IGNORED

Another Day In The Neighborhood, Another Mass Shooting

GodsKnickers

Shooting in San Bernardino, CA - possibly 3 shooters still at large - suspicious package left behind

Police in the Southern California city of San Bernardino were responding Wednesday to reports of an active shooter at a social services facility. There were reports of multiple victims, Lt. Rich Lawhead said. Triage units were being set up in the area, and some people were seen being wheeled away on gurneys. Others walked quickly as they were led away by authorities.

No arrests have been made. Police were working to secure the scene in the inland region less than 100 kilometres east of Los Angeles, Sgt. Vicky Cervantes said. At a Shell gas station about a block from the shooting site, store manager Ana Fuentes said there was a flood of police activity in the area.

"There's maybe like 150 cops going toward Hospitality Lane," she said, as sirens echoed in the background. She said she hasn't gotten any instructions to stay inside but that customers coming in told her about the shootings at Inland Regional Center.

The centre says on its website that it provides social services to people with developmental disabilities.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm waiting for the inevitable "if only everyone had been armed, this wouldn't have happened."

At this rate, we don't need to worry about foreign terrorists. We're managing to kill ourselves without much help. This makes me sick.

I'm waiting for the inevitable "if only everyone had been armed, this wouldn't have happened."

At this rate, we don't need to worry about foreign terrorists. We're managing to kill ourselves without much help. This makes me sick.

Or some of the other b******t the gun people inevitably come up with when things like this happen. 

Or some of the other b******t the gun people inevitably come up with when things like this happen. 

Uh...uh....FREEDUMZZZZ

I'm more concerned about white gun nuts than any other type of terrorist. What's especially bad is that the building they targeted is one that provides services to children and adults with developmental disabilities.

I'm more concerned about white gun nuts than any other type of terrorist. What's especially bad is that the building they targeted is one that provides services to children and adults with developmental disabilities.

That's what doesn't make any sense. Why this business? If it were someone just disgruntled with their job, I would think that person would be very unlikely to get 2 others on board with shooting up the place.

I've been trying to find out info on what Inland Regional Center does, and I don't see anything that would invoke this kind of rage (like the PP shooting--yeah, not justified, but inevitable with all the rhetoric about "ZOMG!!111 teh dead babeez!!!!").

The closest thing I've been able to find (it came up in the top 4 google results) was that the center had sex ed classes for the developmentally disabled. Would that be enough to get some whackos pissed?

But: 3 highly-armed, masked and (possibly) body-armor-wearing shooters: Sounds like "terrorism" to me.

ETA: An "outside group" was renting the conference facility in the Inland Regional Center, and this is apparently where most of the shooting took place (??). I wonder who this group was and if the shooters had beef with them. The websites for Inland Regional appear to be down right now due to high traffic.

That's what doesn't make any sense. Why this business? If it were someone just disgruntled with their job, I would think that person would be very unlikely to get 2 others on board with shooting up the place.

I've been trying to find out info on what Inland Regional Center does, and I don't see anything that would invoke this kind of rage (like the PP shooting--yeah, not justified, but inevitable with all the rhetoric about "ZOMG!!111 teh dead babeez!!!!").

The closest thing I've been able to find (it came up in the top 4 google results) was that the center had sex ed classes for the developmentally disabled. Would that be enough to get some whackos pissed?

But: 3 highly-armed, masked and (possibly) body-armor-wearing shooters: Sounds like "terrorism" to me.

I know in conservative, pro-life discourse that disabled people are fetishized and objectified as "angels" and "precious," and would consider the idea of sullying the "innocence" of such people with sex education to be horrifying. Such a view ignores the fact that disabled people have a normal spectrum of sexual identities, and it's not uncommon for teens and adults with disabilities to go to libraries and/or the Internet to get the information their parents and teachers refuse to give them. The idea that disabled people are entitled to reproductive and sexual freedom is why the US refuses to sign that UN treaty on the rights of the disabled, even though it's based on our own ADA.

