IGNORED

Tudor Monastary Christmas - BBC (or Ruth Goodman Rocks!)

HerNameIsBuffy

I just discovered a historical series on the BBC with a couple of archeologists (including Peter Ginn) and a historian (Ruth Goodman) where they live in different eras as they did in the period.  This isn't some reality tv exploativie thing, it's fascinating and so, so fun!

The respect and love they have for the eras is palpable and Ruth has the most infectious love of history and she drags you into her world with such passion.  She's  my new imaginary bff!

This link is for the Tudor Christmas series.  There is also the Victorian Farm, the green valley series (unlike vine valley this aired), Edwardian Farm, and Wartime Farm.

The Brits kick out ASS when it comes to tv and this is n exception.  Ruth had me wanting to build a time machine and I don't like to be dirty or uncomfortable.  Did you know they used human urine they collected for laundry?  And I a toilet elitist and I want to go back...that's how good she is.  

http://youtu.be/7roFzhJFCV8

Oh, fun! I've watched the Edwardian, Victorian, and Wartime series, but hadn't watched the Green Valley or Tudor Monastery series. I love this approach and wish we had more programs like this here in the US.

Thanks for the link to the Tudor Christmas special - I'm going to enjoy it.

It looks like I should start by watching the Tales from the Green Valley series, which will be fun because my husband and I have travelled quite a bit in the area since his family live so near.

The Tudor Christmas special was apparently a spin-off of the Green Valley series, and then they just did the Tudor Monastery series in 2013.

Oooh, lots of binge watching!

More fun - the Christmas one is filmed at Haddon Hall which is my favorite historic house for very sentimental reasons.

My husband and I were married in the church at Burton, near his home village of Heswall, and we took our honeymoon in the Peaks District. The first place we arrived at, after a night closer to home, was Haddon Hall. He hadn't told me where we were going and we were halfway up the drive when he looked at me and said "Well?". He was so disappointed that I didn't realize right away that we were at the "castle" where they filmed my favorite movie, The Princess Bride - he thought he was giving me such a special surprise, but I didn't recognize it!

Well, if you've seen the movie and been to Haddon Hall, you'll know that the outside of Haddon Hall (as seen from halfway down the driveway) is basically seen for 4-5 seconds...

Now if he'd waited until we were inside the courtyard I would have recognized it at once - that area is used in several scenes in the film - the most memorable is probably the one where Buttercup parades out, with Humperdink on the balcony, and the old lady boos at her.

Anyway, it was very sweet of him even though he wasn't patient enough to pull off the surprise, and my kids loved the story when we took them to visit there last time we were in England.

That's such a romantic story...I think it's sweet that Mr. Alyson was so impatient to make you happy. :)

How was wartime farm?  That's the only one I haven't seen.

Did you see 24 hours in the past where they take several British celebrities and they have to work as if in Victorian England?  It's no where near as good as what we're discussing but Ruth was there as an expert and it's better than a lot of reality stuff.  As I had no idea who any of them were it was interesting to watch without my being influenced on their celebrity factor.  I was horrified by the poop shoveling and actually the time they spent in the Victorian workhouse made me appreciate what a brat I am for complaining about my job as often as I do.  Mr. Buffy said I was really making a statement when I had to reach to that in order to feel better about my own life. 

I really disliked the politician but the two actresses really stepped it up - loved them and the guys.

He definitely has his moments!

Wartime Farm was awesome. I've always been impressed with the way the English coped with wartime privations, and they were discussed at length. I think they had a village set up with items that would have been available. Ruth was really challenged!

My 13-1/2 yo daughter and my husband watched Tudor Christmas with me last night. Daughter especially liked it, and we all loved seeing Haddon Hall in use. When we visited in June 2014 the docent told us that the family use the kitchen occasionally for special feasts. After seeing the show last night, I realize that they probably have only been doing that since the show came through and made the kitchen functional again.

Another interesting fact we got from the docent is that the family are back in residence. They had been living in another house on the property because they had just had a baby (or was it twins? I don't have a very good memory), but the baby was ~6mo old and they moved back into the owners apartments in the Hall that summer.

Anyway, daughter wants to watch all of these now :-)

I haven't seen 24 Hours in the Past - I basically only know about English programs if one of the in-laws tell me about them or if they make it to BBC America or PBS. Sounds interesting!

I have watched an episode of that show where there are 3 or 4 people and they take turns making dinner for each other then vote for the winner - my Canadian brother-in-law (husband to my husband's English sister) was on it!

1 minute ago, AlysonRR said:

He definitely has his moments!

