IGNORED

Police Ordered to Detain 'Affluenza Teen' Ethan Couch

47of74

The affluenza teen is in trouble with the law now and is probably hiding out somewhere in a prayer closet.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Police-Ordered-to-Detain-Affluenza-Teen-Ethan-Couch-362534481.html

Lawyers representing Ethan Couch confirm police have been ordered to detain their client since his parole officer has been unable to reach either he or his mother.

Couch's attorneys, Regan Wynn and Scott Brown, released the following statement Tuesday afternoon:

"We have recently learned for last several days the juvenile probation officer has been unable to make contact with Ethan or his mother, with whom he’s been residing. It’s our understanding that the court has issued a directive to apprehend to have Ethan detained because he is out of contact with his probation officer. We do not have any further information concerning this situation. It would not be appropriate for us to publicly discuss this matter further at this time."

Earlier this month, a six-second video posted to Twitter showed young men playing beer pong. The person who posted the tweet accused Couch of violating his probation.

• Upvote 1

I have no time for anyone who drinks and drives. It is a completely avoidable offence. And to use the excuse that he has too much money? FFS - buddy can afford a cab. And now, he's gone missing. Brilliant. 

• Upvote 7

Ugh.  I have to believe that his passport would have been confiscated, right? I mean with his wealth and the risk of fleeing?

I still can't believe that he got probation for killing four people and making another person seriously injured all while drinking under age.  WTF.

• Upvote 9

I was just coming to post about this.  This is no shock to me at all.  All the judge in this case did was prove to the kid he was above the law, why would he take his probation seriously?  And oh, of course the family has money so reporting for probation probably interferes with all their social obligations, etc.  This being a probation violation though, hopefully now he gets the full sentence for his crimes!

• Upvote 1

While I am of the general opinion that the American criminal justice system tends to be too punitive, in this case the punishment was way too light. Guy kills four people and serious injuries others all while drinking and driving underage and gets sent to a rich kid summer camp, without showing any remorse or making any restitution to the people he harmed. And now he's decided to blow off probation. Unfortunately, I think more people will be injured and possibly killed before he's finally taken off the streets, because he thinks he's above the system.

• Upvote 7

That's how it goes over here in the great land of the free.

Someone steals candy bars because they are poor and starving? 5 years in prison.

Someone driving under the influence and MURDERS (yes, murders) multiple people? Meh. Have some probation. 

• Upvote 8

I actually read an interesting thought process regarding his sentencing. He was 17 when he committed the crime. He couldn't be tried as an adult due to state laws saying only first degree murder committing juveniles can be tried as adults. 

Well, mr jerk face didn't have premeditation so he couldn't be tried as an adult. The most he could have gotten would be jail until 21 and his records expunged since he was a minor when he committed the crime. The judge gave him strict probation for 10 years. A few months later, the kid turned 18 and was finally an adult in the eyes of the law. Was there ever a chance this kid would last 10 years probation? Obviously not. Now his punishments will be as an adult, follow him for the rest of his life, and include jail time. It seemed ridiculous at the time, but now this kid gets adult prison when he's stupid enough to slip up and get caught (again)

• Upvote 7

On December 18, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Cleopatra7 said:

While I am of the general opinion that the American criminal justice system tends to be too punitive, in this case the punishment was way too light. Guy kills four people and serious injuries others all while drinking and driving underage and gets sent to a rich kid summer camp, without showing any remorse or making any restitution to the people he harmed. And now he's decided to blow off probation. Unfortunately, I think more people will be injured and possibly killed before he's finally taken off the streets, because he thinks he's above the system.

On December 19, 2015 at 4:35 AM, meep said:

That's how it goes over here in the great land of the free.

Someone steals candy bars because they are poor and starving? 5 years in prison.

Someone driving under the influence and MURDERS (yes, murders) multiple people? Meh. Have some probation. 

I have a relative whose fourth DUI/OVI was pled to reckless operation/willful/wanton disregard. All told, they got fines, three days in jail (again),  work driving privileges (again), alcohol education classes (again), and random testing. Didn't show up for a three-panel screen the first time, but was lucky enough not to get caught while the warrant was out. Passed the screen, then was subjected to random urinalysis for a year as part of a 'zero-tolerance' no-alcohol three years probation (that didn't happen, they just drank at home rather than the usual local watering holes). As long as they stayed out of trouble for three years (which they did), that was the deal. Again, this was from number FOUR. A fifty-year-old adult. Of course a teenager is going to think they can get away with anything if you handle them with kid gloves! 

