mango_fandango

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I've seen pictures of Kim wearing clothes that Kanye has apparently "designed" and not only are they extremely unflattering, but she looks very unhappy in the pictures, like she realizes just how ridiculous she appears. The outfits are skin-tight and nude colored and she looks pretty much like she forgot to get dressed.  What kind of man would do that to the woman he loves?  Annette de la Renta always looked lovely because Oscar dressed her in something exquisite.

Sounds like he's playing the headship card...

8 hours ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

Same thing could apply to North, too. I first thought that her name was ridiculous, but it's not so bad now. Saint, on the other hand, is just plain silly.

I don't actually mind North as a name. It's not my taste, but I don't find it that bad. It's just that it's so silly when paired with their last name! If they had a different surname than West, I think it would be fine if a little offbeat. The combination is what kills it.

I don't think the name is that bad for a celeb baby. I think Easton would've been super cute, but they didn't ask me.

It's weird that we now live it a world where "this is how Twitter reacted to something" is news :P

Many Hispanics name their children Jesus and Angel, so what's the difference? I try to not notice what those publicity seekers do. Takes up too much time.

4 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

St John (pronounced like Sinjin) used to be a common name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John_(name)

There was a character on Mad Men named St John Powell.  He was played by Charles Shaugnessey and was an adman from Putman, Powell, and Lowe, the London based agency that took over Sterling-Cooper.

10 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Many Hispanics name their children Jesus and Angel, so what's the difference? I try to not notice what those publicity seekers do. Takes up too much time.

In Hispanic countries, it's quite common to see religiously inspired names like Ascunsion, Concepción, José María, Guadalupe, etc. that would seem strange in English-speaking contexts. Perhaps if England had remained with the Catholic church, such names would be more common in the Anglosphere. I know in France Jean-Baptiste is considered perfectly normal, but it would seem unusual in the US to name a boy John Baptist. Although Hebrew Bible names like Isaiah, David, and Elijah are widespread here, Israel isn't, even though it is fairly common in the Spanish-speaking world. It would be interesting to know what factors make certain religiously inspired names acceptable and other less so, even when both names come from the same text. I know names from the Hebrew Bible became more popular after the Reformation, as a way to show that you didn't believe in the concept of the cult of saints, but that's about it. 

We used to have two brothers named Gray and Timber advertising their used car lot on local television. Care to guess their last name? (You guessed it--Wolfe.)

Archived