IGNORED

Cat discussion thread

Grimalkin

Happy Holidays, Jingerites!  

I hope you are less upset about the holidays than my cats are for being stuffed in hats!

IMG_3005[1].JPG

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Old Man sometimes plays puppy by following me around the neighborhood. He used to wait at the bus stop for Miss GG to return from school. We raised him from 6wks old, and 17 years later, he still acts like a baby kitty. At our old house, he used to hunt frogs, birds, and mice. We trained him not to jump on any countertops or tables. He's also pretty tolerant of baths as long as his face stays dry. 

24 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

@AuntCloudcongratulations On your new cats!

im sure they will come around. I like their eyebrows. Bold eyebrows are all the rage these days!

@Walking Cat Bed your kitty is adorable!

Thanks Grimalkin! I only recently realized growing out eyebrows to re-shape when they're full is a thing. I try to just keep the caterpillars tame and not shape too dramatically. I almost wonder if they feel I still miss Jube like crazy and keep their distance? Oh well, cats live on their own timeline. 

Georgiana, your lovely kitty looks like they're plotting something. 

@AuntCloud, It always takes time with new cats to get adjusted to the home.   Don't worry, they will come around.  The will soon be the well established queens of the house and will come into their own as headships.

Claiming the clean laundry for bedding is a fine start.

Black clothing is a magnet for my orange fella. He will ignore a basket of white towels to make a beeline for the darks.   

c915df23c1c85bf67abb232e751bfc97.jpg

So this is Misty. I just got her in September - she was my grandma's car and after she passed I took Misty home with me.

I think she is an extremely routine based cat. We have our morning routine, which consists of her waking me up 5 minutes before the alarm goes off by sitting on my chest and meowing. She then demands a belly rub while I use the bathroom, and then I make her breakfast and then she sits and watches me drink my coffee. In the evenings we have playtime, treats and then at 10 PM she is sitting at the bedroom door staring us down.

She will only eat seafood flavored cat food, we have literally tried every brand at Petsmart and she only goes for the seafood. Like Rosy's Kitty she is a bush cat and will only climb as high as the second to highest level of her 6 ft cat condo. Her favorite daytime activities include perching on the window watching birds and squirrels, napping in the closet and playing with the stick end of the feather on a string (yep, she has no interest in the feather). Her favorite toy is a small, stuffed mouse I call Mean Mr. Mouse that is like her teddy - she likes to bring it to bed with her and sometimes my husband will wake up with MMM on the pillow next to his head. She hates loud noises and toddlers and when someone is over visiting she will perform recon missions by walking around the perimeter of the room and then dashing away under the bed when noticed.

We are looking to adopt a companion for her, but right now due to our schedules it would likely be January/February before we can bring one home. She was used to having a companion with her most of the day and my husband says she will cry when I leave for work, so I hope having a buddy will keep her company during the day.

ab95c795b9ea135cc3ff6a19e8882bc1.jpg

Misty spent most of Christmas under the bedsheets - now she is wishing everyone a relaxing Boxing Day.

On 12/20/2015 at 8:40 AM, Grimalkin said:

I read cats like bags, mine don't seem interested. My nine year old sleeps in a loft bed and we are trying to figure out how to construct a way for them to get up and down easily. Will get a cat tower one of these days.

My 10 year old sleeps on the top bunk of a bunk bed and one of our cats jumps from the bottom mattress (full size) to the top (twin). It has rails and everything, she just goes over.

We have two cats, aged almost 11 (Her name is Seven) , and 10 (Hindi) . Seven loves to wear jewelry that my daughter puts on her. She goes around the house, proud as can be with a necklace dragging. (We always supervise for safety.) She is also the one who jumps onto the top bunk whenever she pleases. She tries to eat food that my daughter drops on the floor like a dog does. She's eaten mac and cheese, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, bread, corn, and once, part of a Snickers candy bar. (Poor thing was sick for a day or so. My daughter learned not to leave half eaten candy lying around.) She used to play hide and seek with my husband. She tries to get to the fish swimming in the aquarium through the glass but won't put her paw in water to actually get one. She's demanding, ornery and sometimes a huge brat but how I love her.

Our other cat is a snuggle baby. She loves to cuddle in bed, under the covers with us. She's also not the smartest cat. One time my daughter decided to see how many times Hindi would follow her from the living room to the bedroom when she said "Nap time, Hindi!" I let her do it 2 or 3 times before I made her cuddle with Hindi and stop teasing her. They would jump on the bed, and then DD would go back into the living room. Hindi would follow slowly. Then DD would go back into the bedroom, and Hindi would gallop after her. It was pretty funny. Hindi is super sweet but gets cranky with Seven. They rarely cuddle with each other. Most often they lie side by side but not touching.

Um, I could go on and on about my cats so I'll stop there.

kailash, you can go on all you want about your cats and their antics. I made some toys out of yarn for them for Christmas, I made some pom poms, I made one really shaggy and uneven and its a hit. I take it away when I leave them alone just in case there is some unforeseen danger in it, but they seem to like it.

