cats. Maybe a love of cats is genetic? :my_biggrin:

Of my four feline headships, this is the one who normally gets overlooked (she doesn't photograph too well - often has a resting bitch face.)  This was bright sunlight (a little overexposed.)  I just love her one ginger sock.

56881743212c0_Mooiscomfyedited.jpg.87da8

Our only kitty at this time is our Pelli. She is sooo good with our kids. She is the 4 year old's best friend. 

image.jpg

2 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Our only kitty at this time is our Pelli. She is sooo good with our kids. She is the 4 year old's best friend. 

image.jpg

She is one loooong cat!

3 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

She is one loooong cat!

Lol. She was just stretched out while she was sleeping. Or maybe it was just the angle of my shot. She's really very normal sized!

Here are our four current cats:. Charlie, Zippy, Harry, and Mr.Sprinkles.  Charlie is the baby, zippy was given to us by a relative who couldn't keep him; his parents were brother and sister, and he's a runt.  Harry is from the SPCA and had been abused, so he's very timid.  Mr. Sprinkles is the Alpha male and is part Maine Coon.  They all get along well, and the first three like the dog.  The dog is afraid of Mr. Sprinkles.

we lost Ocho back in April.  She was a big girl of 15 (years and pounds), and she looked exactly like @Georgiana's baby at the top of page 2.  I did a double take when I first saw him.

this is a fun thread!  Is there a similar one of everyone's dogs?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here's my approximately 11-year-old feline headship, China.(Can a female cat be a headship? :pb_lol:). I got her in 2008, a couple of months after losing my first cat, Mittens.  I often wake up in the morning with her on my chest, her butt in my face, and her tail going swish-swish-swish. 

2013-02-28_164408.jpg

50 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Here's my approximately 11-year-old feline headship, China.(Can a female cat be a headship? :pb_lol:). I got her in 2008, a couple of months after losing my first cat, Mittens.  I often wake up in the morning with her on my chest, her butt in my face, and her tail going swish-swish-swish. 

2013-02-28_164408.jpg

All of ours are female, and I assure you, they are headships.

Woe betide the human who attempts to explain otherwise.

China is beautiful!

We have one cat, Sadie, who is now about 12 years old.  We got her when my son was in 1st grade and the crossing guard asked if we could adopt a stray kitten.  In our old house, she would bang the cupboard doors if she wanted something or was irritated with me.  In our new place, the cupboards all have magnets that hold them closed - she does not like that at all.  We have a little enclosed back yard so on nice days, she likes to go outside and smell the scents, lie in the sun, and occasionally get scolded by a squirrel.  She is not a cuddler, but she loves to be petted and scratched, and will poke me if I don't comply.  When my son goes to bed, she goes to sleep with him, and then around 3:00 a.m., cries at his door so that I have to get up and go let her out.  What a pain in the ass.  Bossy, demanding, and much loved.

Sadie.jpg

On January 6, 2016 at 10:08 AM, SpoonfulOSugar said:

All of ours are female, and I assure you, they are headships.

Woe betide the human who attempts to explain otherwise.

China is beautiful!

Thank you!(That fact has saved her bacon on more than one occasion. :pb_lol:)

On January 10, 2016 at 8:07 PM, Maggie Mae said:

Does anyone have any recs on OTC de-worming medication? 

I didn't know that you could get that OTC. Th shelter where I adopted my cats called today for a follow up on our kitties and she strongly recommend we test them for whip worm since they are e from a shelter. Well shit, we had these guys a month. Now I have to worry about my kids and dog having worms. Yuk.

On January 10, 2016 at 9:07 PM, Maggie Mae said:

Does anyone have any recs on OTC de-worming medication? 

Maggie Mae, I forget where you live, but if you love in the States Tractor Supply can be a good place to check.  Farm folk often worm their own animals and they tend to have a decent supply.  They didn't, though, when my daughter and I went to get some tapeworm medicine for their dogs. We had to get that at Walmart.  Petsmart and Petco are also good places to check.

If you suspect or know the cat has tapeworm because you've seen the segments on the cat's fur, then you might be able to pick some meds up at the vet cheaply.  At least I've done so. I didn't have to take the cat in for a visit.  It does help that I'm well known at our vets' office.

To anyone who seriously suspects that their pet(s) have tapeworm, remember to also check their fur for fleas. Fleas are a vector (a bug that can infect them) for tapeworms. Fleas live on pet, pet licks up some of the fleas, et voilà, the tapeworm that was living in the flea now lives inside the pet. (I really hope I'm remembering the science right on that. Maybe check a good website about parasite infections in pets if you're worried.) Most of the time, cats or dogs with tapeworms need to be treated for fleas as well.

I found a good site explaining tapeworms, with diagrams.

http://bostonstreetvet.com/2015/05/12/the-connection-between-tapeworms-and-fleas/

@Maggie Mae, I know that's not your problem. I just posted it as an FYI for anyone else. The dewormers I know were all prescriptions when I worked for a vet back in the 90s. I'm not much help, I'm afraid. 

Today I had to give Amber a bath. Put her in the water, and she makes her escape by climbing me with claws out and taking refuge on my shoulder.

Archived