18 hours ago, Emkay said:

have a relative whose fourth DUI/OVI was pled to reckless operation/willful/wanton disregard. All told, they got fines, three days in jail (again),  work driving privileges (again), alcohol education classes (again), and random testing. Didn't show up for a three-panel screen the first time, but was lucky enough not to get caught while the warrant was out. Passed the screen, then was subjected to random urinalysis for a year as part of a 'zero-tolerance' no-alcohol three years probation (that didn't happen, they just drank at home rather than the usual local watering holes). As long as they stayed out of trouble for three years (which they did), that was the deal. Again, this was from number FOUR. A fifty-year-old adult. Of course a teenager is going to think they can get away with anything if you handle them with kid gloves! 

Hubby's grandpa was slammed into by a drunk driver on Christmas Day a few years ago, it was a contributing factor in his death. This was just outside Chicago, guy was on his 5 or 6th DUI, had never spent time in jail and was driving on a suspended license. Even with Grandpa's death, the guy was able to plead it down and didn't even spend 6 months in jail. Justice is a nice concept but its total BS in most cases.  Can't wait until they find the little punk and his mother and they realize what it means to be low man on the totem  pole.

• Upvote 2

I have no time for anyone who drinks and drives. It is a completely avoidable offence. And to use the excuse that he has too much money? FFS - buddy can afford a cab. And now, he's gone missing. Brilliant. 

As disgusting as this kid is, I will pop in here to say outside of large metros cabs are practically non-existent. In this case you try to get someone to be a designated driver, because most of the US the only way to get around is by car.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Peas n carrots said:

As disgusting as this kid is, I will pop in here to say outside of large metros cabs are practically non-existent. In this case you try to get someone to be a designated driver, because most of the US the only way to get around is by car.

But in large metros, Uber and Lyft have become super popular in the last couple of years. I've used them in multiple cities and it's cheap and convenient.  This guy has a smart phone, he could have someone come pick him up super easy.  He's just a selfish dick.

Edit to add: And several of those cities (Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa) are so car dependent it's not even funny.  You can't walk anywhere except in very specific neighborhoods.  But the apps work awesome.

Edited by bashfulpixie
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Peas n carrots said: As disgusting as this kid is, I will pop in here to say outside of large metros cabs are practically non-existent. In this case you try to get someone to be a designated driver, because most of the US the only way to get around is by car.

But in large metros, Uber and Lyft have become super popular in the last couple of years. I've used them in multiple cities and it's cheap and convenient.  This guy has a smart phone, he could have someone come pick him up super easy.  He's just a selfish dick.

Edit to add: And several of those cities (Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa) are so car dependent it's not even funny.  You can't walk anywhere except in very specific neighborhoods.  But the apps work awesome.

Indeed he is a dick, but sometimes our members from different countries don't realize how little public transit or cabs there are outside of the major metros. Until recently in my hometown you would have to wait over an hour for a cab after the bars closed. Uber and Lyft have been great for my hometown and getting people to not drive themselves home after a few drinks.

• Upvote 1

Until the last 3 years cslling a cab in my county might have got an answering machine with a message to call back the next day.  I have got that message in the past.  Busses run from very select parking lots in my county to the main city once in the morning and once in the evening.  But lately a good cab company appeared  and uber arrived so we have a few more options

Well it seems like the kid who wasn't even old enough to drink would have been an obvious choice for the designated driver.

What a sad, sad mess.

• Upvote 2

None of you are wrong.

I hope they throw the book right at him when they get a hold of him.

12 hours ago, Peas n carrots said:

I have lived in plenty of small towns as well as in large cities. So what if you have to wait for a cab - it is no excuse. My parents retired to a small village (fewer than 1200 people) and you could still get a cab. It might mean a wait since it is basically a 2 man operation, but there was a cab. There are also so many other alternatives. Designated driver? I mean how many people were in that car. If you choose to drive, you take the responsibility that goes with it.  Sorry. I just don't see there being any excuse. 

The other thing is, he wasn't AT a bar. He had gone out, stolen beer from a walmart and then went driving around. No excuses at all.  I have no time for anyone who drinks and drives. No excuses at all. 

