IGNORED

Terrible fashion advice from ATI

CrackerbackJocks

Wow, that looks like Jim Bob's hair. Yikes.

That's a great link though. Holy hell are they obsessed with countenances. 

Yes.  And, sadly, my hair from my university days. (I didn't wear a girl guides type scarf thing, though. And, although I can't tell from the above picture, I assume my skirt/dress would be much, much shorter :kitty-wink:.)

Well, you know how dangerous eye traps can be.  One must be sure to keep oneself nearly entirely covered (except for the cheerful countenance, of course) to prevent any stumbling by one's brothers.  

I flunked the eye traps test; my eyes were mostly averted from those fashions. 

I always thought countenance meant boobs... 

Awful fashion advice. "God loves ovals"?? I now want to change my face shape..

Nothin' like some stiff-ass, snap-on Lego (tm) hair to draw people's eyes to your countenance.

Isn't that lady's hair far too short? I mean, I thought your hair was supposed to be long and feminine and somehow that made you more "Godly" 

I read Gothard pulled a lot of ideas from "Color Me beautiful" which was popular in the 80s.

That seems accurate.  My mom had a copy of that which often languished on our shelves, but I remember browsing through it and wondering how one determined if one was a winter, spring, summer or fall.  The lists of appropriate v. inappropriate colors is what I remember from leafing through that text, though it had many more images than the Gothard stuff. 

It was interesting to see pages from this booklet again. I specifically noticed 3 things the Duggars (some of them at least) don't follow. 

1. (Item 9 in the booklet) Match your choice of clothing to the occasion or activity. 

How many pages of snark have I read on FJ about Duggars who wear the same style of clothing whether working on a farm, climbing a mountain, or attending a wedding? (And I live in a very casual community. Cowboy hats at the symphony.)

2. (Item 5 in the booklet) Wear clothing that fits properly. 

This section includes a warning against wearing clothing that is too baggy. In some pictures of Michelle, I've noticed that it looks like she has been eaten by her own baggy clothes. 

3. (The last line in section 9) Where no matter of conviction is involved, it is generally good advice not to be the first to adopt a new style, nor to be the last to discard an old one.   (My underlining.)

Can I just say, Michelle's hair? Or is that a matter of conviction because her headship told her so?

Bleah on fashion advice from icky old cult leaders. Choose your clothes and style for yourself. (Sometimes, I choose overly-casual, baggy, and out-of-date. But chose it for myself.)

It was interesting to see pages from this booklet again. I specifically noticed 3 things the Duggars (some of them at least) don't follow. 

1. (Item 9 in the booklet) Match your choice of clothing to the occasion or activity. 

How many pages of snark have I read on FJ about Duggars who wear the same style of clothing whether working on a farm, climbing a mountain, or attending a wedding? (And I live in a very casual community. Cowboy hats at the symphony.)

2. (Item 5 in the booklet) Wear clothing that fits properly. 

This section includes a warning against wearing clothing that is too baggy. In some pictures of Michelle, I've noticed that it looks like she has been eaten by her own baggy clothes. 

3. (The last line in section 9) Where no matter of conviction is involved, it is generally good advice not to be the first to adopt a new style, nor to be the last to discard an old one.   (My underlining.)

Can I just say, Michelle's hair? Or is that a matter of conviction because her headship told her so?

Bleah on fashion advice from icky old cult leaders. Choose your clothes and style for yourself. (Sometimes, I choose overly-casual, baggy, and out-of-date. But chose it for myself.)

"Got fashion advice from icky old cult leader" needs to be a post title, stat.

"Got fashion advice from icky old cult leader" needs to be a post title, stat.

"Gothard Eye for the Straight Guy"

• 1 month later...

Clearly I have been reading way too much about Fundy fashion faux pas.  On my way through the mall this morning (is quicker to get where I'm going by walking through, not around)  I  randomly noticed a woman wearing a blouse with large eyes printed all over it and immediately thought of eye traps.  Which, of course, led to me assessing the outfits of everyone else I passed.  Let me say that 100% of the people I passed failed the eye trap test (including me.)  Colours, patterns, short skirts, cleavage,  pants on women, etc.   And I include a woman in a hijab but wearing skinny jeans.  Clearly we are all going straight to hell.

On December 5, 2015 at 9:14 PM, FrumperSeamstress said:

I always thought countenance meant boobs... 

Awful fashion advice. "God loves ovals"?? I now want to change my face shape..

This would be a great post count title too...

Archived