IGNORED

Growing Up Quiverful Kristina Miner - MERGED

jinseng

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you!  I searched and didn't find it.  All merged now.  :special-snowflake1:

• 2 months later...

Have we discussed this video? I stumbled upon it today  it's just over an hour long, but it's good . 

I feel that it's either been here or FB but I hope to watch all of it. I couldn't the first time and then I lost it. Thanks for posting.

1 hour ago, divadivine said:

Have we discussed this video? I stumbled upon it today  it's just over an hour long, but it's good . 

I dug out the old thread for you. :)

I found Kristina incredibly articulate.  I would love to have a follow up interview.

20 hours ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

I dug out the old thread for you. :)

I found Kristina incredibly articulate.  I would love to have a follow up interview.

Thanks! 

Kristina is extremely articulate. Thankfully her parents felt it was important for her to go to a real, accredited college. Thank goodness she was strong enough to get out of the crazy! 

On 2 december 2015 at 7:44 AM, foreign fundie said:

In a country with the highest percentage of it's population behind bars, often for minor offences, it is beyond me that the Pearls roam free. A presidential candidate that would promise to outlaw their book and send them off to a place where they will never encounter a minor has my vote.

Yes! In many countries it's illegal to ever spank or beat children (I read somewhere that it is legal in parts of/whole of USA?). Maybe the Pearls could still get jail time on the grounds of encouraging child abuse or something? One can dream.

I somehow missed the point of blanket training where the Pearls advocate enticing the child with something, then smacking them for trying to get it. The whacking was bad enough, but the enticing is downright evil and crazy-making. How on earth can you trust your parents or caregivers when they appear to be giving you a treat, then turn around and hurt you? Michael Pearl is the devil incarnate.

4 hours ago, Queen said:

Yes! In many countries it's illegal to ever spank or beat children (I read somewhere that it is legal in parts of/whole of USA?). Maybe the Pearls could still get jail time on the grounds of encouraging child abuse or something? One can dream.

Corporal punishment of children in the home is legal in all states, even if (thankfully) it's started to fall out of favor in many areas. It's actually still legal in schools in a few states, too. 

Considering To Train Up a Child was released like 20 years ago, I'd say if we haven't seen any prosecution by now we won't ever. Either because it wouldn't hold up in court, or because there's simply not enough public interest in the cases. 

There's a Mennonite-run store in my area that has some unique and interesting items, but I avoid it because the last time I was there I saw TTUAC and I can't support that.  I was shocked that it took until 1985 for New York to ban corporal punishment in public schools.

"At home, it felt like a battlefield."

This brought back so many awful ... not memories, necessarily, but *feelings*. Those feelings of being trapped with nowhere to go and no one to help. It's been more than 20 years, but man, those feelings don't go away. And her description of going to the conferences and seminars, where everyone is so smiley and dressed up and perfect -- and then you go home. I always thought my family was broken and damaged. But as more people get out and talk, I realize that we all were. We were all just hiding it.

Fundy kids are the best little actors ever. 

I'm glad she's out, and I'm glad she's speaking out.

• 10 months later...

Hi guys! 

For those of you who had watched the interview Chris Shelton (a researcher on cults)  did with an IBLP survivor, they did a detailed, documentary-style follow up. 

(If this is in the wrong thread, please correct. Thanks!) 

Here it is: 

Very watchable! Not Spielberg quality but it does not mince words. I missed, in the first documentary, that the male narrator is a Scientology survivor! 

Chris Shelton has a ton of experience with cults--he was a Scientologist. Now he puts out videos.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Shelton has another IBLP doc (an interview with Kristiana Miner who was raised Quiverfull). The snippets he shows from Michael Pearl are literally chilling.

Archived