IGNORED

Jim and Bobye Holt Had A Baby....

FJismyheadship

4 minutes ago, Hane said:

I've met two women who had surprise babies at 46. One had just sent her youngest off to college. One had tried to get pregnant for many years without success, so she and her husband sold their big house, downsized, put much of their money into their business---then, ta da!

Were those babies such surprises that even the closest friends didn't know of the pregnancies? 

There's just an extra dimension of weirdness, similar to Sarah Palin's last pregnancy...could be quite legit, but also a lot of odd moments, more than enough for the casual observer to wonder WTF...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Hane said:

I've met two women who had surprise babies at 46. One had just sent her youngest off to college. One had tried to get pregnant for many years without success, so she and her husband sold their big house, downsized, put much of their money into their business---then, ta da!

I know that they are frowned upon by many couples struggling with fertility, but I LOVE stories like this one. I have a great-aunt who tried unsuccessfully to conceive for nearly three decades after her marriage. When she began going through menopause, she and her husband  gave up on the baby, sold their business, took a long trip and a cruise, and returned to their quiet lives in NC. She was about 47-48. She went to her doctor for a check-up after the trip because she'd had some dizziness, and the doctor diagnosed her with an advanced case of baby. She was close to full gestation. She went into labor on her own about a month later, so it is assumed she was around 8 months when she got the news. :)

Their child was a little girl (my second-cousin Lisa), and they were in awe of her from the moment she arrived. She was carried around on a pillow like a glass slipper until she was old enough to walk. 

18 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

Were those babies such surprises that even the closest friends didn't know of the pregnancies? 

There's just an extra dimension of weirdness, similar to Sarah Palin's last pregnancy...could be quite legit, but also a lot of odd moments, more than enough for the casual observer to wonder WTF...

Back in the day, it wasn't unheard of for a middle-aged mom to palm off her teenaged daughter's out-of-wedlock baby as her own. (My own mother threatened to do this if one of us girls wound up with an untimely pregnancy.)

One of my daughter's friends, in her early 20s, hired me to make a cake for her parents' 50th wedding anniversary. I assumed that she was an X-treme change-of-life baby, till I learned that her troubled "big sister" was in fact her biological mother. 

Oh, that happened in my family. My great-grandmother had three husbands, but the one child she bore wasn't related to her marriages whatsoever.  My grandmother thought her mother was her sister for almost two decades....caused all kinds of untoward psychic misery for my grandmother when she discovered the truth.   

I don't have quite enough evidence to make comments in that direction, but that course of action certainly has a long historical precedence.  It is certainly in-ter-est-ing that Bobeye has suddenly had this change of life baby out of nowhere with a questionable, perhaps evenly purchased midwife, but what do I know?  I wasn't there.  It's just very, very interesting to me... :confused2:

The 'older sister adopts younger sisters baby' thing happened in my family, too.  Older sister was married at 20 and was at that time in her 30's, with no kids even though they wanted kids.  Must have sucked to find her 15 year old sister was pregnant.  The younger sister was happy to let her older sister adopt, especially since the older sister lived in another state.  So when her pregnancy couldn't be hidden any longer, the teen went to live with her sister and wore a fake wedding ring.  I think the story was that the father was in the military and wanted his child to be born in the US.  After the delivery the teen went home and went back to her life.  The older sister knew that the neighbors figured out what had happened, but since adoption was often kept a secret, the baby grew up not ever knowing she was adopted.  Even the neighbors knew and kept the secret!

This is not a good thing to do to a child.  The baby grew up, got married, had a couple of kids when she somehow learned the truth and went ballistic.  She refused to talk to her parents, referring to them by their first names if she spoke of them at all, and chased her birth mother around insisting on calling her Mom, birth mom's husband was her Stepfather, and their kids were her brother and sister.  Finally her birth mom took her aside and said that she had no interest in being her mom, the adoption was her idea because when she was a teen she would have made a lousy mother, explained the social stigma, and asked her to stop confusing her children by insisting that they start calling her their sister.  It broke her heart because she felt rejected all over again.  Lots of counseling was required before she forgave everyone for hiding her adoption from her, but she eventually went back to thinking of her adoptive parents as her parents again.

I was about 13 at the time and I found it very strange.  I think in most cases it's best for children to learn early if they've been adopted.

I think this was pretty common back in the day.  My grandfather was about 23 when he went home one day and his parents told him he had a new baby sister, their 10th child.  She was, in fact, the illegitimate child of one of the older girls (who were living away from home during WWII). They never told anyone who the mother was, although my nan figured it out years later.  The neighbours and other relatives must surely have known my great-grandmother hadn't been pregnant, but it was all swept under the rug. 

I'm currently reading a book called "The Girls Who Went Away" about unwed mothers (teens and 20s) in post WWII era until Roe v Wade.  It mostly centers around the girls who were sent away to maternity homes and forced to give their kids up for adoption, but a few cases of the paretns raising the baby.   Fascinating read.

http://smile.amazon.com/Girls-Who-Went-Away-Surrendered-ebook/dp/B008RMF4GS/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1450624265&sr=1-1&keywords=the+girls+that+went+away

There was a family that lived across the street when I was growing up. They had one daughter who has a couple of years younger than me. When the girl was about 8 or 9, they had another child, with a third coming shortly after. Everyone was surprised they waited so long, and the mother mentioned needing fertility treatments. 

