IGNORED

Girls from big / important fundy families marrying?

Daenerys

Isn't Jinger still a bit young? I thought she was only 17, or just turned 18. That is still a bit young, even in fundie land. But yeah, point taken. It sort of makes you wonder if the families really like each other all that much. But I don't know -- if they've been friends for a long time, the boys and girls might view each other as more like siblings.

Isn't Jinger still a bit young? I thought she was only 17, or just turned 18. That is still a bit young, even in fundie land. But yeah, point taken. It sort of makes you wonder if the families really like each other all that much. But I don't know -- if they've been friends for a long time, the boys and girls might view each other as more like siblings.

Jinger will be 18 in December, I think.

To be honest I am surprised that the Duggars and Bates, who are good friends so clearly have compatible theology, haven't married any of their children to each other yet.

Aside from the loans to his parents thing, Lawson is financially doing very well for his age and Zach should be doing reasonably as a County Commissioner. John-David apparently owns some sort of towing business, and TLC/Daddy can certainly bankroll another son into having a house set up for a potential bride.

The eligible (over 18) Duggar girls are Jana, Jill, Jessa and Jinger and the Bates have Michaella, Erin and possibly Alyssa (the Bates haven't got ages/DOBs on their site). It just seems that at this point, it would be odd not to see at least one pairing. Some of the girls HAVE to be married for the lifestyle to seem feasible to the next generation.

I'm also surprised that there hasn't been a Duggar/Bates courtship/marriage and a lot have people have predicted that it will happen. I kind of hope Lawson decide to court soon and get married to sort of get away from his family. I feel bad for him, Gil and Kelly take advantage of him too much.

See: "Bill Gothard"

(while we're talking about people who publish on things they know nothing about)

Don't forget Dougie or the Western Conservatory (ie the Botkins.)

To be honest I am surprised that the Duggars and Bates, who are good friends so clearly have compatible theology, haven't married any of their children to each other yet.

Aside from the loans to his parents thing, Lawson is financially doing very well for his age and Zach should be doing reasonably as a County Commissioner. John-David apparently owns some sort of towing business, and TLC/Daddy can certainly bankroll another son into having a house set up for a potential bride.

The eligible (over 18) Duggar girls are Jana, Jill, Jessa and Jinger and the Bates have Michaella, Erin and possibly Alyssa (the Bates haven't got ages/DOBs on their site). It just seems that at this point, it would be odd not to see at least one pairing. Some of the girls HAVE to be married for the lifestyle to seem feasible to the next generation.

My theory on this is as follows:

I don't know if Michaela wants to court or if the Bates are willing to lose their eldest daughter. Ditto the Duggars with Jana. Those two are workhorses!

I would guess that Princess Erin Bates is NOT interested in John-David and saving herself for some sort of super fundy royalty. She seems stuck up to me, and the Bates literally cannot afford to lose Lawson, since his loans keep them afloat - they don't want that money going towards a wife and kids and new house.

I would guess that we don't see Jana, Jill or Michaela getting married for a while. I think they do too much work for their families to give them up. J-D will probably be next, and then maybe one of the Duggar girls - I'd guess Jana over Jill because Jill, although she is 20, still seems like a very "young" 20 and Jana's always seemed older than her age. Whichever one of Jill or Jana doesn't get married will probably be with the family for a while.

I don't see Jessa or Jinger getting married any time soon. Those two are too wordly, and it would be bad press for the Duggars to have one of their teen girls get married, so I think they'd wait til they're in their 20s.

Jessa will be 18 in November (she's only 2 weeks older than my sister).

Jinger is younger.

Jinger is younger, but Jessa will be 19 in November, and Jinger will be 18 in December. Remember how they went skydiving on or around Jessa's 18th b-day?

This site has their b-days:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19_Kids_and_Counting

I also think this is a case where powerful but sexist men have different standards for their own daughters and other women. Other women are less smart, naturally nurturing, meant to be submissive, etc. but their daughters are better than all that and deserve better. My dad was far from fundie but he was exactly like this. He expected my mom to do all the housework and childcare (while holding down a full-time job), he paid less to his female employees than his male ones, he definitely promoted men over women, and even visited prostitutes to feel the power over a woman who had to do whatever he said. But I was different because I was his daughter, and an extension of him. I deserved the best education and the respect of everyone else.

It's sort of like how some men cheat on their wives or even abuse them, but would be pissed off if someone did the same thing to their daughters.

These men know that life sucks for Quiverfull wives and can be downright dangerous and life-threatening. Their cult beliefs tell them that generic women deserve that life because God said so, but their own daughters are special and deserve more. This is especially true in Patriarchal families where the men feel like their children aren't really people but just extensions of their father.

I have wondered a lot about why Jim Bob hasn't been approached with courtship offers. I do think it possible there have been offers but maybe Boob didn't like the young man or his family. I do think Boob and Mullet are probably scared about giving up unpaid labor.

I've often wondered if, after years of being a SAHD, Jana hasn't decided to put off marrying so she can have a smaller quiver.

Dougie's next business scam venture "ROYAL FUNDIE DATING SITE"

Daddy submits a brief "purposeful statement" about his property daughter. He then completes a quiz such as how many kids she wants, what part of the country he she wants to live in, her favorite bible verse...

then the majikal dougie "computer" spits out suitable men which daddy can communicate with, send pics, and arrange to speak to... eventually (maybe) telling his daugher about the fine man dougie god has selected for her!

All this for the low low price of $800 for "registration" and $200 per match...

