IGNORED

Christmas Dinner

Arete

I'm doing a vegan Christmas this year as my Aunt is vegan her daughter is vegetarian.

"Cocktail hour/Gift opening time"

• Christmas tree Veggie platter (I did this a couple of years ago and everyone liked it so I plan on doing it again) 
  • Cheese board and a fig and walnut log, crackers (cheese not vegan but the crackers and the fig and walnut is)
  • lima bean and tomato tartlets. 
  • hummous and naan chips

Dinner:

• Mushroom and onion phyllo pie
  • roasted potatoes
  • stuffing
  • soy sesame brussels sprouts (the only way you will get me to eat the nasty things. This recipe is heavenly!) 
  • home made cranberry chutney
  • gravy 
  • Christmas soup (still going back and forth on this, depends on how I feel Christmas morning. It's simple anyway)

Dessert:

• Vegan and regular Christmas pudding with brandy sauce and hard sauce
  • vegan and regular mince tarts
  • rum balls
  • Berry "cheesecake"
  • various other baked goodies (not all vegan)

Local wines, local ciders, Baileys by the bucket load (starting from first thing!) Christmas mimosas

Breakfast is an eggs benedict casserole that I can make ahead. 

This will be interesting. I have done Vegan Christmas a few times and always change up the menu. This year is the most "traditional" since the only big change to our normal fare is mushroom pie instead of Turkey. 

•  

veggie 2013.jpg

@louisa05 I think you should make oyster stew and invite sil and company over one Sunday!

'integrity of the family meal' what fucking ever. They can keep 'their' family meal, you can keep yours and be as inclusive as you want.

I make a beef tenderloin. It's a bit spendy but everyone likes it and that does not happen so often. And we always get a few days of leftovers with it. I make a gravy/sauce with some grainy mustard and cream, mash, going to make a small dish of potatoes au gratin, cauliflower roasted, salad, and stuffed mushrooms. Cookies and fudge for desert. Simple and pretty easy to make.

13 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

@louisa05 I think you should make oyster stew and invite sil and company over one Sunday!

'integrity of the family meal' what fucking ever. They can keep 'their' family meal, you can keep yours and be as inclusive as you want.

I make a beef tenderloin. It's a bit spendy but everyone likes it and that does not happen so often. And we always get a few days of leftovers with it. I make a gravy/sauce with some grainy mustard and cream, mash, going to make a small dish of potatoes au gratin, cauliflower roasted, salad, and stuffed mushrooms. Cookies and fudge for desert. Simple and pretty easy to make.

Since Thanksgiving was canceled by bad weather, I'm taking the artichoke dip I was supposed to make for that (it was at my husband's aunt's house and she doesn't treat me like crap). Sister-in-law, if she follows her typical form, will eat a ton of it while telling me about how the artichoke dip she has never made but heard about somewhere and will definitely make someday is much better. 

I'm also looking forward to what the insult-with-gift will be from her this year. A few years ago, she bought me a couple of used books (that were literally covered in filth no less) and informed me that she got them because she knows I "never actually read any quality literature" (in case I've never mentioned it, I have an English degree and taught lit for 16 years). Last year I got a pair of overpriced socks because she knows that I "need to learn about well made basics". And so on and on...she can't give me a gift without an accompanying insult. 

I'm thankful this year both our children and their partners are able to join us for Christmas in south Florida (where it's currently 102F and I'm enjoying an early Christmas Eve cocktail by the pool).

Christmas Eve we're dining out at a favourite steakhouse.

Christmas morning starts with champagne then we'll be having baked Brie in puff pastry with raspberry coulis, baguettes, hard salamis and cheeses along with warm cider and egg nog while we open gifts outside.

Christmas dinner will be traditional - rotisseried turkey on the BBQ, dressing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes & gravy, brandied carrots, veal & pork shish kabobs  and my grandmother's macaroni (tube shaped pasta baked with bacon, onions, garlic, cheese and and egg/milk custard). For dessert, homemade blueberry and chocolate cream pies with ice cream and whip cream.

And wine - lots of wine.

Merry Christmas to all. Wishing everyone a joyous holiday season and a happy, healthy and peaceful 2016.

Louisa, my in laws are assholes but live in another country thank god. I always prepare myself mentally before seeing them and I have a little fun with it. I wish I could explain it better but I sort of bait them into saying things. For some reason it makes me giggle inside knowing how predictable they are and they look like assholes even if nobody else is around to witness it. I also might ask a lot of ridiculous questions with lots of details about the special socks for example. What materials were used, where the origins are, do they use sweat shop workers....... If you ever watched the American version of the office think Jim and Dwight. It's my own little game that keeps me sane.

*ask her some quality book recommendation and then ask her about them in great detail including questions about the authors life.

On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 7:19 PM, ILoveJellybeans said:

A tradition in our family is to have Chinese food on Christmas Eve. For Christmas dinner we are having ham, stuffing, mashed potato and sprouts.

I am also making a huge supply of buffet food for everyone to just grab when they want, as its less effort and I always make enough to feed a small army. Also except for Christmas dinner itself, I am switching to paper plates because I cant be bothered washing up.

Ha!!! Chinese food on Christmas Eve has also been our tradition for years and most people I know think we're strange because of it. It started out being me, hubby and kids heading to a chinese restaurant when we couldn't  get into the children's  mass because the church was bursting at the seams (our once-a-year foray into the world of organised religion).  It has morphed slowly over the years to include any of hubby's family who have nothing better to do that night.

Christmas day is nothing but traditional: potluck at my parents including turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, carrots, cranberry sauce, random green vegetable (blech), salad, buns (gotta be Pillsbury crescent rolls), cheese tray, fresh fruit, pumpkin pie followed by passing out on the couch in a food-induced coma.

Christmas Dinner went off without a hitch! (ok not true, corkscrew broke and we ended up with 2 bottles of wine with the cork inside) But the food was fantastic and I had the timing down so well that I actually sat for a few hours in the afternoon instead of running around! 

I hope everyone else's dinners went well. 

Tonight, we do a mild repeat - but this time, with a chicken. Mushroom pie was yummy but bring on the meat!

On 12/24/2015 at 1:59 PM, Grimalkin said:

Louisa, my in laws are assholes but live in another country thank god. I always prepare myself mentally before seeing them and I have a little fun with it. I wish I could explain it better but I sort of bait them into saying things. For some reason it makes me giggle inside knowing how predictable they are and they look like assholes even if nobody else is around to witness it. I also might ask a lot of ridiculous questions with lots of details about the special socks for example. What materials were used, where the origins are, do they use sweat shop workers....... If you ever watched the American version of the office think Jim and Dwight. It's my own little game that keeps me sane.

*ask her some quality book recommendation and then ask her about them in great detail including questions about the authors life.

Oh, I have screwed with her before. She is so well read that she thought George Eliot was a man.  Any time I am right about anything and she is wrong, she gets very upset. Thursday night it wasn't even me doing it on purpose. She was explaining to her mother where some town was and placed it just a few miles from town A, right by town B. Except town A and town B are about 30 miles apart with a large city between them. I pointed this out and she got all quiet and insulted for a good 20 minutes. 

My husband actually screws with her sometimes, too. She and her little boyfriend were dressed alike (shredded skinny jeans tucked into black ankle boots and black cable knit sweaters). He got a lot of mileage out of that. 

My gosh we have so much food in this house! So.Much.Food!!! Even after giving "care packages" to our guest and my son who doesn't live here.

I do love cookies for breakfast, but my waistline surely does not!

Archived