A few years later the older girl began rebelling and there were yelling matches all the time with her screaming at her parents. Shocked the neighborhood because the family seemed so nice. 

Turns out the girl was actually the husband's niece, the biological daughter of his drug adict sister. They had raised her from when she was a newborn because the mother was so strung out. The girl had been told, too, but for whatever reason as a teenager she decided she hated her parents and wanted to live with her biological father. 

Who promptly rejected her. 

It took a few years to sort that at, but last I heard she had accepted the situation and realized she was better off with her parents. 

I have heard many stories of people who years later find out their much older sister is their mother. The actor Jack Nicolson had this story apparently he never knew till a reporter told him. 

I so want to hop on the conspiracy bandwagon, but she wasn't completely quiet on it. She posted it as a comment on Sierra the wedding planner's (I think) Instagram and I added it to the upcoming baby list. Still super weird though.

If you were going to sneakily adopt an unwed daughter's baby or something you'd probably know a little beforehand and could start dropping little hints.

But it could be just like they said, she wouldn't be the first mother to have a late pregnancy.

I think a squirrel brought him. In the photo he's still  in the acorn.

3 hours ago, Jana814 said:

I have heard many stories of people who years later find out their much older sister is their mother. The actor Jack Nicolson had this story apparently he never knew till a reporter told him. 

I know that Eric Clapton was raised in the same situation, too.  

16 minutes ago, GeoBQn said:

Also Bobby Darin.  He found out the truth when he was 32, and never recovered from the shock.

I heard that too. I also their was a singer named Sal Minio I think that was his story also. 

8 hours ago, Jana814 said:

Singer Bobby Darin found out his much older sister was his mother when he was thinking about running for public office and obtained a copy of his birth certificate.

He hadn't had a clue, despite the fact that his sister and he were the only kids in the family, there was an 18 year or so age difference, and his "father" had died sometime before he was born.  He never forgave his "sister".

***I see GeoBQn has already mentioned this.  As an aside I read earlier that Darin died 42 years ago today. 

23 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Shithead is just an urban legend (and typically a racist one at that). No one has ever been able to find a record of an actual person named Shithead.

I know multiple doctors in different parts of the country that have taken care of a patient with that name. 

46 and pregnant? I mean it can happen but it's rare especially the old fashion way. Ivf? Or who got pregnant out of wedlock. Just like Sarah Palin and Bristol.  Rumor has it Trig? Sarahs youngest son is actually her daughters son. 

9 minutes ago, JMO said:

I know multiple doctors in different parts of the country that have taken care of a patient with that name. 

If that were true it would be very unprofessional of them to tell you the name of their patients. They might have told you that story, but I guarantee it was just an urban legend.

If the name is so common that everyone knows someone who met someone named Shithead, then why is it so hard to find any actual people with that name?

21 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

However, there is a LOT of circumstantial evidence... her close friends didn't even realize she was expecting; she never mentioned it when discussing the birth of her most recent grandchild; she almost avoided discussing entirely, despite being past the point of reasonable concern over viability. Plus, her family relied on the use of an unlicensed agent to quietly deliver the child at home. This, combined with her oddly specific statement about it being "Our son, from MY womb...". Though doth protest quite a lot, Bobye.

I haven't ever read much about the Holts, so I don't have a past behavior radar to compare things. Is it possible that this is a rare moment when the mother is content to stay quiet about her own pregnancy because she doesn't want to take away from her older child's time in the spotlight? That would be a crazy thought in Duggar-world, yes, but maybe possible for others.

You're right about the combination of sketchy factors, though.

I always read Bobye's name like she's related to Kanye.

20 hours ago, Hane said:

Back in the day, it wasn't unheard of for a middle-aged mom to palm off her teenaged daughter's out-of-wedlock baby as her own. (My own mother threatened to do this if one of us girls wound up with an untimely pregnancy.)

One of my daughter's friends, in her early 20s, hired me to make a cake for her parents' 50th wedding anniversary. I assumed that she was an X-treme change-of-life baby, till I learned that her troubled "big sister" was in fact her biological mother. 

Not just back in the day.  About 8 years ago, I was working at a firm and we had a client come in.  She came in with her husband, her 20 year old daughter, and her 4 year old daughter.  After the family left, my boss told me that the 4 year old was actually the older daughter's child, born out of wedlock.  I was horrified.  I cannot imagine that this would remain a secret forever.  One day, the little girl will learn that her "parents" were really her grandparents and that her sister was really her mother, and feel totally betrayed.  

It is strange to me that Bobeye (in my head, I pronounce this as rhyming with Popeye) would make no mention of her pregnancy, that people who know her would not be aware she was pregnant.  It goes against their whole philosophy.  Even if she thought she might lose the baby, or lose her life giving birth, isn't that supposed to be a badge of honor?  Why keep it under wraps?  

3 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

Not just back in the day.  About 8 years ago, I was working at a firm and we had a client come in.  She came in with her husband, her 20 year old daughter, and her 4 year old daughter.  After the family left, my boss told me that the 4 year old was actually the older daughter's child, born out of wedlock.  I was horrified.  I cannot imagine that this would remain a secret forever.  One day, the little girl will learn that her "parents" were really her grandparents and that her sister was really her mother, and feel totally betrayed.  

That's very odd that this would happen now. Do you mind me asking what area was this in. 

1 hour ago, SoybeanQueen said:

I always read Bobye's name like she's related to Kanye.

Can we get a witness?! :my_biggrin:

Archived