However, I can't see a sex ed class leading to three masked men shooting up a facility for the disabled and possibly planting a bomb. Sex ed can be a prickly topic, but not in the same way abortion is. The only thing I can think of is that it's a soft target with some of the most vulnerable targets imaginable, which would make it attractive to terrorists. The facility is government-run, so it could be motivated by anti-government sentiments. However, given how people recoiled at the carnage wrought by the Oklahoma City bombing, killing disabled people is not going to inspire the masses to rise up against the government. Not that anyone who would commit this attack is motivated by the same logic you and I use. I guess we'll get more information soon.

I'm not going to speculate on motive or anything like that at this time. It's too early on and - last I knew - the shooting was still ongoing.

I will keep the victims, their families, and the first responders in my thoughts. No one should ever be confronted with this type of evil - I sincerely hope that no one else is killed or harmed.

To those of you in the area - please stay safe!

My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families. When is the violence going to stop? (rhetorical question)

I heard that the place where the shooting was had been rented to an outside group

Which, according to the news, if they're to be believed, had been rented out to a group of government workers for a holiday party. If this is true, and the multiple "experts" on CNN etc, are to be believed when they figure it's a domestic militia group, that would answer the question of who and why.

But, I think I'll just wait and see what actually comes out once they get a better handle on what they're dealing with.

IRC provides services mainly (nearly exclusively) to autistic children and children/adults on the AS.  They mostly do a good job although I could see one motive being a disgruntled parent/family.  This hits VERY close to home in many ways.  Developing situation and I hope this resolves soon and without more bloodshed, particularly among those who care for children or the mentally ill.

ABC News is saying that all the suspects have been killed or arrested. The police are still looking for possible explosives.

Sadly this isn't the case.  There is still one suspect at large in San Bernardino that they are looking for and one laying in the back of an SUV that SWAT is trying to take care of.  It's still not over.

They seem to be to several houses in a certain neighborhood. The copters are up and reporting everything. This has taken up all the local stations since it happened. They keep moving the SWAT vehicles. It's getting dark now and it's going to get cold out there.  

Why would they attack a center for developmentally disabled children and adults?Sad. Sad. Sad. 

Uh...uh....FREEDUMZZZZ

Hell there are times I'd move to Canada tomorrow if I could and stay up there.  Today is one of those times.  

I really wonder how helpful CNN is being to any suspect who may be holed up, possibly with tv access. They are providing quite a great deal of information about the police activity. 

Watching live news coverage, the helicopter reporter called out the looky-loos who  are standing on their roofs with phones, ipads and cameras trying to get a peek as SWAT surrounds a neighborhood church.

Watching live news coverage, the helicopter reporter called out the looky-loos who  are standing on their roofs with phones, ipads and cameras trying to get a peek as SWAT surrounds a neighborhood church.

Whenever horrible shit happens now you get the "stand around with a phone" crowd watching like it's a movie. There's a serious disconnect going on with that. It disturbs me greatly. It's not a movie or a game. People are getting killed ffs. 

And to attack a center for the developmentally challenged makes no sense at all. What is happening to us? The world is losing more of it's humanity each day.

My friend works two miles from there and they evacuated her building. She heard rumors that the people shot were county employees from the Department of Public Health, having a holiday party. This is such a tragic situation.

Did you all read this article about a Republican lawmaker who is wanting to retract his previous opposition to research on gun violence? http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/02/politics/jay-dickey-gun-violence-research/index.html

Whenever horrible shit happens now you get the "stand around with a phone" crowd watching like it's a movie. There's a serious disconnect going on with that. It disturbs me greatly. It's not a movie or a game. People are getting killed ffs. 
And to attack a center for the developmentally challenged makes no sense at all. What is happening to us? The world is losing more of it's humanity each day.

I don't think we ever had much to start with, to be honest.

I don't think we ever had much to start with, to be honest.

True, we didn't. But for a little while it looked like we were moving forward. I've almost felt hopeful at times that we could have a peaceful world one day. But lately it just feels like it's all gone for a giant dump again. 

Archived