• Upvote 10

12 hours ago, Peas n carrots said: As disgusting as this kid is, I will pop in here to say outside of large metros cabs are practically non-existent. In this case you try to get someone to be a designated driver, because most of the US the only way to get around is by car.

I have lived in plenty of small towns as well as in large cities. So what if you have to wait for a cab - it is no excuse. My parents retired to a small village (fewer than 1200 people) and you could still get a cab. It might mean a wait since it is basically a 2 man operation, but there was a cab. There are also so many other alternatives. Designated driver? I mean how many people were in that car. If you choose to drive, you take the responsibility that goes with it.  Sorry. I just don't see there being any excuse. 

The other thing is, he wasn't AT a bar. He had gone out, stolen beer from a walmart and then went driving around. No excuses at all.  I have no time for anyone who drinks and drives. No excuses at all. 

I don't think you read my post very closely. Go back and read again - I brought up DD's.

Your village was fortunate to have cabs - I lived in a city of 250k that had 3 cabs and a bus system that shut down at 6 pm. This was also a Big 10 college town. Cabs simply do not exist in a town of 1200. DD's are your only option in most of the US.

@Peas n carrots I did read it and comprehend it without issue. That doesn't make it an excuse. Designated Driver is not your only option. There is the option to not drink, or to stay over. Or drink at home. No reason to drive a car while under the infulence. I dont' care if you live in a city with 4 million people or in a tiny hamlet with a population of 100. Don't drink if you plan on driving.  

He also wasn't out at a party or at a bar (as I stated in my previous post) 

In reading further - he stole the beer then went to his parents house and had a party with his friends and then got in his dad's pick up truck  with 7 other people and drove around.  There is no excuse. None. 

The crash occurred in the Forth Worth suburb of  Burleson.  A quick search shows there are 37 yellow pages listings for cab companies that service the area. So even if he was out and needed to get home - he would have had access to a cab - and money wasn't an object either since his entire defence was based upon being raised in an affluent home. 

He had no excuse. There is NEVER an excuse to drink and drive. 

Edited by Jeebusismycopilot
  • Upvote 13

@Peas n carrots I did read it and comprehend it without issue. That doesn't make it an excuse. Designated Driver is not your only option. There is the option to not drink, or to stay over. Or drink at home. No reason to drive a car while under the infulence. I dont' care if you live in a city with 4 million people or in a tiny hamlet with a population of 100. Don't drink if you plan on driving.  

He also wasn't out at a party or at a bar (as I stated in my previous post) 

In reading further - he stole the beer then went to his parents house and had a party with his friends and then got in his dad's pick up truck  with 7 other people and drove around.  There is no excuse. None. 

The crash occurred in the Forth Worth suburb of  Burleson.  A quick search shows there are 37 yellow pages listings for cab companies that service the area. So even if he was out and needed to get home - he would have had access to a cab - and money wasn't an object either since his entire defence was based upon being raised in an affluent home. 

He had no excuse. There is NEVER an excuse to drink and drive. 

Whatever you would rather pretend to be sanctimonious in your responses. I'm not going to waste any more time trying to explain to you again what was clearly written in my initial post.

I don't see how there can be any excuse for getting behind the wheel after consuming quantities of alcohol. If that makes me sanctimonious, then so be it.  But too many people are killed and too many families are torn apart because people are too selfish and thoughtless to find an alternative.  

• Upvote 11

Well little Ethan has been arrested in Mexico, along with his mother.

(CNN)Mexican authorities have detained so-called "affluenza" teen Ethan Couch and his mother near the popular Mexican Pacific beach resort town of Puerto Vallarta, officials briefed on the matter told CNN.

Couch, 18, went missing earlier this month, two years after he made national news when he was sentenced to probation for a drunken driving crash that killed four people.

Couch is expected to be turned over to the U.S. Marshals Service, who have spent weeks searching for him. A spokesman for the service declined to comment.

He is wanted by authorities in Tarrant County, Texas, for allegedly violating probation. His mother was listed by Texas authorities as a missing person after her son's disappearance, and the authorities said they believed she was assisting her son.

I hope they throw the goddamn book at him and his mother.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Jennifer Hart said:

I was just coming to post that they found him in Mexico.  I agree, I hope his mother gets arrested as well.  

I'm not optimistic though.  I get the feeling that little bastard and his mother are probably still going to get off with little more than a slap on the wrist.

• Upvote 2