IGNORED

GirlDefined - fundie-girls-website?

Iamhispurity

Can we talk about GirlDefined? It´s an advice website for Christian girls, run by two sisters. A lot of their posts are pretty fundie to me. Courting, first kiss at the altar, stay-at-home-daughters, etc. Read and enjoy:

http://www.girldefined.com/handle-sexual-desires-single-girl

http://www.girldefined.com/wear-makeup-feminine-god-honoring

http://www.girldefined.com/rethinking-college-planning-smart-future

http://www.girldefined.com/3-major-flaws-safe-sex-education

And this gem: http://www.girldefined.com/show-love-prostitutes-homosexuals-muslims

BTW: are they ATI?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good grief.  If nothing, it oozes self-righteousness.  That is EXACTLY what turned me from religion in the first place.  The "I'm better than you because Jesus" crap.

Imagine this with me: What if we devoted our few short years of singleness to serving in the church, planning women’s events, hosting Bible studies, mentoring the young girls in our community, attending women’s Bible studies, serving our families, taking over some of our parent’s household tasks, preparing family meals, taking care of our grandparents, volunteering in nursing homes or crisis pregnancy centers, baby-sitting for free, writing encouraging notes to friends and family, coordinating events for our family and church, or memorizing scripture with our siblings and young ladies at the church – We would be impacting those around us like crazy!

These are just a few of the ways we as single girls can be extremely productive in serving God and blessing those around us. The list is endless!

And why can't those things be done while in college or a vocational school? Your own apartment? Heaven knows, I did most of these things, plus served as an election judge and was a member of the pro-choice group, and went to school and managed my own house.

http://www.girldefined.com/calling-single-ladies

I'm cackling at this comment on the "How To Handle Sexual Desires" post:

Something that has helped me is avoid any kind of romantic novels, and I try to be very careful with movies. I may watch the short version of Pride and Prejudice, but the long... oh my! Well, I have to be radical, maybe other girls don´t need to do the same.
I also decided to remove Pinterest from my phone because sometimes an impure image is suddenly there.

Good girls don't watch 5-hour-long BBC miniseries because they might start thinking about what else is "long," and then they can't get married anymore.

5 minutes ago, Sobeknofret said:

And why can't those things be done while in college or a vocational school? Your own apartment? Heaven knows, I did most of these things, plus served as an election judge and was a member of the pro-choice group, and went to school and managed my own house.

http://www.girldefined.com/calling-single-ladies

Likewise. I tried to stay home and do that SAHD bit. Was told in no uncertain terms to get a job and move out. So glad for that, and I still managed to serve in the church, host Bible studies, mentor young girls in my community, attend women’s Bible studies, serve my family, take over some of my parent’s household tasks (seriously, I was still doing dishes 3+x a week even though I didn't live there, and I help take care of my teen siblings), take care of our grandparents, baby-sit for free, write encouraging notes to friends and family, coordinate events for our family and church, visit the chronically ill, plus travel on repeat foreign missions once a year, hold down a full-time job, manage my own apartment, etc...all while NOT really impacting those around me "like crazy"!

Imagine this with me: What if we devoted our few short years of singleness to serving in the church, planning women’s events, hosting Bible studies, mentoring the young girls in our community, attending women’s Bible studies, serving our families, taking over some of our parent’s household tasks, preparing family meals, taking care of our grandparents, volunteering in nursing homes or crisis pregnancy centers, baby-sitting for free, writing encouraging notes to friends and family, coordinating events for our family and church, or memorizing scripture with our siblings and young ladies at the church – We would be impacting those around us like crazy!

Except that most of these girls don't have a "few short years of singleness." (I wonder if they know of the Botkinettes.) So what are they going to do when a few short years turn into a decade.

Also, what happens when they get married? They just drop all these activities out of the blue? What if they've become a very integral part of running the church? (For all they chirp about men being teh leaderz, usually there are two or three women who are running the church from behind the scene.) That doesn't seem very charitable, or helpful in the long run.

ETA: *hurk* They recommend the Pearls' books.
http://www.girldefined.com/surviving-relationship-status

In post about (not) going to college she mentions how great College Plus is.  You know, it's cheap.
Yeah. There is a reason for that.

2 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

I'm cackling at this comment on the "How To Handle Sexual Desires" post:

Good girls don't watch 5-hour-long BBC miniseries because they might start thinking about what else is "long," and then they can't get married anymore.

I actually understand this one. Colin Firth coming out of the lake gets the blood pumping. It's my favorite part of the whole series :tw_wink:

One thing that gives me hope is that when I look at  the fundie teen bloggers, a great many of them evolve in their thinking, start seeing more nuance in the world and figuring out their own beliefs(as opposed to quoting mom and dad) as they mature into their 20s.  Many stay fairly conservative, but most of the folks I know who grew up in that world and who are now in their mid20s to mid30s are still very devout, but not so judgy or "black-and-white" in their thinking. Just look at what's been going on with kids of fundies we snark on. 

In my sinful pride I wonder how those people could choose that lifestyle or religion. I think to myself, “Don’t they know how wrong that is?” “Don’t they understand how unfulfilling that is?”

In her sinful ignorance, she doesn't realize that many, many prostitutes didn't choose that lifestyle at all, but were rather forced into it.  It's also telling that she never refers to her as "the woman," just "the prostitute."  

