IGNORED

Visionary Womanhood Is So Full of... A Number of Things

Witsec1

Actually, Christianity teaches that God created man and woman to live in blessed ignorance in the Garden of Eden, never questioning, never feeling shamed for their nakedness, just "existing," like any other ANIMAL, until Eve listened to that darn serpent. Once they ate of the fruit on the tree of KNOWLEDGE, they knew they were naked and they were embarrassed.

I guess by raising their children to never question authority and blindly follow rules, the fundies somehow hope they can live in their little Garden of Eden on earth until God calls for them.

So my question - why aren't they all nudists? If the best condition to live in is the same condition Adam and Eve were in before The Fall, why not attempt to emulate them in all things? Why be ashamed of nudity?

Anyway, it certainly explains their fear of KNOWLEDGE. After all, that's what got Adam and Eve kicked out of the garden...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was told different in my upbringing. Adam and Eve were not kicked out of Eden because they ate the fruit, its because they were egotistical. The tree of knowledge didn't give any knowledge, it was just an ordinary tree with a name. They knew what they did was wrong, but instead of asking for forgiveness, they blamed each other like arrogant immature children. If they said they were sorry they could still stay in Eden. So original sin was not disobedience or sex (as some fundies would put it) but pure egoism.

That's what I was taught in my Sunday School class

So, in just a few responses, we already have multiple versions/interpretations of Genesis. But, but...the Bible is the immutable word of God, with only one meaning!

And therein lies the danger of the fundies. They think they have the only true understanding of what the Bible tells us. You can't argue with them, because you're just...wrong. In their minds, it is akin to arguing with someone who wants to say the sky is red. Never mind that the sky is sometimes grey, sometimes blue, sometimes pink and gold, and sometimes even red - in their mind, the sky is eternally, immutably blue.

And that's what they drill into their kids, day after day, year after year. "We have the only right knowledge of the Bible and God's plan. Any deviation from what we teach you will result in hellfire for all eternity. People who have green hair, wear pants or bikinis or shorts, enjoy physical contact before marriage, use birth control...ad infinitum...are walking in darkness and are lost to God. It doesn't matter if they are kind, caring people who believe fervently in Jesus Christ and do good works in his name, or if they are kind, caring people who faithfully observe the precepts of Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Islam, Judaism, or if they are psychopathic serial killers, pedophiles, or rapists - they're all alike - which means they're not like us."

It's basically a version of "If you're not with us, you're against us."

Sigh...

Ugh. You know, making decisions is part of normal executive functioning. You have to start small and build from there, just like any other skill. Not letting them make small choices means that they're going to have to run to you for every little thing. "Mom, should I use the blue glasses or the red ones when I set the table?" "Mom, should I wear my black shoes or my blue ones?" "Mom, which laundry detergent should I buy?"

Archived