IGNORED

Growing Up Quiverful Kristina Miner - MERGED

jinseng

Yes she was a good few years back now. I of course have no proof anymore as it was all deleted. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:nothingtoadd:

Haven't gotten all the way through yet, but wanted a placeholder to come back and watch! Thank you for the find. I'm very interested in what she has to say.

Really gothard, patterns? And her parents actually said that she needed an education. So they sent her to real school.  I often wonder wtf are these parents thinking joining a cult .

On 12/3/2015 10:08:42, TheSilverTongue said:

I thought the Pearls were just old fashioned it's okay to spank sometimes folks. After seeing that video, he doesn't seem like an old timesy disciplinarian, type, but a psycho. His wife too.

Even if you're okay with spanking I don't see how you'd be okay with that. The point of discipline (any discipline from spanking to time out) is NOT to make your child loose all will and live in fear, but to teach them about how to be a good person. 

I don't get how anyone can defend the Pearls. They aren't you're typical old fashioned family. They're just controlling. 

That clip was sickening.  I don't know how this guy has followers. 

On 12/1/2015, 9:35:38, nst said:

I don't really want to watch the video after the whole eating your child notes 

what exactly happens - is it like the movie Alive 

because that is just wrong and creepy 

I know someone who was gifted with  a copy of the book Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors to read on a long plane trip.  And yes, the giver was completely oblivious to the irony. 

"I thought the Pearls were just old fashioned it's okay to spank sometimes folks. After seeing that video, he doesn't seem like an old timesy disciplinarian, type, but a psycho. His wife too."

End of quote (Sorry don't know how to quote from old quote boxes!)

Yes, his wife. It really takes two to run a child abuse ministry. He couldn't do it if she wasn't smiling at his side. And why smile? If it was about sincere discipline she would sit there looking grave, facing the unpleasant but necessary reality of child punishment. But she enjoys it. I don't know what about this whole thing she enjoys,  but really, there is nothing here that justfies that creepy smile. 

5 hours ago, foreign fundie said:

"I thought the Pearls were just old fashioned it's okay to spank sometimes folks. After seeing that video, he doesn't seem like an old timesy disciplinarian, type, but a psycho. His wife too."

End of quote (Sorry don't know how to quote from old quote boxes!)

Yes, his wife. It really takes two to run a child abuse ministry. He couldn't do it if she wasn't smiling at his side. And why smile? If it was about sincere discipline she would sit there looking grave, facing the unpleasant but necessary reality of child punishment. But she enjoys it. I don't know what about this whole thing she enjoys,  but really, there is nothing here that justfies that creepy smile. 

He broke Debi on their honeymoon. She's a victim, too. That doesn't mean she's not a perpetrator, though. 

content warning: emotional abuse and sexual assault http://www.freejinger.org/topic/15005-michael-pearls-book-for-men/

I really want to make my 75th post. I've seen people do it for less.

So thank you Halcionne for that brief and disturbing thread about the Pearls. I keep avoiding them. But I'm getting sucked in. I asked here and saw people had asked in that thread as well, do we know anything about either of their childhoods ?

And ps - I just want to say to Defrauder (if you're out there lurking somewhere). Thank you for being such a complete flipping idiot that you inspired me to come out of my own lurkerdom and start posting. It was one of the smarter things I did this year.:special-snowflake1:

Disturbing thread. And surprising that this level of crazy has somehow found acceptance. Agreed, she was/is a victim and became a perpetrator. But you know who also are perpetrators? All the people who endorse this, look up to them, validate the 'ministry' by using their resources and who spread their teaching.

By proxy that may include TLC for giving this brand a platform.

Edited to add: Had everybody around Debi had enough common sense to call her husband for what he is, she might have taken her chances and ran. But hey, who runs from fame? Fame is the last thing they, or the Duggars or anyone else in this sick system needs.

I think a lot of you would be surprised about how many people follow the Pearl method with out ever hearing of them. I had never heard of them until browsing here a year ago but I had certainly come across their general principles.

