IGNORED

Parents Are Naming Their Babies After Instagram Filters

purple_summer

From Time 

Ludwig, Amaro, Reyes, Hudson and Kelvin also increased in popularity for boy names, while baby girls were named Juno, Valencia and Willow.

From Vanity Fair 

The Web site BabyCenter has released its 2015 baby-names survey, and contained within the data is evidence of a troubling trend: people are naming their babies after Instagram filters. Yes, per a BabyCenter press release today, “Many of Instagram’s filter names are gaining in popularity as baby names including Lux (up 75 percent since 2014), Ludwig (up 42 percent), Amaro (up 26 percent), Reyes (up 10 percent), Hudson (up 4 percent), and Kelvin (up 3 percent) for boys. Additionally, Valencia (up 26 percent), Juno (up 30 percent), and Willow (up 13 percent) are on the rise for girls.” 

http://time.com/4130646/baby-names-instagram-2015/ 

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2015/12/instagram-filters-baby-names 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's stupid. 
However, do all these names gain popularity just because of Instagram? I mean, Ludwig is perfectly normal, old-fashioned name. At least at my country. If I named a kid Ludwig, people would ask me if it's my grandpa's name not about Instagram. 

Some of those names are okay. I wouldn't use them and I think it's stupid to name your child after an instagram filter, but I wouldn't do a double take at any of them if I saw them in a year book. 

(And not to be mean, but every one of those names is better than Spurgeon)

Fascinating how Vanity Fair calls it a troubling trend. As strange as these names may sound to the Jims, Bobs and Johns out there, those are all still legit names.  A troubling name is "Depressed Cupboard Cheesecake" which, yes, is the birth name of a living, breathing human existing in our world right at this moment. I know a few Hudsons, a Lux (Lux Aeterna = Eternal Light in Latin. It's also a kick-ass score by Clint Mansell, best known as "that one song from Requiem for a Dream") and I know lots of Willows. All of whom were born before 2012.

That said, if some kid named Ludwig or Reyes so much as looks at me in a Brooklyn cheese shop or wherever the hell kids like that are going to be found, I’m calling up the orphanage and having them taken away on the spot. They’re free to exist, these crassly named children, but I don’t want ’em around me. So, congratulations on your new twins, Rose Gold and HyperWalk, but I don’t want to meet them.

I suppose he means to be funny but really that's quite uncalled for, there have been people called Ludwig and Reyes etc.  long before Instagram. Juno could be gaining popularity since the movie of that name and there's Willow Smith. Valencia is a town in Spain so it goes with Brooklyn and siblings Sydney, Paris, Savannah, London, and Orlando.

I think many of these people probably didn't consciously think, "hey let's name our kid after instagram filters".  Rather, you see the word more often and you unconsciously become more familiar with the name and so it's more likely to pop up in your mind when you want a name for your baby. The same thing happens with many baby name trends i think.

Anyway, shouldn't he take it out on the parents and not on the kids?

I think this is another case of confusing correlation (some degree or appearance of relationship between two phenomena) and causation (one phenomenon drives another.)

Plus, some of those names are perfectly reasonable, as has been noted previously.

Eh I htink people can name their kids whatever they want if they dont like it that's why the legal system has a process to change it

At least it isn't Xaqurie. 

Ahem! If any fundies are reading here, don't give them any ideas! :laughing-jumpingpurple:

It will be interesting to see what Social Security's list looks like. I do agree it might be correlation rather than causation (increasing familiarity with the names) although I would not put it past people to give their children names based solely off seeing them on instagram.

Ahem! If any fundies are reading here, don't give them any ideas! :laughing-jumpingpurple:

Fathom and Xaqurie are going to be the fundie names of the future! 

As others have said, I'm sure it's just that instagram is making people more aware of those names and not that people are intentionally naming kids after filters. Those are at least perfectly normal names on their own.

Back in my early 20s when I was at the height of self-centred self, I'd have been terribly tempted to name my baby something unique and out there. Except knowing my maturity level back then, I'd have done something idiotic like name the poor kid after some favourite hair product like "Sun-In". Or "Balsalmic" because I loved that vinegar. Still do. Lucky for my kids that I never had any. Seriously, I'm not mature enough even now.  

