nomoxian

It's a movie backed by the Duggars about an adoption that only took 5 days.

From the clips I've seen, it doesn't say where the baby was originally from; but to me it smells like a "let's quickly get the baby out of the country and away from their bio family" situation.

5dayadoption.com 

After watching the trailer, why would I want to watch the movie? The entire plot and everything that happens right down to Jim Bob loaning them a car is shown. 

They get told that there is a baby about to be born and if they want to adopt the baby they have 48 hours to get everything done. They rush around getting all the stuff done, call up Jim Bob and Michelle to borrow a car, use up all their savings, and then hear that the birth mother wants to keep the baby. They claim that they are okay with that, but you kind of get the impression that they aren't. Next thing you know they are told that she signed the papers and the baby is theirs. It is an odd story and I don't understand why it was so rushed. 

I don't really understand the point of this story. The decision to place a child for adoption, or to adopt a child, is monumentally life-changing for both you and the child. It's not a choice you should ever make quickly or impulsively.

I don't see what's "inspiring" about a film about people making major life choices without having the time to think them through.

Thanks for the summary Formergothardite. 

That's pretty messed. I'm more interested in seeing a movie about what the family situation is like a few years down the line, though if it's anything like the Duggar shows, it will be very sanitized. 

When I was in gradeschool I put more thought into getting a pet. 

The fact that fully grown adults bring a child into their home with less thought... well, I feel bad for the kid they adopted!

I call bull shit on this.  You may be able to get a baby into your home that fast, but adoptions still require judges and court hearings, and that takes longer than five days.

That is amazingly bad. Like Kirk cameron level of bad. I have been thinking for months about getting a dog. A dog. Wich probably i won't get because the level of responsability i would need for a dog is not what i am ready for right now.

And what did ever happened to the sins of the parents thing? 

18 hours ago, lawfulevil said:

Raise your hand if you put way more thought into adopting your last pet.

It took about two weeks for me to adopt Little Miss Bonkers, from the time her foster mom advertised that she was ready to adopt until I brought her home.

I had a "play date" at the foster house after e-mailing foster mom for several days; the following Wednesday, she was at the vet to be spayed; the next day (Thursday), I went to the shelter to complete the adoption paperwork; she came home Friday. 

And that was AFTER several months of planning on my part (saving for the first supply run, figuring out a vet, making sure she'd adapt well to the house and my roommate's Feline Headship). 

16 hours ago, Jingerbread said:

I call bull shit on this.  You may be able to get a baby into your home that fast, but adoptions still require judges and court hearings, and that takes longer than five days.

Yes. I went straight home from the hospital and my parents had legal custody, but it took 3 months for it to be finalized. My brother was 1 day old when my parents got the call about him and took straight home from the hospital too. 

After watching the trailer again, I think saying they fully completed an adoption in five days is a bit of an exaggeration. Their homestudy needed to be updated, yes, but they'd already had a homestudy completed previously, which can be one of the lengthiest parts of the process. They paid for the adoption by taking money from their savings, which again, they already had. The courtroom scene is also ambiguous - there's no audio, so it's not clear whether they actually finalized the adoption or whether they just obtained guardianship while awaiting finalization a few weeks or months down the road. I notice that the website does not include finalization in the list of things they accomplished, which makes me think it was the latter.

They did accomplish quite a lot in a short period of time, don't get me wrong, but the reality seems more mundane than what they're implying.

On 12/15/2015 at 10:50 PM, Mercer said:

I don't really understand the point of this story. The decision to place a child for adoption, or to adopt a child, is monumentally life-changing for both you and the child. It's not a choice you should ever make quickly or impulsively.

I don't see what's "inspiring" about a film about people making major life choices without having the time to think them through.

Adoption is about the adoptive parents dontchyaknow?  

Hope this doesn't end in a 5 Day Re-homing

Archived