IGNORED

Homeless shelter bans women 'cause sex

polecat

According to this homeless shelter anyway. Those naughty homeless women were tempting the menfolk, and the homeless shelter couldn't have any of that, so out the women went and their children, too (although the shelter director did concede that a male child MIGHT be okay as long as he was with his dad rather than his mom).

http://www.inquisitr.com/2630924/christian-homeless-shelter-evicts-all-women-just-before-christmas-bans-most-children/

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/kentucky-shelter-tosses-out-all-women-days-before-holidays-because-they-tempt-men-with-ungodly-sex/

Merry Christmas, y'all!

http://www.wymt.com/content/news/Women-no-longer-accepted-at-homeless-shelter-after-sex-problem-361346571.html

Woodward said he made his decision based on the Bible. He said what was happening at the shelter was sinful.

He told us he is not saying women are the cause of the "sex problem."

"It takes two to do that," he said. "We are not biased or prejudice whatsoever."

Does he assume  that all homeless residents are heterosexual or would gay sex be all right?

Well but throwing women out is quite biblical:

And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

From this article: http://www.inquisitr.com/2630924/christian-homeless-shelter-evicts-all-women-just-before-christmas-bans-most-children/

There has been no word from the shelter’s director regarding why he simply didn’t evict individuals who were caught having sex on a case-by-case basis, regardless of their gender.

Duh, because it's the women having sex who are sinful, even I know that part of Christian theology. Original sin, right?

Seriously, what a control freak. Did you see where this director said last year that 38% of the shelter were women? I wonder if they counted children in that number. 

How much do you want to bet that this director tries to prevent women from terminating unwanted pregnancies while simultaneously keeping children from staying in his homeless shelter.

Wish you'd put a trigger warning in the header, because I damned near screamed out curses, right here in the public library. *swallows tongue and puts on rageface*

Gee, aren't there a couple verses in both Jewish and Christian scripture (aka: OT/NT) about the importance of protecting the very, very vulnerable people? Wonder if that shelter gets any United Way or CFC (Combined Federal Campaign) charity support.

Is there something toxic in the water or soil down in KY that explains the extension of the crazy?

:tw_angry:

Well, dude's can masterbate. So, he should ban dude's as well.

So his "shelter" can be full of air....ghosts....caretakers with no one to care for..... Or better yet, just close it down.

Maybe you good folks can help me out with this, because my memory is failing me right now.

I seem to recall one homeless couple a long time ago who were seeking shelter. Something about all the inns being full up, so they were having a hard time finding accommodations? Oh, dear. I just can't remember. I think the woman might have been pregnant or something.

From what I *do* remember, the innkeeper who finally gave them shelter didn't tell them "Oh, so you have a woman in your party? Well, then, GTFO!" I think that innkeeper at least put them up for the night, even if it wasn't in his best accommodations.

Hmmmmm....if I could only remember which book I might have read this story in...It was probably something *very* obscure.

3 hours ago, samira_catlover said:

Is there something toxic in the water or soil down in KY that explains the extension of the crazy?

:tw_angry:

No, there's nothing in our water, all the evil-crazy is dispensed from the church pulpits just like everywhere else.

How very Christian of him.  You can't make this shit up.

We don't do much right lately down here in Texas, but I will give kudos to my local Christian-affiliated homeless shelter.  They not only welcome women and children, last year they built six little cottages with kitchens and bathrooms so that women with children (mostly who have escaped abusive situations) can have a more home-like atmosphere and a little privacy as a family as they try to pull their lives back together.  They also still have dormitory-style beds/rooms for women (and men).  If they run out of room at night, they have cots and sleeping bags and will fill the hallways, the dining hall, whatever.  Their only criteria is that you cannot come in drunk or high (which I think is reasonable).

One complaint I've heard about the shelters in my area is that most or maybe all of them segregate the men's and women's sleeping areas. The "rescue mission" just has separate locations for men and women. (I'm not sure what the various policies are regarding children.) I don't think any of the shelters have ever gone from co-ed to single gender. 

We just had the police clearing out a large tent city recently and the topic of homelessness is finally getting more attention locally. I hope we find some better solutions soon. And I really hope all those women and kids in Kentucky have someplace safe to sleep tonight.

Clearly, this woman is off her rocker in this particular case but who to allow and what kind of spaces to build is not an uncommon issue in shelters. There are also many established homeless shelters that are gender specific but this does seem to be the only one in the area.

I worked at a Women and Children's Shelter for a spell and the biggest issue I saw -- that they were aware of yet hadn't yet solved -- was what to do when a woman's male children turned 18. Technically, he was a man and the other women didn't want him there for understandable reasons. It was a domestic violence center. On the other hand, he was still by most cultural estimations a child, had been living at home, wasn't financially independent, and still fleeing the same abuser as his mother and yet they had to be separated. It caused a lot of strife and most often they had to move back in with their abusive parent. 

We also knew of and were in contact with Homeless Shelters that didn't accept single men at all because of the fear of unwanted sexual advances because a lot of homeless single women were victims of assault in the past. This isn't the same as thinking all women were harlots but caused the similar logistical issues. Luckily, there were multiple shelters in town and good contact between them so if A was full they'd call B and get a ride or if A didn't take men, they'd called B and get a ride. 

This woman's reasoning and order of events are awful -- I hope that's clear but this issue isn't without precedent (but usually comes from an entirely different set of secular concerns usually regarding how to make a safer space and funding.)

I have no issue with single sex shelters, but his reasoning Is all sorts of moronic. That smarmy, self righteous, holier than thou attitude makes me want to smack him upside the head in the hopes it would reboot his brain. 

There need to be more family shelters so that teen boys aren't thrown under a bus.  In my area, the problem is worse than just turning 18.  Boys have to be 18 or over to stay in the men's shelter, but 12 and under to stay in the women's.  13-17 have nowhere to go.

I am curious why that shelter decided to punish the women.  Probably a situation of the poor menz can't control themselves, and the wimmins are the to-blame jezebels.

I wonder what all those people who are abetted abs disgusted by this are doing to find or create shelter for homeless women and children now? Including the city?  Being a Christian organization means they don't receive any government funding, so while city officials may be disheartened,  or whatever the quote was,  that the only homeless shelter in the area no longer tales women they are neither currently nor previously doing anything to provide more homeless shelters.  People can hate on this guy,  and Christian shelters in general,  but at least he is doing something. 

The only homeless shelter in my city is run by a christian organization. They have about 100 beds for men and only 8 for women and children. I wonder why.

9 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

I wonder what all those people who are abetted abs disgusted by this are doing to find or create shelter for homeless women and children now? Including the city?  Being a Christian organization means they don't receive any government funding, so while city officials may be disheartened,  or whatever the quote was,  that the only homeless shelter in the area no longer tales women they are neither currently nor previously doing anything to provide more homeless shelters.  People can hate on this guy,  and Christian shelters in general,  but at least he is doing something. 

Religious groups definitely do receive government funding.  Catholic hospitals, the Salvation Army, and rescue missions (shelters and the like) get money all the time.  Since they're supposed to provide services, they aren't exempt the way a church you go to every Sunday is.

The ungodly type? Seriously? What about homeless women who run from abusive homes and marriages and are forced to bring their children?
How DARE they call themselves Christians when they cast out such vulnerable people into the cold, right before Christmas. I hope the staff at that shelter are ashamed of themselves. No heart, no compassion, no understanding. 

Archived