Edited to fix riffle

I've often wondered if, after years of being a SAHD, Jana hasn't decided to put off marrying so she can have a smaller quiver.

She also seems like she's not particularly fond of being in the limelight, so I wouldn't be surprised if she's not too keen on having her courtship, engagement, and wedding broadcast on national television. I think she could probably be talked into going along with it, but I can't help but the get the feeling that she'd rather stay in the background. This is just idle speculation on my part, but maybe she's waiting till the show's over.

I do know that Sarah Maxwell desparately wants to get married and start her family. She was in tears when Christopher became engaged to Anna (Marie), who was only 24, and younger than her (Sarah). Sarah was literally crushed, even though she was the one who suggested Christopher look into courting Anna.

There have been potential courters, but with everyone of them there is some reason that Sarah declines to move forward. Somewhere in the talking stage, where the courter is corresponding with Steve, something is revealed (perhaps an interest in sports or movies) that slams the door and it's over.

Sarah is bautiful, wise, sweet and any man would be blessed to marry her, and I hope she can fulfill this dream soon.

I often wonder if Sarah, Anna, and Mary lay in bed at night and talk about their future husbands lik my sisters and I used to do.

I do know that Sarah Maxwell desparately wants to get married and start her family. She was in tears when Christopher became engaged to Anna (Marie), who was only 24, and younger than her (Sarah). Sarah was literally crushed, even though she was the one who suggested Christopher look into courting Anna.

There have been potential courters, but with everyone of them there is some reason that Sarah declines to move forward. Somewhere in the talking stage, where the courter is corresponding with Steve, something is revealed (perhaps an interest in sports or movies) that slams the door and it's over.

Sarah is bautiful, wise, sweet and any man would be blessed to marry her, and I hope she can fulfill this dream soon.

I often wonder if Sarah, Anna, and Mary lay in bed at night and talk about their future husbands lik my sisters and I used to do.

That's so sad! It's sickening that Steve has so much control over the life of a woman who is nearly 30. But then again, Sarah has been so isolated and sheltered, it would be far too easy for some sleazy man to take advantage of her or for her to end up in an abusive relationship. It would be a good idea for her to seek a more experienced person's advice before she takes the plunge, but that's a lot different than having to ask Steve for permission. :x

That makes me sad to hear. :( You know them personally, right? I remember on the old board that someone said they knew the Maxwells. If you don't mind my asking, do you think that Sarah is happy with her situation in life overall? If that's too personal of a question and you don't feel comfortable answering it, I completely understand.

I have to admit, Sarah is the SAHD I feel most sorry for. There's just something so lonely about her situation...

Daddy is keeping her trapped and juvenile. She didn't get to enjoy being young in a 'worldly' sense, yet she is also not getting the reward so promised to her...

Could part of the problem be that they've been taught so well to hide their natural emotions that they don't display the normal social cues that let another person know if they're interested? We read a lot about guarding your heart on fundie blogs.

Why should a fundie boy go through the hassle of meeting the dad, going through a list of questions and proving himself if the girl has no interest? Not only that, but most young men are not financially ready to support a wife and kids

ABSOLUTELY!! The Botkinettes go on ad nauseum about relating to EVERY boy/man as their "brother". I would think in the relatively small circles these girls run in that after treating every guy as a brother, it's not going to be long until these boys just see them as sisters in return.

Plus it's obvious that the Botkin kids have been forced to remove an fun or joy out of EVERY life moment (especially relationships) that they really do seem like robots. Who wants to marry a robot unless you're EXACTLY the same way.

QueenMother, would you say it's been Steve turning the guys down, or Sarah? I'm just wondering if any guy passed muster with Steve, but Sarah did not want to go forward (I hope she has the ability to say no if she doesn't want to pursue the relationship).

Also, that's interesting about Sarah encouraging Christopher to pursue non-reversal Anna. Wonder why Christopher needed encouragement? Was there a reluctance on Christopher's part to marry? He took his time doing it. Or maybe he was burned by the failed earlier courtship and reluctant to try again?

I think that maybe the girls in the Duggar and to a lesser degree the Bates' families are not married because being on tv has shattered the "ideal woman" image. We see the rolling eyes, the not so happy looks etc. etc. and so do the potential suitors.

I think TV may be making them undesirable to the potential QF/P in-laws. They are now seen as pretty "WORLDLY" in some of those homes.

I think the Duggar and Bates girls will not go public with any courtship until its a sure thing. After all--they'd have to explain what happened.

Also--as much as we snark on the work the Duggar girls do, let's face it--they aren't having to live on what a young man starting out self-employed will likely make. They can buy NEW clothes on clearance at least, get to do some traveling etc. Being married to a guy you didn't pick, having kid after kid and having to do everything on a shoestring budget may just make living at home look good!

Some parents expect their sons to have a HOUSE paid for and to have savings before they marry as well as having started a business. That's a lot even if you DO start at about 16.

Have these people got no concept of a Dowry?

I find it horrifying to think that anyone would consider the Duggars worldly. Those girls are sheltered beyond belief. Just because they've travelled to so many places doesn't mean they aren't naive.

Some young men may see the Duggar girls as wealthy, too , which wd be something JB DQ should be watching for. Male, dominionist gold-diggers. It could happen!

Have these people got no concept of a Dowry?

I find it horrifying to think that anyone would consider the Duggars worldly. Those girls are sheltered beyond belief. Just because they've travelled to so many places doesn't mean they aren't naive.

I think the other posters meant that the Duggars are worldly compared to their Gothardite/Quiverfull peers, not compared to the general population.

Archived