IGNORED

Satan(like Gothard) likes pretty teen girls

formergothardite

They did that on purpose because they really, truly think that their defense of Gothard's behavior is so good that people who read both pages will be convinced that DG is correct. That is how delusional and out of touch these people are. Reminds me of Jim Bob and MIchelle. 

Bolded is mine.

I'm getting the exact feeling I got when they tried to defend Josh. These people are completely oblivious (or blinded by faith/admiration for Gothard and he's teachings) that they can't see that even their watered down, less than truthful descriptions of what happened still sound incredibly inappropriate to most people. Like with Josh: it was over the clothes... only for a few seconds, and with Gothard: He needs to spend more time with the pretty ones to protect them from the devil.  

I guess this is just what people look like when the foundation of their beliefs is shaken and they're desperately trying to hold on.

They truly are the best satire of themselves.  

He needs to spend more time with the pretty ones to protect them from the devil.  

They truly are the best satire of themselves. I would feel pity for them if these twisted beliefs didn't damage so many vulnerable people.  

When they post this crap, it's like they have absolutely zero insight as to how it could be interpreted! It comes across as SO CREEPY and they just have no clue. It blows my mind. There is a serious problem if your statement defending someone's creepy behavior is even creepier than the creepy behavior itself. :pensive:

At the bottom of their "About Us" page the last line reads, May the Name of Jesus be exalted in all that goes on here.

I think it's more like May the Name of Bill be exalted in all that goes on here.

What a depressing site to read.

See, the devil sure spends extra time on the pretty ones, because he gets so much more mileage out of time invested in them than in the unattractive ones. The movie stars, the athletes . . . the just “gorgeous” ones. People instinctively like them and follow them. Argue all you want about what should be . . . can you tell me I am wrong? So . . . why in the world would Bill not spend more time on them as well, for the same reasons?

Just like Jesus did! Oh, wait... 

• 4 weeks later...

Discovering Grace and Alfred are continuing to be total assholes. The only people are going to accept anything written on this page are people who are deep into the cult and in total denial that Bill could do anything wrong.

He has a post about how sooooo many people who speak against Bill never even attend the Basic Seminar. He tries to imply that a lot of the regulars on RG haven't even seen it, but gets called out on that so he has to back peddle a bit. 

Here’s what I’ve observed here ad nauseum: Someone challenges a Gothard teaching. Alfred says Gothard didn’t actually teach that, have you been to a seminar? Although the teaching is something that is well-known in Gothardland. He said it, but he can’t defend it, so now he’s saying he didn’t exactly say it like that, and certainly didn’t mean for people to take it to “extremes.”

You even said on this very thread this very day – “Bill was always changing things.” LOL, that’s kind of the point, sir. He changes prn (as needed) to first manipulate, then second, to skirt responsibility. You also said, “He expected his message to be communicated exactly as he intended, without deviation. To him it was the height of betrayal to counter any part of it.” But he was “always changing things.” Is the cognitive dissonance evident, or do I need to explain?

Your loyalty is frightening, just my humble opinion, nothing new.

Alfred you don’t have to be a forger to recognize bad money, in fact the Secret Service trains by studying the real stuff. In our case its the Word of God is the real stuff. You don’t have to attend the Seminar to know its not all good. I rarely go to movies but generally a 30 second trailer is all I need to see to continue that practice of not going. Sometime enough of the wrong theology is enough make a decision to stay away.

And then we get this lovely smack down of Alfred:

That some critics have not attended is only relevant if you use them as straw men. Why not limit your dialogue to those who know what they are talking about and ignore the uninformed.
And also consider that Gothard limiting access to his materials smacks of trying to avoid informing critics, not a very loving approach. For the record, I attended at least two basics, at least one advanced, two legislators seminars, a mens seminars and was present when much of the material was revisited in related meetings. and we did ATIA for about 10 years. I have all the materials and am happy to engage on the facts of what he taught and how he misapplied and uniquely interpreted scripture, something that was impossible to do during a seminar week given the lack of context for ANY of his legion of scriptural appropriations.

Of course, to Alfred, nothing is Bill's fault, EVER!

As a 40 year veteran of all things Bill and IBLP I just disagree . . . that these are things that Bill taught. I have heard him sigh and complain on more than one occasion on how zealous people would take his teachings to extremes he never intended. Also mentioned those that began to “judge” others for not keeping the standards he was promoting, so putting him and his ministry in a bad light.

And finally, after all these years, Alfred is able to reveal the name of the elusive Jewish doctor who told Bill that there are no such things as mental illnesses, just varying degrees of selfish people!

The Jewish psychologist we believe to be Thomas Szasz

Except, apparently not even the all knowing Alfred knows for sure because he has to say "we believe" not "it was". He talks to Gothard, why not call him up and ask to make sure?  

Dt Thomas Szasz was an interesting individual.  The Wikipedia article on Szasz has a good run-down of his beliefs as well as some great critiques of his work.

Thomas Szasz

ETA: Dr Szasz that drugs should be legalized, that persons should have the right to commit suicide (aka death control) much as they have the right to control their fertility and he was an atheist.

I've just finished two books about North Korea, and the similarities between Gothard and Kim Jong il/Jong Un are startling.

Oh, and I'd be much obliged to learn which male figure in "Anne of Green Gables" is supposed to be a Gothardesque mentor. Matthew Cuthbert was a painfully shy father figure who was hard put to say more than a couple of words at a time to Anne or anyone else, and I recall just one visit from the minister, who went to see Anne when she fell off the roof and broke her ankle.

Anne's mentors were almost exclusively women.

By an old fashioned man, does he mean one who wishes no one cared when old men married young girls? 

Just let it go, gotherdites. Its over.

:TrainWreckMotion:

This is a very interesting comment about the 80's scandal. Of course Alfred doesn't buy any of it because Gothard did no wrong, ever. 

http://www.discoveringgrace.com/2015/11/22/shepherd-of-the-hills/#comment-965

And this one:

http://www.discoveringgrace.com/2015/11/22/shepherd-of-the-hills/#comment-1143

Alfred states:
“Did you mean precisely that there were sexual overtones in what Bill liked in women?”

Bill liked women in high heals, again trim figures that presented themselves well, this included him sending the women to his brother to “suggest” the type of undergarments the women wore to give them perky breasts ( push up bras, that’s from Ruth). He wanted them to respond to him in an attentive way which I would call a sexual response. He groomed them to not be intimidated to sit on his lap, next to him in the car or from his touches. That was all done with a spiritual overtone under the banner of the chain of command teaching.

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

Alfred states:
“Did you mean precisely that there were sexual overtones in what Bill liked in women?”

Bill liked women in high heals, again trim figures that presented themselves well, this included him sending the women to his brother to “suggest” the type of undergarments the women wore to give them perky breasts ( push up bras, that’s from Ruth). He wanted them to respond to him in an attentive way which I would call a sexual response. He groomed them to not be intimidated to sit on his lap, next to him in the car or from his touches. That was all done with a spiritual overtone under the banner of the chain of command teaching.

(not said by formergothardite, it was just part of her post and quoting is... quoting.)

Okay, that might be the absolute creepiest sentence I've ever read in my life. An older, presumably straight man is the last person in the world I would want considering the perkiness of my breasts. Hell, I don't want anyone who isn't a professional giving me a fitting considering the perkiness of my breasts. :pb_confused:

Archived