1 hour ago, Grimalkin said:

kailash, you can go on all you want about your cats and their antics. I made some toys out of yarn for them for Christmas, I made some pom poms, I made one really shaggy and uneven and its a hit. I take it away when I leave them alone just in case there is some unforeseen danger in it, but they seem to like it.

I just made my first cat toy yesterday! It was just a little pillow, within a pillow, filled with catnip. Hindi does what my DD calls "rabbit feet" and plays with it. It's so cute! What's funny is that we've bought expensive catnip and neither cat reacted. But this stuff is from Walmart, and they're all over it.

And if I knew how to post pics I'd share pics of my two. I'll figure it out.

My girls are litter mates that I got free out of a free newspaper. As kittens they were always running and playing. They're older now, so they prefer cuddling, fake fighting with each other,  and catnip.  First pic is Joy,  second is Emma.  They're 13.

20151218_202220.jpg

20151223_010942.jpg

I could not find my cats today and totally panicked. They tore a hole in the bottom of my box spring mattress and climb into it. Like a hammock. Crazy cats.

Years ago, my sweet boy, Tikki, had a hiding place in my boxspring, like @Grimalkin's cats made. Tikki was very shy and that was his go-to spot when anyone but me came in my house. The only things that enticed him out were Pringles. The silly guy loved crunchy, salty snacks like crisps and pretzels. Man, I sure miss him. I knew him for almost 13 years, was owned by him for almost 12 years, and lived with just him and one other cat for 7 years. He was my best boy ever. I have no pictures of him on my phone, unfortunately.

@Maggie Mae that's no cat, its a baby wookie! is that a suitcase he is laying in? @RosyDaisy so far our cats have barely ventured into the family room because our dog mostly lays around in there. the sneak in on occasion then run off when he opens his eyes.

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? aww sorry to here about Tikki. I cannot believe how much I love these cats. I need to post pictures of the toys I made for them. At one point I was waving around two different toys at the same time and my husband is just looking at me because he was not sure if I lost my mind or not.

@Grimalkin it's a suitcase. He was "helping" me pack. I ended up just doing something else for a bit until he wanted to sleep somewhere else.

Cats are weird.

I am a kitty lover too.  Our cat Opie is 2.  He came from a box in front of Wal-Mart.  He is a long-haired ginger tabby. His fur is a bit  different from any of the kitties we've had before and tends to mat. My sister-in-law used to raise Ragdolls and says Opie's fur is almost the same.  A couple weeks ago he went to the vet for a spa day; shave, toe nails clipped and some booster shots.  He looks so darn cute!  My DH says he looks like someone photoshopped his head onto a different body.

We are trying to remain mat free but he dislikes being messed with excessively and will first give warning nips and then real bites and scratches. 

I am thinking he needs a friend.  I've been checking the Human Society web page and also Exotic Shorthair breeder pages.  The latter are just like looking at the Sears Christmas "Wish Book".

16 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

I could not find my cats today and totally panicked. They tore a hole in the bottom of my box spring mattress and climb into it. Like a hammock. Crazy cats.

my late Feline Headship did that when I was a kid.  He LOVED that hiding place.

2 hours ago, nana sew dear said:

I am a kitty lover too.  Our cat Opie is 2.  He came from a box in front of Wal-Mart.  He is a long-haired ginger tabby. His fur is a bit  different from any of the kitties we've had before and tends to mat. My sister-in-law used to raise Ragdolls and says Opie's fur is almost the same.  A couple weeks ago he went to the vet for a spa day; shave, toe nails clipped and some booster shots.  He looks so darn cute!  My DH says he looks like someone photoshopped his head onto a different body.

We are trying to remain mat free but he dislikes being messed with excessively and will first give warning nips and then real bites and scratches. 

I am thinking he needs a friend.  I've been checking the Human Society web page and also Exotic Shorthair breeder pages.  The latter are just like looking at the Sears Christmas "Wish Book".

If you can, please look into rescue--- your local SPCA, various rescues, etc.  Staff or volunteers there will know which kitties are good with other cats.

www.petfinder.com is a good place to start.

@Grimalkin Eli is very territorial. He would take on a dog who tries to claim any part of our house.

We have 5 cats right now.  Two of them are former ferals.  Wild, crazy ferals.  I managed to catch them at a year old to have them fixed.  It took about 6 months after that to gain trust back, and then I finally got them in the house.  The sister is still skittish around new things, you can see her eyes change as she switches back to wild mode.  Her brother is a big love bug.  Big, as in 23 pounds of pure hard muscle.

I just finished nursing the baby.  While she was eating, he was licking the boob she was attached to.  She was yelling at him to stop, and he was happily licking and I was laughing at them both.  They have quite the battle between them.  She will be nursing and he comes along and plops himself over her to be closer to my face.  She comes along and sees him sleeping on my lap, and she climbs up and spreads out on top of him to nurse.  He is such a good boy.

Archived