IGNORED

Amazon will now deliver booze in Manhattan

47of74

Amazon Prime members in Manhattan can now get booze delivered to them in one hour.

Amazon announced that, as of today, members of their subscription Prime service can order beer, wine and liquor to be delivered anywhere in Manhattan in under an hour. Despite Prime coming with its own $99/year price tag, users still have to pay an additional $7.99 for the quick delivery service. However, customers willing to wait two-hours for delivery (ridiculous!) can get their alcohol sent free of charge. It sounds like a great way to find out how patient you really are.

As the site Re/code points out, quick booze delivery isn’t necessarily anything new in NYC. Sites and apps like Delivery.com, Minibar and Thirstie already have the area covered. And according to the New York Post, Amazon kind of stumbled out of the gates: A reviewer testing out retail giant’s new service failed in an attempt to score beer at 6am this morning. (Though if you’re ordering alcohol at 6am, you got bigger problems on your hands.)

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

Wouldn't it be quicker to just walk to a Manhattan liquor store?

Never forget how lazy people can be.

• 2 weeks later...

I would totally use this service in lieu of going to Costco if prices are comparable. The package shop walking distance from my house doesn't offer much variety or value. 

On 12/14/2015 at 9:06 AM, PennySycamore said:

Wouldn't it be quicker to just walk to a Manhattan liquor store?

Well you've also got to factor in what you can do in that hour. Sure it would take less time but not when you compare taking 5 minutes on Amazon and two minutes picking up the delivery to the 20+ minutes it takes to get to the store.

Plus, most corner mom-and-pop bodega type stores have beer so there's always something nearby.  

• 2 weeks later...

I know in San Diego it was extremely difficult for me to find a place to buy liquor. This would have been amazing. It was even a little hard in Virginia. 

I've seen the Amazon Fresh (grocery delivery service) staffers at my local farmers' market fulfilling customer orders. 

Archived