Wartime Farm was awesome. I've always been impressed with the way the English coped with wartime privations, and they were discussed at length. I think they had a village set up with items that would have been available. Ruth was really challenged!

My 13-1/2 yo daughter and my husband watched Tudor Christmas with me last night. Daughter especially liked it, and we all loved seeing Haddon Hall in use. When we visited in June 2014 the docent told us that the family use the kitchen occasionally for special feasts. After seeing the show last night, I realize that they probably have only been doing that since the show came through and made the kitchen functional again.

Another interesting fact we got from the docent is that the family are back in residence. They had been living in another house on the property because they had just had a baby (or was it twins? I don't have a very good memory), but the baby was ~6mo old and they moved back into the owners apartments in the Hall that summer.

Anyway, daughter wants to watch all of these now :-)

I haven't seen 24 Hours in the Past - I basically only know about English programs if one of the in-laws tell me about them or if they make it to BBC America or PBS. Sounds interesting!

I have watched an episode of that show where there are 3 or 4 people and they take turns making dinner for each other then vote for the winner - my Canadian brother-in-law (husband to my husband's English sister) was on it!

I love come dine with me!  Bobby Flay tried a knock off here on Food Network but it failed miserably.  You need the British snark to make it work.

So glad your daughter is enjoying the series, I can't get anyone in my family to watch with me.  There is also a stand alone episode of a Tudor Christmas feast where Ruth, Peter, and someone else did an entire feast in the kitchen and it was amazing.  being able to bake and cook by looking at the quality and color of the flames is amazing to me.

i just started Victorian pharmacy last night and it's pretty great, although no Peter and he's missed,.  But I will officially watch anything Ruth has a hand in because I haven't been disappointed yet.

i do have to say I was surprised that when they talk about pies the crusts weren't always considered for eating,. Without pie pans they had to be thick enough to stand alone they certainly toy aren't light and flaky the way I think of a proper crust.

Actually, the Tudor Christmas one is what we watched. We're saving the Tudor Monastery Christmas episode, and the other Monastery episodes, til after Tales of the Green Valley.

Goodness, Victorian Pharmacy? Wow. I know what I'll be doing into 2016!

And yes, Come Dine With Me was the show BIL did. Interesting concept!

OMG. OMG. OMG. OMG. OMG.......OMGGGGGGGG. I am so there. 

Also Lucy Worsley's BBC docs on Netflix are completely Tudorgasmic.

It's so good, makes me feel so fabulous in my fancy new Craigslist antique 4-poster! Also, you all might like "How to Be A Tudor" by Ruth Goodman. IT'S SO GOOD. It isn't released in the US yet but it is in the UK (and the cover design is nicer on that one!!) so I ordered the UK version on eBay here. I can't express how much it is worth every penny. It's funny, interesting, engaging...and it makes things that can be very dry (no matter how much you love the era!) very interesting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-How-to-be-a-Tudor-by-Ruth-Goodman-Hardcover-Book-English-Free-Shipping-/151874565678?hash=item235c6df62e:g:OqkAAOSwu-BWOb6g

I just don't understand why I can't be Lucy Worsley. She gets to do the coolest things! 

article-2382424-1B192F87000005DC-446_634x424.jpg

I don't get those shows here...pooh. I am going to have to Netflix it. I found a show on YouTube a looong time ago where they  would prepare and eat food from differen periods and comment on it. Like the Regency period. It was Brittish and I think the woman was a comedian. It was a good show

38 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

I don't get those shows here...pooh. I am going to have to Netflix it. I found a show on YouTube a looong time ago where they  would prepare and eat food from differen periods and comment on it. Like the Regency period. It was Brittish and I think the woman was a comedian. It was a good show

I watched all on YouTube.  Watching now in fact. :)

I watched Tudor Monastery Christmas.  Very interesting.  I now understand certain Christmas Carols that previously defied logic and understand what Wassailing is.  I don't however want to go back in time.  

• 1 month later...

I just linked @Grimalkin to the first episode of Tudor Monastary Farm on YouTube.

Would anyone be up for a thread to discuss the episodes themselves?  For any (all) of the series?  Like a mini- twop?  Not much to snark on, but would be fun if anyone was interested.  

Im starting fresh with green valley episode 1 today and will work my way though.  

I really with I'd grown up to be Ruth Goodman.  

On 12/8/2015 at 1:01 PM, FundieFarmer said:

OMG. OMG. OMG. OMG. OMG.......OMGGGGGGGG. I am so there. 

Also Lucy Worsley's BBC docs on Netflix are completely Tudorgasmic.

She;s got one out now about Czarist Russia.  I also enjoyed her Regency and Restoration series.

Archived