IGNORED

Wheaton prof wear hijab to show solidarity

PennySycamore

I saw this on Rawstory this morning:

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/professor-at-christian-college-dons-hijab-in-solidarity-with-our-muslim-sisters-who-are-under-attack/

Dr Larycia Alaine Hawkins, a professor of political science at Wheaton College, has started wearing a hijab not only to class, but everywhere she goes to show solidarity with Muslim women. She does this not because these women are Americans, but because they are her sister human beings.  She consulted with the Chicago branch of CAIR -the Council on AmericanIslamic Relations- to make sure she would not be doing anything forbidden or be guilty of cultural appropriation.  CAIR gave her the OK.  Bravo to this brave woman!

5 minutes ago, umsami said:

Good for her, but I wonder how the powers that be at Wheaton will react?  

According to this, she received tenure in 2014 so her job should be safe. 

15 minutes ago, umsami said:

Good for her, but I wonder how the powers that be at Wheaton will react?  

My first thoughts. Good for her. Wheaton is like two towns over from me. We have a lot of Muslim families in the area. Wheaton College is pretty nuts in general, but it sounds like she has some humanity.

When I made my comment about her job being protected because of tenure, I was unaware that Wheaton is one of those places that makes faculty members sign a Statement of Faith. :pb_sad:

Wow that story really crashed and burned on the 1st page.

It seemed to show such promise.

What they are missing the point on is that it is a way bigger story now, and when she gets re-instated then it ever would have been.

If she got the axe due to religion yet was only wearing it as a statement piece and not due to a change in her religion of choice then how on earth can they suspend her?

Some interesting quotes in this story:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-wheaton-college-professor-larycia-hawkins-20151216-story.html

My personal favorite from Wheaton students:

"We believe there is nothing in Dr. Hawkins' public statements that goes against the belief in the power and nature of God, Christ, or the Holy Spirit that the Statement of Faith deems as a necessary requirement for affiliation with Wheaton College," the letter continued.

See, this is where I really get pissed off.  Evangelicals representing their theology as the normative Christian position when it is not.  Catholicism and Orthodoxy, which last I checked represent the majority of Chritians worldwide, DO believe that Christianity and Islam worship the same God.  

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Wheaton has just shown themselves to led by assholes.  

A shockingly high number of people in admin in higher ed are assholes, so that's not exactly surprising, unfortunately.  

1 hour ago, AreteJo said:

See, this is where I really get pissed off.  Evangelicals representing their theology as the normative Christian position when it is not.  Catholicism and Orthodoxy, which last I checked represent the majority of Chritians worldwide, DO believe that Christianity and Islam worship the same God.  

Well, I Mean, they DO worship they same supposed God. I am confused as to why anyone who has any knowledge of the two faiths would think differently....but, as far as evangelicals, they are a minority, but all fundie and fundie lights, regardless of specific religion or ideology, seem to b, or think they are, a huge driving factor. 

9 hours ago, AreteJo said:

I mean, what can you expect. They fired a professor for becoming Roman Catholic. How un-Christian of him.

Archived