Not necessarily blanket training but the general idea of hitting/spanking as a means of training a child and not just discipline. I grew up in rural NC and in grade school many of my classmates would talk about getting beat with switches they picked and braided for very thin reasons. I also had a friend's mom slap a friend across the face so hard she fell in my living room for asking if she was allowed to say the word Whore after my mom and I had used the word. 

I've had someone say that if it worked for the slaves in the olds days it must be good enough for children today. It's super gross and terrible but also extremely common, at least in my experience. 

So, I finally had an hour to listen to this. Thanks to the OP for sharing. I've read a ton about the Pearls here, but seeing their video excerpts makes their whole system real for me. I was physically shaking by the end of that segment.

I really appreciate the efforts of everyone here, at Recovering Grace, and all the other advocates for women and children trapped in this lifestyle. It's so needed and there is so far to go.

• 4 weeks later...

I am bumping this thread because I finally had time to watch this and think about it. It really struck me as how insidious the brainwashing really is. She had more opportunity than most fundies, being able to go to a real college and move out. Even then, it took her years to break out of it because she was so brainwashed. Even in the real world.

We make comments here a lot about how we want this Duggar or that to leave when they are 18, but its not that simple. They are so brainwashed into believing their parents are the authority and that defying them is defying God. It gives me very little hope for those who are born into IBLP/ATI and don't have the opportunity to explore outside of the cult through school. It gives me more respect for those who have left.

I found a really interesting interview on YouTube with a young women who grew up quiverfull. She talks about her family being pulled into these teachings through home-schooling and what they learned about being a solider for Christ. Referencing the Duggars and other ATI teachings. https://youtu.be/9WQy4LGUQRg She seems so honest when telling her story. 

P.S. - If there is another place to put this Quiverfull interview please go ahead and move it there.  

I watched the whole video on YouTube. Kristiana is a brave woman to come forward and speak about growing up in the Qiverfull cult. It was a really interesting interview.   

I liked reading everyone's comments, but I need to get somewhere I can watch this sometime. 

I posted this video on my Facebook because I really feel that people don't understand that religious extremism is so dangerous in all its flavors. I have many friends that are very right wing and are very anti Muslim because of extremism while at the same time are planning to vote for a president that is more than willing to stand up and pander to these people. they surely don't realize the extent of this extremism hiding behind "good Christian values". All I can say to that is 40 years ago Afghanistan allowed women to walk around uncovered in stylish, modern clothes, hold jobs, go to school, and then extremism began to creep in. I legitimately fear that for America. My only hope is that these people continue to shun education, making it difficult to get money and power

Chris Shelton has a very interesting You Tube channel.  I discovered him thru the Underground Bunker.  His conversation with Lloyd Evans (ex-JW) is worth watching too.

I've got a new puppy dog and I'm starting him on a beginning obedience class next week. I attended a pre-meeting without the dogs this week. One of the things the trainer went over with us was to warn us that if we'd had classes in the past with other dogs that we might find things different. In the past rather harsh training methods were in vogue, telling people they needed to dominate their dogs. They have found those methods to be ineffective. When your puppy misbehaves you do not punish him, you can startle them, distract them, take them somewhere else to interupt the behavior, but don't swat, scream, or roll them over. Positive methods to reward good behavior work much better. She warned us we could be expelled from class if we abuse our pets.

If they figured out it doesn't work for dogs, when will they realize the same applies to children?

• 3 months later...

I don't know if this has been shared here yet. I just watched this interview with Kristina Miner about growing up in the Quiverfull culture. It is long but fascinating to hear first hand.

Trigger warning - contains videos of the Pearls demonstrating their child beating techniques on a doll and child abuse apologetics.

This has been discussed before, yes. She was one of the lucky ones, in a way. Well, being a firstborn female I can relate but I'm thankful my parents didn't go to this many extremes. But she was allowed to go to a legitimate higher education college, and one where she actually had to be in dorm; couldn't just live at home and commute. And allowed to work outside the home even though she couldn't move out without getting married first.

No, Josh wasn't in a courtship with her or her sister, or if she was she didn't say. I thought it was the Holt family where Josh supposedly was interested in one of their daughters, but there's no solid proof of it.

Archived