It reminds me of a time in the 80's when I noticed people in a rough city near us seemed to be naming their children after Renaissance artists with some frequency.  I was impressed until I discovered they were also the names of Ninja Turtles.

Eh, at least they're actually names and not "Duvet". I shit you not. Duvet, as in duvet cover. 

Eh I htink people can name their kids whatever they want if they dont like it that's why the legal system has a process to change it

My parents gave me a crazy name.  There's a process to change it, but it cost me several hundred dollars, and I couldn't afford to do it until after I was able to save the money, which meant getting a start in my career field and starting a resume under a terrible name.  It took a lot of years to switch my name professionally.

And this doesn't even get started on the teasing from kids in school.

Parents shouldn't get to name their kids whatever they want.  If a parent wants to name their son Kunt Licker (my uncle's ex-wife refused, even though he said it would tell "the ladies" what he's good at, and I swear that uncle is an asshole), should that be allowed because he can change it later?  Pandora Astraea Radagast Annextiomarus DalÃa Ondine Xeziriq Amethyst L is a real name a real-life child has.  Adolf Hitler and his sister Aryan Nation and their other sibling whose name I can't remember are also real little kids.  Phelony, Hashtag, Xerox, So'Unique, Uteraz, Adorabell, Budz Kronik, Abcde, and Vagena are all also names really given to kids.

There should be rules, that are mindful of cultural names, to protect kids from being named by idiots and stuck growing up with names that have a higher than usual change of resulting in a lot of bullying or other harm.

I very, very strongly disagree with this statement. It is not that easy to change one's name (and it costs money). Also, the child has to live 18 years with that name before they can even begin the process of changing it. You can completely ruin a person's life with the name you give them.

I also have very strong feelings regarding any kind of stereotyping because of the name a child was given, but do you honestly believe a child named Adolf Hitler will have a happy childhood? Will be treated fairly by his teachers? Will ever have friends come over to his house? Will be able to do a summer internship in high school? Fuck no.

Seriously, I am so glad you can't give your kid any shitty name you want here in Germany.

For the record, I think most of the names from the articles are perfectly fine.

I very, very strongly disagree with this statement. It is not that easy to change one's name (and it costs money). Also, the child has to live 18 years with that name before they can even begin the process of changing it. You can completely ruin a person's life with the name you give them.

I also have very strong feelings regarding any kind of stereotyping because of the name a child was given, but do you honestly believe a child named Adolf Hitler will have a happy childhood? Will be treated fairly by his teachers? Will ever have friends come over to his house? Will be able to do a summer internship in high school? Fuck no.

Seriously, I am so glad you can't give your kid any shitty name you want here in Germany.

Have to agree with you on both points there. Same in Austria - you can´t name a kid eg. Bus Undertaker because just for funsies....

For the names, especially Ludwig, Hudson, Kelvin and Willow are more like Hipster dime-a-dozen names, that would not stick out like a sore thumb ( unlike poor Baby Hashtag, I wanted to make a joke, had no idea... :my_confused:)

In 20 years nobody will know to tell apart if Kelvin was named after his great-uncle or a photo filter.

My parents named me after my mum´s all-time favorite artist and three of my brothers for a swiss writer my dad  admires and his favorite bishop and roman authority (daddy´s a history nut).  That  names are however completely normal, nice, conservative names in german-speaking countries so nobody will ever know.

I am in high favour to name a child a solid, goes-with(almost)-everything first name. For overly personal notes, that´s what 2nd, 3dr, 4th names are. That´s how we did it with our kids too.

You have no idea how glad I am, either. And it's not like the lists of names are really limited, it's just that your oh-so-speshul-juuneeq name choice will have to be approved by the authorities and if there's potential that the name(s) could be harmful (c.f. depressed cheesecake and duvet) to your kid, you need to come up with another, more suitable choice. 

I'm rarely not in favor of too much government involvement in private matter, but bearing a name is one of the most important aspects of human existence. A name gives us an identity, "nomen est omen" is not some weird TV show catchphrase, it's just the truth. So if you're unlucky and you've got shitty parents that don't care at all about your well-being and future identity in society, then thank God German officials will tell your parents off and you won't end up the ridicule of others. 

Archived