From the comments:

Thank you for posting this! I live in an African country where prostitution and Muslims are not uncommon....it was great to hear some helpful ways to love and encourage them in the Lord!!

Speechless...

2 hours ago, Columbia said:

Except that most of these girls don't have a "few short years of singleness." (I wonder if they know of the Botkinettes.) 

<snip>

ETA: *hurk* They recommend the Pearls' books.

Not only do they know of the Botkinettes, but they recommend books by "Anna and Sophia (sic)". Do these girls even know who they are talking about? Anna and Sofia are one and the same person.  It's Anna Sofia and Elizabeth.

Considering whom these girls recommend their audience read books by, among other things, I wouldn't take their advice on what kind of candy bar to eat, never mind on how to handle relationships and life.

Oh FFS...

http://www.girldefined.com/wear-makeup-feminine-god-honoring

“You have naturally beautiful features,” he said, ” but the amount of makeup you’re wearing seems to be covering them up. As a dad and a man, I think you would look a lot better than you think with less makeup.”

This reads out at about 1000 on my creepy meter...

creepometer.png

And those pesky pimples?  They're a result of the Fall...

Those untimely pimples and red spots (a result of our fallen bodies) get nicely covered up without changing the natural look of my face.

I loved the post about not wanting to go to college. My favorite comment was by someone who wanted to get married and write family friendly books but whose grammar and spelling left much to be desired. The mental gymnastics they all had to do to come up with a reason why going to college is a bad idea is impressive. I am not sure if they were trying to convince themselves or us. I noticed that most commenters didn't even say what they wanted to do in life, just that college was a bad idea for them. My guess is that they are waiting for Prince Charming. Sadly, some of them may be waiting longer than Sarah Maxwell. 

On their "Meet Us" page, they have a photo of themselves as younger kids titled Two Heads, One Brain. :my_confused: Struck me as a rather unfortunate caption.

Can you imagine how Adam must have felt that first moment he laid eyes on Eve? Wow! What a way to get a woman. Not only was Adam getting a companion, lover, and friend, he was getting a woman who would compliment him and help him both physically and spiritually.

:wow: Adam, you are so handsome!

Gee, Adam, you are so :cool:

And, smart, Adam, did I tell you how smart you are?:wow:

3 hours ago, Marshmallow World said:

UGHHH THE MAKE UP POST

Reveal hidden contents

table.gif.2dc217c2be2ca910e1f3664f4a5df4

'Dear Lord Jesus, what do you think about my blue eyeliner? Am I honouring You and presenting a welcoming face with which to share Christ's love when I wear it?'

Honestly, if God exists I think he has better things to think about than 16 year old Kristen's makeup routine. 

I LOVE reading and snarking on them almost as much as listening to Swanson now going after Thr Good Dino. I almost wanted to ask if it's sin still if you lust for a purely fictional character. Btw, anyone look at them and think the movie White Chicks?

I found these girls when I looked up the dumb movie Princess cut. Seriously, watch the trailer. The coffee guy is eeeeviiil for stealing a kiss from her. :naughty: Gotta go to the aisle Disney Princess pure.

Oh god, flashbacks of my 12-15 year old self. I'm cringing. I hope they'll grow out of it, even if they still stay conservative. 

8 hours ago, Yes, TOTALLY said:

'Dear Lord Jesus, what do you think about my blue eyeliner? Am I honouring You and presenting a welcoming face with which to share Christ's love when I wear it?'

Honestly, if God exists I think he has better things to think about than 16 year old Kristen's makeup routine. 

Sorry, Starving Orphans, you're going to have to sit tight while I give Kristen some divine makeup tips.

1 hour ago, JoyfullyUnavailable said:

image.jpeg.4c301ad12b61c845925969e802451

&amp;amp;lt;img class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" data-fileid="9372" data-unique="3jq74dkxf" src="http://www.freejinger.org/uploads/monthly_2015_12/image.jpeg.4c301ad12b61c845925969e8024515fc.jpeg" alt="image.jpeg.4c301ad12b61c845925969e802451"&amp;amp;gt;

The mustard cardigan strikes again? It's getting great mileage. 

This looks like a parody of a fundy blog. Why call out these 3 groups in the same post title? What these "lovely young ladies of The Lord" are basically saying is "these are the top 3 worst things you could be", not a general how-to-love post. And if the wanted to be detailed about the needs of each community, they would have a post devoted to each, I would guess... Whatever they'll say will be cringeworthy 

Well, I call complete bullshit on the prostitute encounter. What self-respecting prostitute would offer this personal information to a random Starbucks customer?  It's a handy little (fabricated) anecdote to illustrate that even the worst types of humans are grateful for her efforts to save their souls, and, of course, for receiving one of those wonderful, life-changing tracts. (I know when I go to Starbucks I always hope some enlightened, godly, moral person will give me one. Alas, it has not yet happened. Sadly, I am still a heathen.)

Good lord the grammar on that website.... I kind of want to pull out a red pen and start marking.

Also, their college post.... How about "I'm stuck in the same worthless job just to pay the bills because I didn't go to college?" Student debt is terrible, but I can assure you, there are fates far worse.

Archived