IGNORED

Parents Are Naming Their Babies After Instagram Filters

purple_summer

4 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

It's been three years, so I'd really like to know what became of baby Hashtag.

He is now toddler hastag. Wait 12 years more and shit will hit the fan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

He is now toddler hastag. Wait 12 years more and shit will hit the fan

I'll give in 9 years, given that it seems that most of the internet is 12 year olds :P

Names are so interesting to me. I'm a writer and I spend  lot of time naming characters. I mostly use Behind the Name for this, which gives the origin of each name. A lot of the time this will be something like, "Comes from a word meaning "melodious" in Old French," so apparently the idea of random words turning into names has been around for awhile. 

For awhile I was in a writing group that was completely obsessed with names to a level that drove me crazy. They would insist that characters' names be changed if someone in the group didn't like them, and of course for practically every name in existence there was at least one member who hated it because that was the name of the girl who teased them in junior high, or it was their sister's name and it would be weird to read about a character with the same name as their sister, or whatever. One member in particular was obsessed with the meaning of the name fitting the character. So if your character's name meant "strength" and he was small and weak, she would insist that you change it. I said this wasn't realistic because nobody knows what sort of person their kid is going to turn out to be when they choose a name. I finally quit changing names at their request because they were just impossible to please. 

As others have said, I think it's more likely that people are realizing Instagram filters would make good baby names than it is that they're naming their kids AFTER Instagram filters. 

Late to the party... but I know two families whose surnames are Ludwig and Reyes.  Pretty sure they existed long before Instagram filters. :D  Mr Ludwig is an OB who is a reserved proper man... while the Reyes family would have such a laugh at people naming their kids that as a first name!! sooo love the Reyes.   I'd say the clan (grandma, four married kids and all the grandies) would number over 30 people of fun laughing hilarious people. :D 

How is Reyes pronounced? Reese, Rays, Raya? 

people should consider that cute babies grow up into adults. It's better to grow into a name than out of a name.

This weekend, I'm singing in a concert with several children's choirs (with kids as young as four). The names of all the participants are printed in the program and just for fun I looked through all the kids' names to see if there were any crazy ones. There were a few that you don't see as often but they were all actual names, nothing that seemed made up or with a kreativ spelling.

I read an article awhile back that basically said that the generation currently having kids sees their parents' and maybe grandparents' names as out dated, but if you go back a generation before that, names that were popular then sound sophisticated and classy to many new parents today, hence the upswing in popularity of "old lady/man" names. I think the article suggested that in 25 years or so, people will start naming their kids Karen and Barbara and Debbie again, but Ashley and Kaitlyn and Brittany will be thought of as old-fashioned "parent" names. 

Archived